145 replies to this topic

#91 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

You are an immature buffoon. You tell everyone to grow up, yet you can't even spell, and THERE IS A SPELL CORRECTION ON THIS FORM FFS. YOU'RE grilling everyone because they aren't idiotically proud to break laws like you. You're NOT cool, you're not smart, and you are a child.

To show how dumb you are, you admitted to a crime (speeding) to an account that I easily traced back to find your real name. I am attending UBC. What are you doing? A 9-5 meaningless job, still in high school school perhaps?

I love posting on this form. Don't you?

#92 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

To be fair, speeding is speeding. Going 51 in a 50 is just as much speeding as going 105 in a 50.

When one decides to get on a soapbox and proclaim how good they are comapred to others, that gets ridiculous. (my 2 cents)

you are so wrong

if the road is open and clean going 160 kph can be safe.

If the road is congested then maybe 40 kph is gonna get one into serious trouble
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#93 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

you are so wrong

If the road is congested then maybe 40 kph is gonna get one into serious trouble

ICBC and the Police say otherwise.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#94 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

False - not from Canada, but the CDC released in 2011 stats on the number of people killed by drugs (misuse, OD, what-have-yous):

http://news.yahoo.co...-170409026.html

TUESDAY, Dec. 20 (HealthDay News) -- More Americans now die from drug overdoses than in car accidents, according to a new government report released Tuesday.

In 2008, poisoning deaths became the number one cause of accidental deaths in the United States and the leading cause of injury death in 30 states, according to the report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ninety percent of these poisonings were linked to drugs, with a surge in deaths from prescription painkiller overdoses reported.

"During the past three decades, the number of drug poisoning deaths has increased sixfold, from about 6,000 deaths in 1980 to over 36,500 in 2008," said report author Margaret Warner, an injury epidemiologist at CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, who added that this trend is only expected to continue.

The authors of the report found a 90 percent increase in poisoning deaths since 1999, while deaths from car accidents have dropped 15 percent in the same period.

Of course, it says car accidents and not speeding, but the numbers remain.

And drug addicts as well as successful suicide-rs have what bearing on this conversation?

#95 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

And drug addicts as well as successful suicide-rs have what bearing on this conversation?

Rewind to some of Pouria's comments. He has basically stated speeding is on the same illegality as drug trafficking and murder.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#96 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

most accidents occur at <20 kph

#97 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Then the police should ticket themselves for surpassing the limit on South Fraser by even a single km. Because they do it.
Posted Image

#98 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

most accidents occur at <20 kph

Highly doubt that...

The percentage of roads where you go less than 20Km's or driver's driving that slow is extremely small compared to 50Km's and greater; The only way an accident could happen at such a low speed compared to a higher speed is after someone's is braking before colliding, thus resulting in a lower speed.

Then the police should ticket themselves for surpassing the limit on South Fraser by even a single km. Because they do it.

Okay.

Edited by Armada, 10 September 2012 - 01:43 AM.

Posted Image

#99 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Never read the other comments but I can tell younwhatnwill happen. It happened to a friend of mine who is a lawyer. He did not pay his ticket, a few months later he went down to the states and was arrested at the border. Before he was released he had to pay the fine plus a penalty. If I were you I would pay it. Not worth the hassle.

#100 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

True but they also say spend kills. It does not kill. It is the driver. If speed kills then why are not all Germans dead as you can drive on the autobahn as fast as your car will go. I was driving 240 kmh on there lull the time and I am still alive.

#101 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

True but they also say spend kills. It does not kill. It is the driver. If speed kills then why are not all Germans dead as you can drive on the autobahn as fast as your car will go. I was driving 240 kmh on there lull the time and I am still alive.

Don't know if you're serious...

But way to take something way out of context and also the German driving licensing system is a lot better than ours here in BC. People actually know and are tought how to drive there.

Edited by Armada, 10 September 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Posted Image

#102 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Highly doubt that...

The percentage of roads where you go less than 20Km's or driver's driving that slow is extremely small compared to 50Km's and greater; The only way an accident could happen at such a low speed compared to a higher speed is after someone's is braking before colliding, thus resulting in a lower speed.

Okay.

been in a number of accidents myself.

I was stationary for most of them.

Fender benders don't get reported on average.

I a

#103 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

been in a number of accidents myself.

I was stationary for most of them.

Fender benders don't get reported on average.

I a

I'd like to see this statistic...

Because I got into an accident going 50Km's when I was sideswiped from a driver going through a stop sign, I know a few other friends who have experienced the same. .
Posted Image

#104 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'd like to see this statistic...

Because I got into an accident going 50Km's when I was sideswiped from a driver going through a stop sign, I know a few other friends who have experienced the same. .

well. one accident I was going over the Patella bridge. A lady on my right decided to cut in front of me just as traffic was coming to a halt. She broke heavily and came to a full stop. I also broke heavily and was just a meter away from her bumper when I came to a full stop. The guy behind also broke but rear ended me and pushed me into her. ICBC nailed both of them and gave me a clear pass.

She was stopped. I was stopped and he hit me at maybe 25kph. I still have back probs from this accident.

Edit

judging by their ages, they had both been driving for 20 plus years

Edited by hudson bay rules, 10 September 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#105 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

What's done is done. 124kph in an 80kph zone is stupid, but it's not the end of the world.

Likely it was a trap on a 4-6 lane hwy anyway. Man i hate those kinda speed traps and the lazyass cops who run 'em.

I don't know everyone missed this.

77 mph = 124 KM

60 MPH = 95 KM

I have no idea where you got the 80 kmph from.
Posted Image

#106 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

you are so wrong

That's adding environmental factors to it. I was merely defining what speeding is.

I agree going 40 over in a school zone is much different than going 40 over on an empty stretch of the I-5, both are by definition "speeding"

#107 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,482 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Yes, i misread 60mph and thought it was 50mph.

If it was 60mph, then it's still 27kph over. Not as bad, but obviously enough to get a ticket.

If you don't want to get a ticket, then don't go 20kph over the posted limit. This is actually an unwritten rule the cops around here use for their traps. (admitted to me by a cop)
Posted Image

#108 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,482 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Wondering if US cops have a similar unwritten rule. 12mph over the posted limit? 10? 15?
Posted Image

#109 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Do not listen to this dude. Your credit rating will be affected and you won't be able to get loans, apply for mortgages and might even be denied buying cars when they check your credit ratings.

Maybe not. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think that everything that gets sent to collection agencies necessarily affects your credit.

The way I understand it, only things in which credit is involved (loans, mortgages, credit cards, retail credit, utility bills, etc) can hurt / help your credit rating. An unpaid traffic ticket wouldn't fall into that category.

I got this from Equifax:

What are the most common factors that can negatively affect a credit score?

Here are the top, most common negative score factors. Note that the specific wording given by your lender may be different:

- Serious delinquency
- Serious delinquency, and public record or collection field
- Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown
- Level of delinquency on accounts is too high
- Number of accounts with delinquency is too high
- Amount owed too high on accounts
- Ratio of balances to credit limits on revolving accounts is too high
- Length of time accounts has been established is too short
- Too many accounts with balances

Most of the points mention accounts, so I don't think it applies in this case.

Having said that though, I still think he should just pay the ticket.
Posted Image

#110 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

The ticket probably had an appear date on it. You "have to" go to court to appear. If you do not show, you could also be issued a contempt of court citation for not appearing. It is at least another $300 fine plus court costs. Best thing is to just pay the ticket.

#111 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Wondering if US cops have a similar unwritten rule. 12mph over the posted limit? 10? 15?

Try one over in some cities in Louisiana and you will get a ticket.

#112 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Where are you from Ossi? If you're from the North then I suggest that you don't pay the ticket. If I was the one that got the ticket I'd pay it as I'm frequently driving down the coast (Washington, Oregon, California, and to a lesser extent Nevada and Arizona). If it was any other state I wouldn't pay it (how often in your life time would you be driving in Colorado, not more than three times).
* just an example but you know what I'm saying...

As for the laughable speeding debate...I've clicked over 100 mph (160kph). I'm not endangering anybody but myself when I'm going stupidly fast on a empty freeway. Obviously I wouldn't do that with traffic or on a windy road. If I get caught, I get caught, big whoop.
* I don't want to post the actual speed...somebody will go police officer on me LOL.

My normal speeds:

I-5 - 80 mph (128 kph)
B.C. - 71 mph (113.6 kph)

These speeds are fairly normal (traffic flow).

I've been driving for the last 7 years (actually 8, I drove before I even got my learner's). *I should be thrown in jail according to some of you...ROFL.
I've only gotten two tickets (speeding and running a red light).

I run red's all the time (at night on quiet intersections when 100% safe, why wait for no reason). Stop, wait a couple of seconds and go.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 10 September 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image

#113 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Oh, and that immature comment...how nice to hear it from a fellow UBC kid. Too bad you're still in school, kid. Say hi to an alumni.

Pro tip: singular is alumnus. But it's not like I should expect a UBC grad to know that :P

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#114 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

UPDATE:

Instead of paying the ticket I have opted to check the box titled "mitigation hearing". This option means I acknowledge my wrong doing and dispute the price of the ticket rather than the ticket itself. I figure its worth it, at best I get the ticket dropped down (from what I've heard by more than half) and if I lose its the same fine. This will also delay the ticket from being processed by at least a month. I can have the mitigation hearing with the judge via email - complain about being a student with limited budget etc. and get the fine reduced without ever leaving Canada. I think this is the best option.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#115 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Pro tip: singular is alumnus. But it's not like I should expect a UBC grad to know that :P

Them's fightin' words.

#116 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

WA state is the most anal when it comes to driving, which is not a bad thing, but they take this stuff very seriously. Pay the fine and get on with it, or don't do the crime if you can't to do the time. (or in this case pay up)

#117 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I hired a guy at one point who was a pretty decent employee for the most part. My company wanted us to attend a convention that was taking place down south. This is when I (and the owner of the company) found out that this employee had earned himself a criminal record in the States and was still banned from entering the country. So he didn't go.
Guess who got permanently laid off at the next slow-down of business?
Stuff like this can have lasting and widespread repercussions. Just pay the stupid $175.
Posted Image

#118 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

I run red's all the time (at night on quite intersections when 100% safe, why wait for no reason). Stop, wait a couple of seconds and go.

That is totally not acceptable.

#119 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

That is totally not acceptable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#120 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

well. one accident I was going over the Patella bridge. A lady on my right decided to cut in front of me just as traffic was coming to a halt. She broke heavily and came to a full stop. I also broke heavily and was just a meter away from her bumper when I came to a full stop. The guy behind also broke but rear ended me and pushed me into her. ICBC nailed both of them and gave me a clear pass.

She was stopped. I was stopped and he hit me at maybe 25kph. I still have back probs from this accident.

Edit

judging by their ages, they had both been driving for 20 plus years

Okay... But your experience doesn't reflect on every collision out there.

Show me the real statistics where you say most accidents happen under 20Km's

Edited by Armada, 10 September 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.