Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Speeding ticket in Washington State.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#121 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Do you believe all Canadian law is ethically sound?

You could believe whatever you want to believe. There are some people out there that think stealing is okay. I guess my core values are different than yours and I have a different perspective on breaking a law.

Edited by Pouria, 11 September 2012 - 01:43 AM.

Posted Image

#122 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

Wow, this thread has exploded, but is wonderfully entertaining.

I will go back to a point made by Common sense, and try not to distort it. That being that every reasonable driver exceeds the speed limit and makes judgement calls on the road that might not reflect static law. I mean I'll go through an intersection on a red, but the book tells me not to - even if I'm turning left and I'm trying to clear the intersection. I will also honk at those going excessively slow - which might even mean the speed limit - this is because they are a danger to other drivers on the road who are going reasonable speeds.

I smiled at this one :). We tried didn't we?

To all those frustrated by Pouria's comments just ignore him. The world as he see's it marks people villainous for using logic.

Lets see here, we've got "logic", common sense, Mr. 95 mph and someone who was hesitant to pay for the speeding ticket knowing full well that it could come back and bite him in the rear. Yes, my views and opinions don't use logic. What a topsy turvy world we live in.

Posted Image

#123 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Here, we have one who possesses the logic of comparing speeding to trafficking or tax evasion, as well as the logic of comparing murder also to trafficking or sexual assault.

"Yes, my views and opinions don't use logic" - Pouria

Your words, not mine.

Edited by Common sense, 11 September 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#124 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

What's the real argument here - one shouldn't speed (I agree with that), or speeding = drug trafficking (try arguing that with a judge)?

I've also debunked every single thing Poruia has tried to throw at me, including assertions that speeding kills as many people as drugs (false), or speeding is on par with other crimes like tax evasion or trafficking (not according to the punishment).

As for your last paragraph, feel free to ignore my posts if you don't like what I'm doing around here. Quite frankly, you're just as guilty of derailing this thread as anyone is.

Oh, and that immature comment...how nice to hear it from a fellow UBC kid. Too bad you're still in school, kid. Say hi to an alumni.

Debunk?? Maybe in your own world you did. You didn't debunk squat and you change the subject when I answer back some of your questions.

Posted Image

#125 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Here, we have one who possesses the logic of comparing speeding to trafficking or tax evasion, as well as the logic of comparing murder also to trafficking or sexual assault.

Your words, not mine.

Had to plus this.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#126 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Your words, not mine.

I think you got everything mixed up or you didn't get my point.

Posted Image

#127 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Debunk?? Maybe in your own world you did. You didn't debunk squat and you change the subject when I answer back some of your questions.

My posts which have not been replied to are below; feel free to go online and look for sources as you see fit:

http://forum.canucks...0#entry10894129
http://forum.canucks...0#entry10894135

Let's face it: when you're throwing out crap statements like "[s]peeding can kill just as many people as drugs, maybe even more," others will be skeptical of that until there's numbers. I've given you numbers; what have you given me besides empty rhetoric?

I think you got everything mixed up or you didn't get my point.

Hard to, when you admittedly don't employ logic.

Edited by Common sense, 11 September 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#128 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Okay... But your experience doesn't reflect on every collision out there.

Show me the real statistics where you say most accidents happen under 20Km's

kinda hard to get stats on something that for the most part goes unreported........however

What is a low speed collision?
Low speed collisions are those that are 10 mph or less. These types of car accidents typically will have little or no property damage to the vehicles involved. Yet, these low speed collisions, with no monetary damage, now make up the majority of injuries resulting from all car accidents.
How common are these accidents?
These low speed car accidents, and resulting injuries, are increasing in frequency. They make up the majority of all auto accidents. There is no way to know exactly how common they are, because a large number of these accidents are never reported.

http://mairschiropra...Collisions.html
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#129 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

My posts which have not been replied to are below; feel free to go online and look for sources as you see fit:

http://forum.canucks...0#entry10894129
http://forum.canucks...0#entry10894135

Let's face it: when you're throwing out crap statements like "[s]peeding can kill just as many people as drugs, maybe even more," others will be skeptical of that until there's numbers. I've given you numbers; what have you given me besides empty rhetoric?

Hard to, when you admittedly don't employ logic.

Whats the point of having logic in your thoughts when you actually don't use common sense in practice?

And the statement that you keep quoting me on was meant as sarcasm. Maybe you should also work on your reading comprehension.

Posted Image

#130 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

kinda hard to get stats on something that for the most part goes unreported........however

What is a low speed collision?
Low speed collisions are those that are 10 mph or less. These types of car accidents typically will have little or no property damage to the vehicles involved. Yet, these low speed collisions, with no monetary damage, now make up the majority of injuries resulting from all car accidents.
How common are these accidents?
These low speed car accidents, and resulting injuries, are increasing in frequency. They make up the majority of all auto accidents. There is no way to know exactly how common they are, because a large number of these accidents are never reported.

http://mairschiropra...Collisions.html

I'll admit to one thing. Most accidents do happen under the speed limit but I'm still gonna say its 40Km's and under, not 20K.

Edited by Armada, 11 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#131 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Whats the point of having logic in your thoughts when you actually don't use common sense in practice?

And the statement that you keep quoting me on was meant as sarcasm. Maybe you should also work on your reading comprehension.

Still giving me empty rhetoric. Try posting some credible facts or information (as I have) in this thread once in a while.

#132 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'll admit to one thing. Most accidents do happen under the speed limit but I'm still gonna say its 40Km's and under, not 20K.

So you don't think minor fender benders go unreported? Where are your stats? You asked for mine and yet you just ignore the obvious. Look around any parking lot and you'll see car after car with little dings and scratches that were done at low speed, I've driven maybe 500,000 km and have personally seen or been in about a dozen accidents as they happened. All but one had a car in it that was at a full stop. Yup. ZERO miles an hour and if they were hit @ 40 kph it would total one or both cars and you'd have have ambulances, police, firemen and wreckers on the scene. Don't trust me, don't trust your eyes, don't trust the link I sent you and don't trust common sense.

Just look what happens at low speed. Imagine what a car would look like @ 40 kph.

Click Here

Edited by hudson bay rules, 11 September 2012 - 03:22 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#133 HeatSikhing

HeatSikhing

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

To start off, this probably isn't worth it's own topic but I figured I should grab CDC's half-baked advice.

So I went down to the Seahawks game on Aug 30th, and watched a romping of the Raiders. It was fun until I got pulled over on the way back to Vancouver. I was doing 77 in a 60 mph zone, and as such the ticket was 175 USD. I was given 15 days to pay the ticket, via money order or in person. That time is quickly coming up.

Now here is where the confusion starts: I don't want to pay the ticket, and I'm likely not going to. If I don't pay the ticket, I become a "criminal" in Whatcom County and the ticket claims "You will lose your driver's license... failure to pay may result in a referral of your case to a collection agency". From what I gathered from the officer I was lucky, as anyone 20+mph over the speed limit can be taken straight to jail. Since there was such a big difference between my speed and the speed limit, I will not be contesting the ticket.

I'm wondering can they really do this, does Washington State have a deal with ICBC where if I fail to pay I could lose my license? I'm totally fine with not paying and therefore not being able to go to Whatcom County again - I can live with that. Are they able to contact ICBC and demerit me? Does anyone here have an outstanding ticket somewhere in the states and have neglected to pay?

Any advice is appreciated.

Suck it up and pay it princess. If you get pulled over in the future in Wash State you get to go to jail for unpaid tickets.

#134 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I got a ticket in Banff National Park, planning on paying it but now I'm curious if I would just get in trouble in Alberta or because it was the RCMP in a national park if it could affect my driving privileges in BC too. Anyone know?

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#135 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Suck it up and pay it princess. If you get pulled over in the future in Wash State you get to go to jail for unpaid tickets.

I'd knock your teeth out if you said that to my face. I'm not even trying to be e-tough, that seems more like your kind.

This thread was dedicated to the possible repercussions of not paying my ticket, and over 5 pages I have since got my answer. Save your judgement.

I got a ticket in Banff National Park, planning on paying it but now I'm curious if I would just get in trouble in Alberta or because it was the RCMP in a national park if it could affect my driving privileges in BC too. Anyone know?

They can't touch you in BC from what I understand. I can't find it right now but someone threw in an article about Alberta inter-province ticket - maybe on page 3 or 4. If your going back to Alberta and get pulled over again it might show up but I think you're fine.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#136 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,891 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'd knock your teeth out if you said that to my face. I'm not even trying to be e-tough, that seems more like your kind.

This thread was dedicated to the possible repercussions of not paying my ticket, and over 5 pages I have since got my answer. Save your judgement.

They can't touch you in BC from what I understand. I can't find it right now but someone threw in an article about Alberta inter-province ticket - maybe on page 3 or 4. If your going back to Alberta and get pulled over again it might show up but I think you're fine.

Thanks I did see that bit about Alberta, just wondered if it was different for me cause my ticket was in a national park which is therefore technically federal jurisdiction and not provincial.

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#137 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,891 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks I did see that bit about Alberta, just wondered if it was different for me cause my ticket was in a national park which is therefore technically federal jurisdiction and not provincial.

#138 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I got my first and only fine (speeding ticket) in Oregon on the I-5 last year. I was going 93 in a 65 (maybe 60?). I haven't paid it yet, I probably should get around to it someday

#139 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I got my first and only fine (speeding ticket) in Oregon on the I-5 last year. I was going 93 in a 65 (maybe 60?). I haven't paid it yet, I probably should get around to it someday

The stretch between Portland and Eugene OR is absolutely gorgeous. Flat lands and straight roadways. Was that the one you were on?

#140 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Unpaid tickets, but in the OP's case, it's a singular ticket.

From Milios Defense, a Seattle-based law firm:

http://www.washingto...icense-attorney

DWLS Third Degree

This is the most common criminal offense in the state of Washington. DWLS in the Third Degree is simply driving on a suspended license at a time when the person was eligible to have the license reinstated. The most common examples of this are when a person's license is suspended due to an unpaid traffic ticket, unpaid child support or not getting reinstated after a period of suspension. This probably is the most beatable charge in the Washington. Judges and prosecutors are primarily concerned with citizens being licensed and insured before they drive. Assuming the driver's criminal history is not significant and she gets her license reinstated, this charge will usually be reduced to an infraction if not dismissed completely.

#141 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Don't know if you're serious...

But way to take something way out of context and also the German driving licensing system is a lot better than ours here in BC. People actually know and are tought how to drive there.

serious, and it was in context as someone stated that speed kills. The only difference between B.C. system and the German system is that you have to take lessons and it is around 1000 euros to get it. Other then that there is no difference.

#142 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

The stretch between Portland and Eugene OR is absolutely gorgeous. Flat lands and straight roadways. Was that the one you were on?

It was half a kilometer from the Woodinville outlet stores, which is where I was headed.

#143 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Beats me how you get a speeding ticket on the I-5.

If there is a car on the side of the highway, then it's likely a state trooper.
Posted Image

#144 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

They have some very interesting ways. Radar on top of overpasses, slow-driving undercover cop cars, cops waiting at various bends of the highway.

It's funny, but more often than not, whenever I see a car on the side of the I-5, it's a broken-down vehicle.

#145 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

They have some very interesting ways. Radar on top of overpasses, slow-driving undercover cop cars, cops waiting at various bends of the highway.

It's funny, but more often than not, whenever I see a car on the side of the I-5, it's a broken-down vehicle.

Or we could all just buy radar detectors and not have to worry! :)

#146 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Or we could all just buy radar detectors and not have to worry! :)

Windshield mounting is illegal in some States.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.