#1 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,485 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I agree with this!

ACCORDING to a study by bike insurer Bennetts the desire to ride motorcycles is in your DNA.

With input from a psychologist, the study has theorised that motorcyclists have a genetic predisposition in the form a of a 'novelty-seeking' (NS) gene, which brings out a tendency for impulsive, exploratory and risk-taking behaviour.

The research from Bennetts found that the majority of bikers, 85%, were introduced to two wheels by a family member, with 11% saying a friend and 4% responding that it was a non-relative, including a partner or colleague.

The findings also discovered that bikers had the matching personality traits associated with the NS gene, with risk-taking (72%), low boredom threshold (71%) and spontaneity (69%) amongst the responses.

It was also found that 68% of bikers were introduced by an immediate family member, 9% by an aunt, uncle or cousin and 8% by a grandparent.

Motorcycling often defines a person, and this was shown by nearly three-quarters (73%) admitting that their bike defines who they are. As many as 62% said they couldn’t live without their bike and others even revealed that they consider their bike a family member (61%) or an extension of their personality (70%).

Psychologist Donna Dawson said of the findings: “Psychologists know from studies on twins that up to 60% of personality traits are inherited; however, environment, in the form of upbringing and opportunity, also has a role to play.

"Our research tells us that most bikers were introduced to biking through a family member and that all questions related to the ‘NS’ gene personality traits (such as being a risk-taker) and the biker’s emotional attachment to his or her bike resulted in very high scores.

"This reveals that the majority of biking families will be passing on an ‘NS’ gene, which in turn is also being reinforced by an environment in which bikers are setting an example and sharing their love of biking - it’s certainly ‘in the blood’ from what I can see!”

Source:

http://www.visordown...lood/21351.html

My baby:

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#2 Lups

Lups

Jebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Wow thats a pretty cool find.

Im for sure NOT a bike rider though.

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,940 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

That 'study' can apply to most risk-taking behavior. Like taking drugs.

Actually it can apply to any behaviour. A family member is far more likely to introduce you to learned habits than anyone else, yes. And family members have a related gene pool, yes.

imo There are too many studies.
Posted Image

#4 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yep, same study could find the same results for people that like to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Both my parents used to be avid bikers, they would regularly pack up and drive around BC and into Alberta on a whim.
I have zero desire to ever buy a motorcycle.
Posted Image

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Most of the people in the world ride bicycles or motorcycles / scooters as a means of transportation. Nothing to do with risk taking or boredom etc, etc.

too many studies.

#7 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yep, same study could find the same results for people that like to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

And travis likes to this without a parachute .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBrdl2sZWs&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 10 September 2012 - 04:25 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#8 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

He used a parachute....lame

:P
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

People who ride motorcycles are the worst kind of people

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

He used a parachute....lame

:P

yeah but he jumped out of the plane without one ::D

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#11 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

***Note to all: Read the definition of the F-Word in the context of the beginning of the clip before flaming or being outraged. Remember, this is satire and has nothing to do with being pejorative towards homosexuals.*** :)

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#12 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

***Note to all: Read the definition of the F-Word in the context of the beginning of the clip before flaming or being outraged. Remember, this is satire and has nothing to do with being pejorative towards homosexuals.*** :)

as much as i laughed my ass off at this , it still stereotypes harley davidson riders .

back in 1981 , i was at broadford , which was a music festival run by the hells angels MC , i wandered into the god squad bus and asked them if could i buy some amphetamines, for the next hour i recieved a lecture from a 6' 6" 250lb member about how i did not need drugs but rather jesus should be my co-pilot :lol:

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 10 September 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#13 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

as much as i laughed my ass off at this , it still stereotypes harley davidson riders .

back in 1981 , i was at broadford , which was a music festival run by the hells angels MC , i wandered into the god squad bus and asked them if could i buy some amphetamines, for the next hour i recieved a lecture from a 6' 6" 250lb member about how i did not need drugs but rather jesus should be my co-pilot :lol:

::D

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#14 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,485 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

People who stereotype are the worst kind of people.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#15 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

People who stereotype are the worst kind of people.

People who say people are the worst kind of people are the worst kind of people.

Wait a minute....

#16 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,485 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Some good things from bikers:

Posted Image

http://www.bacausa.c...t/AboutBACA.php

Bikers help kids:
http://bikershelpingkids.com/

Many like this:

http://www.nanaimoho...ge.aspx?pid=436

http://www.saskatoon...-kids/itemid_21

http://www.aimvancouver.com/calendar/

Marines like these guys:
http://en.wikipedia...._(organization)

Posted Image

#17 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,941 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

I beg to differ. Especially us Sport Riders.

Posted Image
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#18 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,381 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

That 'study' can apply to most risk-taking behavior...There are too many studies.

They're good for business.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.