65 replies to this topic

#31 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

I go to moxies all the time but I'm friends with like 6 girls that work there, so that I will not boycott. The people that work at restoraunts also make their living off tips, and alot of them are puttin themselves through school. So I think that's a bit of an unfair boycott, there's other people it hurts more than tryin to stick it to an NHL boss that won't feel it.

I dunno, you can do what you want, but there's another perspective on it

Shortsighted. What about the girls at Earls and Cactus Club? Are they less deserving of tips?

Over the long run, jobs follow the money.

...not many economists in here...
Posted Image

#32 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,360 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yeah - obviously we can't boycott everything. I can't really make a decision that will affect oil developments in Fort McMurray, or major systems software developments. But there are some obvious and also not-so-obvious places where I can make sure my dollars don't support a business venture that the owners are leaning on to provide income/accolades/etc, while they let the NHL rot to squeeze out a few extra dollars out of the players.

Restaurants and beer are the clear, easy choices. With so many other alternatives (that are usually better anyways), it's not really a burden to make sure I don't order Pizza Hut or Little Cesars, or buy Rickards, Heineken, or Corona for a few months.

One other way (which will be extra difficult, with no NHL hockey) is to not support AHL teams owned by NHL clubs/owners. Stick to Junior hockey (except the Blazers), SEL, KHL, etc.

I wasn't suggesting that no one bother with the identifiable alternatives - I was actually suggesting, albeit in not an entirely serious way, that there may even be other additional ways that people can use theirs, even if only "consumer" power, to take their business elsewhere. I think filling the NHL void with an alternative like the Swedish Elite League is actually right in line with or even more direct than the idea of choosing a different beer than Molson. If a rival to Comcast or Cablevision could be persuaded that there may be a market for alternative hockey, all the better. SEL games online? Spend some of our subscription money there instead? One more possibility. Just brainstorming here D-Mo.

#33 Fuhry

Fuhry

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

If fans boycott Home Depot for Sponsoring the NHL, home depot will either take their advertising dollar elsewhere or put pressure on the NHL to make a deal and get the season going.

LMAO, you're kidding right?

#34 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,493 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Shortsighted. What about the girls at Earls and Cactus Club? Are they less deserving of tips?

Over the long run, jobs follow the money.

...not many economists in here...

So those girls and people in general should have to go through having to find other jobs because we don't get to watch hockey?

Others should suffer in their real lives because I don't get to watch hockey? I think not. It would never happen anyways but the attitude is what kind of irks me about it. I mean boycotts in general are meaningless on a large scale because they never really happen. For individual piece of mind they're fine and if that's what you're going for the more power to you. Home depot will not be pressuring anybody, Pizza Hut will not see a hit to their business etc etc etc.

Seems pretty silly but as I said for individual choices and morals boycotts can be very good. Always nice to feel like you're contributing something to the greater good even if we're all just specs of dust resting on the cog of a bigger machine.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 11 September 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Saved_by_Jesus

Saved_by_Jesus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

September 15th - just like everything else.

I'm with you 100%. My boycott of everything NHL begins on the 15th. I will be away from this website (that I usually visit multiple times a day) until the lockout is over, and twice the length of the lockout has elapsed.

It looks like these might be my last days for a long while...

#36 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

this sucks

yeah and why boycott places owned by local owners ...

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#37 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

There's only one item on that list that even applies to me and I'm not skipping the games against Liverpool so it would be a completely pointless gesture for me to boycott companies who already don't get my business. I wish you the best of luck though.

rsz_avs.jpg

#38 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,894 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Boycott pants

#39 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Boycott pants

I haven't worn pants in years.
Posted Image

#40 16ToWin

16ToWin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

yeah and why boycott places owned by local owners ...

I'm gonna grab a lawn chair, a pack of mirco brewery beer and a home made pizza and plunk my butt down outside the owners house.( legally). With a picket sign!!!

Or better yet.... Who has Bettmans address???

Edited by 16ToWin, 12 September 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Home honey,.I'm high

#41 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Why don't we just skip the games in which we play crap teams like don't go to games where we vs. Oilers, Ducks, Flames, Avalanche, and Blue Jackets. I mean it would have some sort of an affect on the owners and the team.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

In reality a boycott such as this won't really accomplish anything, I'm sure diehard NHL fans make up a minuscule fraction of their consumers.

It's not really a dollars and cents thing to these owners if we start boycotting things like this. The effects will obviously hit the companies first, but it will all funnel in to those who are the cause: The NHL owners.

Look at the OP's list there for a start... That's thousands from one person over the course of the year. Granted not every person will have an impact like that, but there will be others with a harder one and others with a lesser.

The point is if we get these companies on our side, then the other investors in these companies will be less inclined to purchase NHL merchandise.

I will note: anyone who goes through with such boycotts, make your voice known: "All these companies are suffering because of the NHL." Then, it's only a matter of time.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#43 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well it's a start. Isn't Pegula (Sabres) some kind of gajillionaire? I remember TSN covering his wealth when he bought the team - he must have other investments.

I'm still not sure of the attack plan mate. The real direction should be to get a small group here to start an online boycott of NHL owner's businesses as well as boycotting all NHL sponsors (Bauer, Vitamin Water, Blackberry, Tim Hortons etc.). Once the group is big enough from here transfer those signatories to a coherent website. Spread knowledge of the website through facebook, twitter etc. Once the signatures is a decent size approach local news to get a fluff story done - doubling the awareness of your campaign. Throw the video of the news coverage on youtube and redirect all signatories to the video, sharing the video with their friends/colleagues. By then you might have enough attention to actually make national news or catch the attention of NHL owners. This will probably be at least 2 months. Start with a small group of petitioners here and finish your research as to NHL's top sponsors.

Best of luck.

That is a pretty good idea that might just work. I'll come to you for my plans to take over the world

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#44 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm gonna grab a lawn chair, a pack of mirco brewery beer and a home made pizza and plunk my butt down outside the owners house.( legally). With a picket sign!!!

Or better yet.... Who has Bettmans address???

14 @$$hole drive

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#45 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

First response suggests that we may as well not even bother. Other owner supporters then go on to suggest that if we do boycott, then we will cause these corporations to cut jobs. Spin control at it's finest. What's next, think of the children?

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#46 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

It's just not going to happen.

Reality sucks! The NHL only really needs to worry about maintaining the inroads they made in the States.

That in itself is confusing. LA just won the cup. That's HUGE for hockey in America and they're going to lockout for a season? Brilliant management.

However in Canada and the best hockey markets in America, people will flock back. Why? Because they love to watch hockey.

Are we really so up in arms about the $$$ or are we all just pissed off because we're going to miss hockey?

And we ARE going to miss it, which is why we'll be even more ready to watch it when it returns.

Suck it NHL and NHLPA!

#47 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Also, the holding company that Jeremy Jacobs owns operates the Harrison Resort Hotel, so add that to the list because it's local
Posted Image

#48 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Also, the holding company that Jeremy Jacobs owns operates the Harrison Resort Hotel, so add that to the list because it's local

Good to know. It's the old (/famous) one at the end of the strip, right? I was married there, and my parents live near there, so we usually go to dinner and dancing 1-2 times a year when visiting. But not if there's a lockout.

By the way, the 15th is tomorrow. I won't be back here until the lockout is over. Thanks everyone, and hope to see you again soon!
Posted Image

#49 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yay let's all bash our fists into a brick wall. It'll surely work.... :rolleyes:

And let's just hurt the people who work at those places because hockey matters more than them right?

Edited by The Lock, 14 September 2012 - 09:01 PM.

This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#50 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yay let's all bash our fists into a brick wall. It'll surely work.... :rolleyes:

And let's just hurt the people who work at those places because hockey matters more than them right?

Yet it's ok for the NHL owners to hurt the working people in all the support industries that go with the NHL though. We don't watch the owners in their boxes. We watch the players. This is our way of supporting them.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

#51 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Im in.
Not boycotting this site cause using their own site against them seems kinda right.

POWER TO THE PLAYERS!!
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#52 supersocco

supersocco

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

In 2009 Molson Coors purchased Granville Island Brewing

no Granville Island for you

#53 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Redraft six teams,start over.

#54 Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think what little part of brain you had left boycotted from the rest of you. Thread is asinine and so is the whole idea of boycotting things. It's not going to accomplish anything.

#55 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think what little part of brain you had left boycotted from the rest of you. Thread is asinine and so is the whole idea of boycotting things. It's not going to accomplish anything.

I wonder why you even bothered to get up this morning? I mean, nothing is possible. Why even try?

#56 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Once the NHL starts canceling regular season games, I will never purchase NHL merchandise again. I will also boycott the aforementioned companies forever. If enough people also did this, it would get the owners attention. Unfortunately, apathy rules the day. We, the fans, are being taken for granted and are idly sitting by and allowing it. The league stooges are in spin control and most fans are buying in. Whether the league stooges tell us we don't matter or not we should make a stand and actually boycott these owners and their business interests. I expect a league stooge to tell me how stupid I am for even trying. I don't care. I've made up my mind and I hope other fans will take the time to make their feelings known in whatever small way.

#57 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Once the NHL starts canceling regular season games, I will never purchase NHL merchandise again. I will also boycott the aforementioned companies forever.

I hate to break this to you then... The NHL has already cancelled regular all season games up to October 24th.
Posted Image

#58 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I hate to break this to you then... The NHL has already cancelled regular all season games up to October 24th.

Liar. You loved breaking it to me. It made you feel important.

I was unaware that the NHL canceled regular season games. My points still stand.

#59 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yet it's ok for the NHL owners to hurt the working people in all the support industries that go with the NHL though. We don't watch the owners in their boxes. We watch the players. This is our way of supporting them.

Of course it's not okay, but boycotting doesn't make us better than them. We'd basically be blindly turning our backs to the people working at these places. The only difference would be the owners have more money than most of us.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#60 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

<p>

Of course it's not okay, but boycotting doesn't make us better than them. We'd basically be blindly turning our backs to the people working at these places. The only difference would be the owners have more money than most of us.

The support industries have lost jobs and will lose more. Small businesses are suffering. That is fact. Whether people would lose jobs as a result of boycotts are merely speculation. Owner backers are acting as if those jobs have already been lost. More spin control as far as I'm concerned. Oh those poor owners!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.