The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Better Know a Boycott - How to influence NHL owners

D-Money

Well it's a start. Isn't Pegula (Sabres) some kind of gajillionaire? I remember TSN covering his wealth when he bought the team - he must have other investments.

I'm still not sure of the attack plan mate. The real direction should be to get a small group here to start an online boycott of NHL owner's businesses as well as boycotting all NHL sponsors (Bauer, Vitamin Water, Blackberry, Tim Hortons etc.). Once the group is big enough from here transfer those signatories to a coherent website. Spread knowledge of the website through facebook, twitter etc. Once the signatures is a decent size approach local news to get a fluff story done - doubling the awareness of your campaign. Throw the video of the news coverage on youtube and redirect all signatories to the video, sharing the video with their friends/colleagues. By then you might have enough attention to actually make national news or catch the attention of NHL owners. This will probably be at least 2 months. Start with a small group of petitioners here and finish your research as to NHL's top sponsors.

Best of luck.

It's just not going to happen.

Reality sucks! The NHL only really needs to worry about maintaining the inroads they made in the States.

That in itself is confusing. LA just won the cup. That's HUGE for hockey in America and they're going to lockout for a season? Brilliant management.

However in Canada and the best hockey markets in America, people will flock back. Why? Because they love to watch hockey.

Are we really so up in arms about the $$$ or are we all just pissed off because we're going to miss hockey?

And we ARE going to miss it, which is why we'll be even more ready to watch it when it returns.

Suck it NHL and NHLPA!

• 3 weeks later...

Once the NHL starts canceling regular season games, I will never purchase NHL merchandise again. I will also boycott the aforementioned companies forever. If enough people also did this, it would get the owners attention. Unfortunately, apathy rules the day. We, the fans, are being taken for granted and are idly sitting by and allowing it. The league stooges are in spin control and most fans are buying in. Whether the league stooges tell us we don't matter or not we should make a stand and actually boycott these owners and their business interests. I expect a league stooge to tell me how stupid I am for even trying. I don't care. I've made up my mind and I hope other fans will take the time to make their feelings known in whatever small way.

<p>

Of course it's not okay, but boycotting doesn't make us better than them. We'd basically be blindly turning our backs to the people working at these places. The only difference would be the owners have more money than most of us.

Archived