The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jews, Muslims stage circumcision march in Germany

key2thecup

There was a similar thread on CDC a couple of months ago. The subject was discussed at length. Hospitals in BC consider the practice a cosmetic procedure that has ZERO health benefits.

Mutilating a baby's genitals is wrong and it should be banned the world over. I don't care if the baby is a girl or boy. It leads to pain, suffering and even death. Evolution or creation, the skin is there for a reason.

Link to other thread.

/topic/333117-muslim-and-jewish-groups-denounce-german-circumcision-ruling/page__hl__circumcision">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/333117-muslim-and-jewish-groups-denounce-german-circumcision-ruling/page__hl__circumcision

There was a similar thread on CDC a couple of months ago. The subject was discussed at length. Hospitals in BC consider the practice a cosmetic procedure that has ZERO health benefits.

Mutilating a baby's genitals is wrong and it should be banned the world over. I don't care if the baby is a girl or boy. It leads to pain, suffering and even death. Evolution or creation, the skin is there for a reason.

Link to other thread.

/topic/333117-muslim-and-jewish-groups-denounce-german-circumcision-ruling/page__hl__circumcision">http://forum.canucks...l__circumcision

That's not what the doctors are saying at all. They said there are health benefits, but there are also risks. The health benefits are not so strong they recommend everyone get it. The risks are not so strong they recommend against it.

The health benefits are well documented. People who are circumcised not only have a much lower risk of infection but they are much less likely to get STDs, most notably HIV.

I didn't say that - what I'm saying is, why can't religious people be involved in discussing these subjects - I didn't say "religion" I didn't say "religion is the only body that should be able to voice their opinion"..basically, what the person I was replying to was saying was "anyone can have their say except for religious people" - and I asked "Why"? What give them the right to dictate who can or who can't be involved. That's no different than say a religious person saying no one else has the right to decide on something.

Do you understand what I'm saying now?

BTW, in case you missed the numerous threads on abortion, I'm pro choice.

How did abortion get dragged into this? If you are old enough to get pregnant you are certainly old enough to make your own decision about an abortion. Parental consent should NEVER be required.

Infant circumcision is abhorrent. It's genital mutilation. Religion is no excuse. If only Canada had as much courage as some European countries to stand up to religious traditions.

I'm not asking people with religious convictions to shut up about them. I'm asking the rest of us with convictions for nobler secular ideals, like the right to sovereignty over your own body, to drown them out.

I didn't say that - what I'm saying is, why can't religious people be involved in discussing these subjects - I didn't say "religion" I didn't say "religion is the only body that should be able to voice their opinion"..basically, what the person I was replying to was saying was "anyone can have their say except for religious people" - and I asked "Why"? What give them the right to dictate who can or who can't be involved. That's no different than say a religious person saying no one else has the right to decide on something.

Do you understand what I'm saying now?

BTW, in case you missed the numerous threads on abortion, I'm pro choice.

How did abortion get dragged into this? If you are old enough to get pregnant you are certainly old enough to make your own decision about an abortion. Parental consent should NEVER be required.

Infant circumcision is abhorrent. It's genital mutilation. Religion is no excuse. If only Canada had as much courage as some European countries to stand up to religious traditions.

I'm not asking people with religious convictions to shut up about them. I'm asking the rest of us with convictions for nobler secular ideals, like the right to sovereignty over your own body, to drown them out.

Infant Male Circumcision and Future Health Disparities

The health benefits of male circumcision (MC) have been extensively documented in observational studies1and by randomized controlled trials in Africa showing that MC reduces heterosexual transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection from women to men by 55% to 76%2- 4and provides significant protection against human papillomavirus infection.5Male circumcision is negatively associated with prostate cancer in men6and with cervical cancer in female partners of men infected with human papillomavirus.7

The positive health benefits of MC occur primarily in adulthood, yet MC performed in infancy has many advantages over delayed MC.8Infant MC carries lower risks,9heals faster,10and is less costly than adult MC.11In addition, infant circumcision provides protection at the time of sexual debut, which increases the protective effect against both prostate and penile cancers6and also averts the risk of HIV transmission due to resumption of sexual activity prior to healing.11

http://0-archpedi.ja...ticleid=1352168

It's pretty obvious that there are benefits and there are risks but the medical literature appears to be tilted more in favour of the benefits. I'm not saying circumcision should be mandatory but I do not think it should be banned. People need to forget religion for a second and focus on if they feel the benefits out way the risks for themselves and/or their families.

Archived