325 replies to this topic

#61 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

New connector is so unnecessary...wtf...
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#62 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

...not impressed at all...S3 looks better IMO
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#63 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

New connector is so unnecessary...wtf...

Unncecessary, but great business move. They're expected to make $100 million off the dock adapters or something in the short future.

But hey, they made it so its faster, and smaller so they could make the whole iPhone thinner, and lighter. Also so they could make the speakers larger at the bottem and move the headphone jack to the bottem aswell from the top.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#64 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Apple claims the iPhone 5 is the worlds thinnest smart phone.
Same price as the iPhone 4S. $199 for 16GB $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB.
PREORDER: Sept 14, Release Sept 21st CANADA TOO!

Edited by PlayStation, 12 September 2012 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image

#65 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Actually it is necessary moving forward, imo it's good that they did it. 30pin is a huge and archaic connector, and it you want slimmer, more power efficient (old connector takes up room for what could be replaced by a battery) phones you need a connector that can adapt to that.

Gotta give Apple where credit is due, they kept that old connector for almost a decade.

Posted Image

#66 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,494 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Damn it. I'm going to have to get an adapter for my dock :angry:
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#67 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

well, i'm sold. 16GB model it is for me. I'll be doing the preorder on friday.

#68 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

DANG! I'm so glad it'll be released in Canada on the same date! SO STOKED!

Apple introduces new 50% thinner iPod nano with 2.5" multitouch display Posted Image

Posted Image

Taller iPod Touch with metal backing.
Thinner with a A5 chip!
Posted Image

Posted Image

iPod touch gets Siri.

iPod touch available in 5 colours.
Posted Image

Edited by PlayStation, 12 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image

#69 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Phil Schiller Announces the iPhone 5, Preorders Begin Friday, In Store Sept. 21

Posted 09/12/2012 at 10:18am | by J.R. Bookwalter

Following a rousing introduction by CEO Tim Cook, senior marketing VP Phil Schiller takes the stage at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco to announce the iPhone 5, which pretty much matches to a tee what has been leaked and rumored in recent weeks.

Wasting no time in a likely packed media event, Apple senior VP or market Phil Schiller has introduced the iPhone 5, which claims to be 18 percent thinner than the current iPhone 4S at only 7.6mm and 20 percent lighter than its predecessor.

As rumored, the iPhone 5 includes a new four-inch display with a 16:9 aspect ratio at 1136 x 640 resolution and a 326ppi Retina Display. "This is the monumental challenge we had," Schiller notes. "Can you make a phone with more features that is smaller and lighter? Anyone can make a bigger phone."

Schiller claims the iPhone 5 is designed for a user's hand, but the larger display will allow for a fifth row of icons to be displayed. All of Apple's built-in apps have already been updated for the taller display, while third-party apps yet to be updated will simply run as before with black bars taking up the extra space.

The iPhone 5 screen also includes 44 percent more color saturation and integrated touchscreen. "This is the most accurate display in the industry," Schiller boasts. "The touch sensors are integrated right into the display itself. We removed a layer and made it sharper. This is the world's most advanced display, and I couldn't be prouder of it."

Also as rumored, the iPhone 5 brings "ultrafast wireless" in the form of HSPA+, DC-HSDPA "and yes, LTE," Schiller adds. "There's now a single chip for voice and data, and a single radio chip. And we have a unique Apple advantage with a dynamic antenna."

Despite the complexities of 4G LTE, the iPhone 5 will run on an impressive list of carriers around the globe, including Canada, South Korea, Japan and a number of European locales. The faster wireless also brings 802.11n at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for up to 150 Mbps transfer rates.

Of course, faster performance is also part of the iPhone 5, courtesy of a new A6 processor which brings twice the CPU speed and twice the graphics power. Calling it a "huge jump in performance," Schiller notes the A6 processor is actually 22 percent smaller.

Following a demo of EA Studios' new Real Racing 3, Schiller moved on to the iPhone 5 battery life, which promises to exceed the iPhone 4S with 225 hours of standby, 40 hours of music playback and eight hours of web browsing under either 3G or LTE.

The iPhone 5 also gets a camera upgrade, with a new dynamic low light mode, precision lens alignment and sapphire crystal construction, all in a 25 percent smaller form factor. The new handset also promises 40 percent faster photo capture and even better low-light performance.

In addition to Shared Photo Streams in iOS 6, the iPhone 5 also introduces Panorama mode for taking beautiful photographs with a seamless transition between multiple shots. The front-facing FaceTime camera is now 720p HD, and the rear-facing 1080p HD camera improves further on video stabilization while enhancing face detection.

Also improved on the iPhone 5 is the handset's audio, with three microphones located at bottom, front and rear, plus an improved speaker design that's 20 percent smaller than before. Wideband audio promises to better utilize more of the frequency spectrum, and the company promises 20 partners for the feature at launch.

The iPhone 5 also introduces what Apple is calling "Lightning," a new, smaller dock connector that matches the one seen in recent leaked images. The new connector is all-digital, but Apple isn't throwing the baby out with the bath water, thanks to a new 30-pin dock connector adapter that will keep the iPhone 5 working with older accessories.

Following a recap of iOS 6 features, Schiller noted the iPhone 5 will be available as usual in black or white before winding down with a video of designer Jonathan Ive extorting the virtues of Apple's latest handset.

"Never before have we built a product with this level of fit and finish," Ive says of the iPhone 5 in the video's wrap-up.

Finally, the lights went up and Schiller hit the stage for the information you've all been waiting for. Pricing for the iPhone remains the same at $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB with a two-year agreement, while the iPhone 4S moves to $99 for 16GB and the iPhone 4 will now be offered as the company's freebie, eclipsing the now-defunct iPhone 3GS.

Preorders for the iPhone 5 begin Friday, September 14 and will ship in nine countries on September 21, expanding to 100 countries and 240 carriers by December.

http://www.maclife.c...y_store_sept_21

#70 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

The 5 is alright....i'll be sticking with the 4s for now. I don't see anything that makes me want to go rush out an get a new phone.

I like the Nano though....i'll definitely be getting one of those.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#71 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Am I the only one not impressed with this new phone? I expected something a lot better...especially to keep up/pull away with/from Samsung.

Edited by NikiShiz, 12 September 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image
NikiShiz

#72 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Am I the only one not impressed with this new phone? I expected something a lot better...especially to keep up/pull away with Samsung.

Underwhelming for sure. Slightly larger screen, slightly thinner, slightly less heavy, makes it a slightly interest inducing.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#73 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Underwhelming for sure. Slightly larger screen, slightly thinner, slightly less heavy, makes it a slightly interest inducing.

if you have an i phone 4s already, that is.

for those of us without a i phone (or smartphone at all) it makes it very interesting.

also, it's twice as fast and has better everything in the hardware dept.

#74 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

if you have an i phone 4s already, that is.

for those of us without a i phone (or smartphone at all) it makes it very interesting.

also, it's twice as fast and has better everything in the hardware dept.

Do yourself and your wallet a solid and pick up a new iphone 4s at a much discounted price. Great phone, i promise you won't be disappointed in getting it over the just slightly improved iphone 5. Spend the savings on the components for the 4s that you will need anyways.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 12 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#75 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Do yourself and your wallet a solid and pick up a new iphone 4s at a much discounted price. Great phone, i promise you won't be disappointed in getting it over the just slightly improved iphone 5. Spend the savings on the components for the 4s that you will need anyways.

$100 difference or so, why wouldnt you get the latest? Heck it'll have higher resale value for when your wanting to upgrade to a newer phone later on.
Posted Image

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

funny how all the "reviewers" are using a totally out of date version of android (gingerbread) to compare to the newest version of iOS...

there's a bunch of reasons why android is great, and in some ways better than iOS, and instead of typing it out, i'll just point you to this, completely up to date article, instead:
http://blog.chron.co...oid-smartphone/

Is that a wind up? Did you even read it?

The guy lists all the reasons for being unlikely to go to Android..........and the one where he says "everyone in his family" is on an Apple sings out volumes for an Android.

Even reading some of the feedback, the only guy convincing (as I point out above is one of the techies who want to be constantly buggering about with his phone.

The ability to install home screen widgets that allow you to turn features like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS on and off quickly

Dear me, really? He is telling us he is wanting to constantly turn his wifi and bluetooth on and off...........he needs to get a life, I can't remember when I LAST did that.

Everyone in my family has an iPhone, and almost all of us use Macs. :)
I wonder why?...........Killer Fail there then.

The latest update to OS X has ties into iOS, most notably in its Notification Center and Messages. I like that type of integration and I’m hesitant to give it up.
He is meant to be telling us what sucks about the iPhone

I like the fact that I don’t have to worry about malware on iPhones, thanks to Apple’s heavy-handed curation of the iTunes App Store. Malware on Android is a growing problem, and that’s a serious concern for me.
As it should be for anyone...........don't tell me that is an Android problem :)

Finally, I’ve got a lot invested in iPhone apps. I haven’t totaled up how much I’ve spent, but I suspect over time it’s been well over $150 for the apps I use regularly.
No doubt about it the Apple Apps are first rate.

Update: One other aspect that could prevent me from making the leap is the way Android devices are updated. Or, more specifically, the way they often are not.

Too often, Android devices are slow to get updates of the operating system as handset makers and telcos adapt the latest version for existing smartphones. In many cases, those updates may never come.

That’s not the case with iOS. Apple provides major updates at least once a year, and usually there another update between those that provides a few new features. Eventually, older phones get left behind, but Apple keeps them in the fold for a long time. Just ask anyone still using an iPhone 3GS.

Yeh yeh........they all SAY they are looking very hard at Android..........but come the big decision they know what Apple gives them. Security, style and reliability...............oops there goes another ANDROID FALLING BY THE WAYSIDE

Edited by Bodee, 12 September 2012 - 11:56 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#77 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Certainly isn't the huge shot across the bow of Samsung that they SHOULD have been aiming for...

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#78 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

$100 difference or so, why wouldnt you get the latest? Heck it'll have higher resale value for when your wanting to upgrade to a newer phone later on.

$100 savings allows you to go and purchase necessary accessories imo and it allows you use a tried and test platform with a tried and tested OS and other software such as Google's mapping system, something Apple seeks to replace with their own version of.

It's not that $100 bucks is a big deal to everyone, but for those who like to spend wisely and effectively, it makes a little sense to save on other purchases rather than spend twice the amount that you may have saved on not only a new phone, but also new accessories.

#79 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Certainly isn't the huge shot across the bow of Samsung that they SHOULD have been aiming for...

Indeed. Seems like a weak response, but i'm sure in their minds a much needed one.

I'll wait till the next one (6) I think before I upgrade again.

#80 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Video is up!
Beautiful! :')

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/#video

WOW at the build quality!

Edited by PlayStation, 12 September 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image

#81 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

the Ipod touch finally comes out with a light. It's about damn time.

#82 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Don't worry they'll just keep suing Samsung.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#83 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Don't worry they'll just keep suing Samsung.

'Apple' will be changing their name to 'iTrolls' in accordance with their current corporate brand image.

#84 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

After seeing what the "new" iPhone is like, I'm going to buy RIM stocks. Cheap as hell, and only going to go up when BB10 is released.
Posted Image

#85 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

lol, blackberry is done
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#86 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

i wonder if Samsung is busy drawing up some knock off products right now to try and cash in on apple's iphone 5 incoming success
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#87 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

How does one make a huge shot across the bow in what is basically a latest fad contest? You can only fabulize so much....

#88 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

i wonder if Samsung is busy drawing up some knock off products right now to try and cash in on apple's iphone 5 incoming success

What I wonder is how people become so devoted to their cell phone brand they are almost as zealous as the posters in the God threads! Whatever the methods one day this will go down as a case model in future marketing classes.

#89 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

lol, blackberry is done

I didn't come in here to troll the iSheeps. So I do appoligize for talking about Blackberry's in here, but I jus thought I'd point out that outside of North America, Blackberry's are still one of the top phones, so no, they aren't quite done.
Posted Image

#90 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,494 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm drooling already. Looks beautiful.

It sounds like they've gotten rid of Google Maps with iOS6 but the Apple-designed maps app looks pretty similar

They haven't accounted for the loss of the YouTube app but I'm guessing you can just go to the mobile website and make a home screen badge.

Edit: sorry nvm - google has made a YouTube app already lol
http://www.digitaljo.../article/332636
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.