The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could the Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup by default?

Grapefruits

This could be interesting...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Mackie Sep 10, 2012

At this rate, the Montreal Canadiens will win the Stanley Cup this season. But the Hart and Conn Smythe winners won't be players, they'll be lawyers.

If lawyer Michael Cohen gets his way, Canadiens' players will be the only NHLers not locked out when the current CBA expires at midnight on Saturday. The Montreal-based lawyer believes the NHL cannot lock out the Habs because the union is not officially certified by the Quebec Labour Board. Cohen, on behalf of Canadiens' players, has sent a cease and desist letter to the Habs ownership and the NHL. At the same time, Cohen presumably set a hefty legal bill to the players.

If this move is successful, the players will likely be paid during a lockout but won't be expected to perform the duties of their occupation (i.e. playing hockey). Habs ownership would be well within their rights at that point to prevent players from playing in Europe.

The players could make a further mockery of the situation by showing up for training camp, ready to perform. They could insist the coaches and support staff be made available to them. They do, after all, want to work. Wouldn't it be great to have one team conducting business as usual while the other 29 are on the sidelines?

And if the Molsons really wanted to turn the screws on the players, they could at least attempt to force players to engage in other activities for the organization. Rogue management types have been known to force injured employees to walk the sidewalks wearing sandwich boards promoting their business. Heck, the players could always fill the jobs of laid off office workers during the strike.

It all sounds silly - and it is. But sometimes you just have to laugh at the absurdity of it all. The only people who stand to benefit from the lockout are the ones who had a hand in creating it: the lawyers.

Or... they settle just in time for the playoffs, skip the entire regular season.

All 30 teams make the playoffs, with LA and NJD getting first round byes based on last year's playoff results.

It may be the only way Columbus, the Islanders and Toronto make the post-season.

:lol:

Or... they settle just in time for the playoffs, skip the entire regular season.

All 30 teams make the playoffs, with LA and NJD getting first round byes based on last year's playoff results.

It may be the only way Columbus, the Islanders and Toronto make the post-season.

:lol:

I've looked at a few of the bright sides for a lockout (not that I want one, just saying if there is one, here is the silver lining):

Kesler gets time to heal.

Raymond can work on his skating. :lol:

Team Canada can ice the best roster possible at the WC.

CHL/AHL/College hockey/Fringe Leagues (ECHL, IHL, USHL) get more exposure.

More time for Kassian/Jensen/Gaunce/Tanev to develop or develop further.

A whole year without having to watch Marchand/Lucic and Co.

:towel:

I've looked at a few of the bright sides for a lockout (not that I want one, just saying if there is one, here is the silver lining):

Kesler gets time to heal.

Raymond can work on his skating. :lol:

Team Canada can ice the best roster possible at the WC.

CHL/AHL/College hockey/Fringe Leagues (ECHL, IHL, USHL) get more exposure.

More time for Kassian/Jensen/Gaunce/Tanev to develop or develop further.

A whole year without having to watch Marchand/Lucic and Co.

:towel:

So the question is moot...But.....

I imagine the Habs would only have to show up to as many games as the lock-out was in effect. Go out for the pre-game skate, stand at attention for the national anthem, and then be declared the winners by default as the other team is not there because their owner has locked them out and they have all dispersed to other countries or leagues.

If this say goes on until December, the Habs will already have a 40 point head start on the other teams!

Archived