Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WeatherWise

[VIDEO] Why Pavel Bure Was Truly One of a Kind: Debunking the Myths and Criticisms.

23 posts in this topic

Impressive! I was fairly young and didn't follow hockey that closely until the WCE era. It was really nice to see these clips of Bure, usually all I see are the "overplayed" highlight reels. To have all this footage from two and a half games is quite amazing.

It speaks volume when Gretzky would have extended his career to play with Bure ::D, too bad it didn't happen..

I remember it well, WW. Bure was something special and "that mean streak" very much meant that he could take care of himself out there. He was often targeted out there with 2-3 guys mugging him, but that didn't deter him. He fought, clawed and clambered his way around them and had a relentless determination. He played with an edge as well as skill and speed.

Very well said, thanks for reminding me of his brilliance... :)

Bure at his prime in today's game would absolutely demolish the league.

Thank you for putting these videos together. Watching them has really brought back a lot of great memories. It has also reminded me that the legend of Pavel in my mind is not a romanticized memory, but that Pavel was that good.

I was in my early teenage years when Pavel was playing in his prime for the Canucks. His playing style is what turned me into a lifelong hockey fan. I will never forget the excitement when he touched the puck. You just knew something exciting was going to happen... My dad has always said the only person who was better in the end to end rush was Bobby Orr.

The only thing in my life as a hockey fan that has come anywhere close were the first few years when Ovechkin was so dominant. He had that ability to be exciting almost every time he touched the puck as well.

Thanks again...

mogilny had more talent

bure did more with his talent.

Also one of the most 'intense' players i've ever seen. It was a bit weird to see, coming from him, since he looked like a choir boy.

1874103_o.gif

"Heads up, Shane."

Yeesh. After that nobody really touched him.

Also one of the most 'intense' players i've ever seen. It was a bit weird to see, coming from him, since he looked like a choir boy.

1874103_o.gif

"Heads up, Shane."

Yeesh. After that nobody really touched him.

Great vid! Really do miss watching Pavel a lot. Could have done without seeing Messier in our uniform again -_-

Absolutely! He should have been retired before Nassy IMO. The absolute best hockey talent Canuck fans have ever had the pleasure of watching and one of the best in the history of the game too.

mogilny had more talent

bure did more with his talent.

I also understand even now, there is talk that the Canucks have tried to honour him and, to date, he has knocked it back. I wonder what created such a grudge for him here?

http://hfboards.hock...5&postcount=332

I think the Griffiths family put a high priority on winning, as did McCaw.

Yes Bure (through Gillis) had to file for arbitration before the Canucks settled his contract claim for the lockout guarantee. Also the Canucks did not pay his signing bonus on time for the 1994 contract that was signed after the Cup finals - they held off until September.

Bure set this out in an interview that he gave jointly to Tony Gallagher and Al Strachan after leaving the Canucks:

Why I wanted out: Bure finally lists reasons why he demanded trade from Vancouver; [Final C Edition]

Tony Gallagher. The Province. Vancouver, B.C.: Jan 20, 1999. pg. A.52.FR (Copyright The Province 1999)

And:

As Bure stated as reported by Strachan:

And his quotes as reported by Tony Gallagher:

Add those issues to the bait and switch Quinn tried to pull by substituting lower Canadian dollars for US dollars at the contract signing.

As Gallagher wrote quoting Bure on that issue:

And Strachan on this point - also note the Canucks forced Bure to partly pay for his release out of his own pocket:

It seems pretty clear the "little weasel" in all this was not Pavel Bure.

http://hfboards.hock...38&postcount=33

With the Canucks it is a matter of sifting through the bafflegab and BS as occurred with Larionov and Nedved:

http://hfboards.com/...er#post22488118

Or Krutov:

http://hfboards.com/....php?p=22716072

The Canucks under Quinn pulled a bait and switch at the last minute putting in Canadian dollars in the SPC with Bure. The agent (Salcer) caught that and the deal had to be re-done. The usual sequence is that the deal is done and then the team reduces it to the form of the SPC incorporating the various terms as agreed. It is reviewed by the agent and then signed. In this case Salcer noticed the currency difference and he would have told Bure who you can well imagine would be incensed since no regular player let alone a superstar was being paid in the de-valued Canucks buck. The deal was re-written and signed. Yet another PR disaster for the Canucks and yet another episode of ticking off your superstar.

Bure held out after Burke came on board as GM. In 1997- 98, the year in which Quinn was fired and Keenan was hired and was part of the GM by committee approach as well as coach, Bure played all 82 games and notched 51 goals only Selanne and Bondra had more goals at 52).

Following that season Burke was hired and it was then that Bure refused to play any further on the advice of his new agent who replaced Ron Salcer. The name of this new agent?

Mike Gillis.

This is not a surprise since it was Burke who was instrumental in the previous decisions in not offering Bure a contract so he could get a Canadian visa, left him sitting around in the US and insisted Bure pay part of his own transfer fee. Plus Bure was now being represented by Gillis who was in no mood to play any more games with the Canucks.

There were claims that Bure clashed with Trevor Linden and Mark Messier - but that does not jibe with statements those players have made.

Trevor Linden seemed to think that Bure had sufficient reason to want out:

And Messier's take on Pavel's holdout?

Bure never did threaten to hold out during the 1994 play-offs - that is patently untrue. First Quinn claimed he was told this by "one of my guys" (McPhee???) and then Quinn had to admit that was untrue but much too late.

While Quinn tried to blame the Bure hold out rumour on the media making up stories. It was just another story planted by the Canucks with the Canucks friendly media when the negotiations turned nasty - just like has been done with other players like Linden, Ohlund, Umberger, Klatt, etc.

Pat Quinn finally went on HNIC and confirmed that Bure never threatened to walk out but the damage had already been done:

http://archives.cbc....pics/1459-9680/

Even Burkie later publicly confirmed it was a Bure vs Canucks management over trust and loyalty issues after trading him but many seem to want to ignore the plain facts and continue to believe that Pavel threatened to hold out during the Stanley Cup Play-offs:

I don't think I would have been able to play for a team that didn't show me any respect for so many years....

Those were great days. Fun, exciting hockey to watch! Bure was the best talent we've ever had. It was great to see some footage of Slegr in there too.

Wow i never saw Bure, knew he was great but not this great.

From those clips, you realize Bure was the total package. Offensensively gifted with speed and so hard to knock the puck off him, but man he was a big a strong guy that could hit. Also wasn't a lazy defensive player, he is just all over the ice.

In short, Pavel was terribly mistreated throughout his entire time in Vancouver. Years of being taken advantage of, being robbed, and deceived by the team. He absolutely despised the team for what happened, and rightfully so.

There are so many people who have misunderstood Bure's situation in Vancouver. He joined the team as a jubilant kid and left as a cold, betrayed, exploited individual. Meanwhile, he still made sure to put on a show for the fans, even with the weight of the team bringing him down.