The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs sign Goalie Ben Scrivens to a 2 Years Contract

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405098

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced on Wednesday that they have signed goalie Ben Scrivens to a two-year contract.

Scrivens, who split last season between the Maple Leafs and the AHL Toronto Marlies, is projected to stick with the Maple Leafs as the club's back-up behind James Reimer. Jonas Gustavsson, who appeared in 42 games last season for Toronto, signed a two-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings this summer as a free agent.

Scrivens, who turned 26 on Tuesday, was 4-5-2 with a 3.13 goals against average in 12 games for the Maple Leafs last season. He was 22-15-1 with four shutouts for the Marlies in 39 regular season appearances and led the AHL with a 2.04 goals against average. He backstopped the Marlies on the team's run to the Western Conference title and a berth in the Calder Cup final.

The native of Spruce Grove, Alberta was a restricted free agent and earned $600,000 at the NHL level last season.

Unless Gillis wanted a cheap backup signed to a contract as part of what's coming back - like Scrivens, who also happens to be Ivy League-educated, which Gillis appears to place some value on.

It's possible, but I still doubt that Luongo would waive to be a Leaf, anyway.

Fair enough, they have two young goalies with upside but I doubt either James or Ben here will be able to take the reins and run with it the way that a legit #1 in the NHL could... James is probably still a 1B, better suited to be a backup but has the upside to start his share of games (like Schneider, TBH) and from what I've seen I really like Ben's calm demeanor in net, he doesn't seem to overreact but just gets his frame in front of the puck and lets it hit him... in the future he could very well become a #1 for the Blue and White (though I doubt that they would be able to bring T.O. to the promised land of the second season)

• 4 months later...

Archived