The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Ambassador Killed in Libya

DonLever

Back peddling how? I'm simply re-iterating what I suspected that has now been confirmed as true....that a Christian, pretended to be a Jew in order to attack Islam.

Freedom of expression is its own purpose. Just like how you're free to insult me about going to hell if you want to because of your commitment to the proselytizing tradition of your religion, others as much right and freedom to express their disdain for your religion through mockery.

The difference however these days is that someone won't kill you for telling them that they're going to hell, but you religious folk sure as heck don't hesitate to kill people who mock or act in contravention to your dogma and sensitivities.

UPDATE 1-Libya arrests 4 over deadly Benghazi attack - official

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40pm IST

(Reuters) - Libyan authorities have made four arrests in the investigation into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in which the U.S. ambassador and three embassy staff were killed, the deputy interior minister said on Thursday.

"Four men are in custody and we are interrogating them because they are suspected of helping instigate the events at the U.S. consulate," Wanis Sharif told Reuters.

He gave no more details.

U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died after the gunmen attacked the U.S. consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city of Benghazi on Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a mob blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.

Demonstrators attacked the U.S. embassies in Yemen and Egypt on Thursday in protests against the film, and American warships were moved closer to Libya.

President Barack Obama has vowed to bring to justice those responsible for the Benghazi attack, which U.S. officials said may have been planned in advance. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington had nothing to do with the video, which she called "disgusting and reprehensible".

I dare you to open up with sarcasm at the next funeral you attend.

Maybe then will you understand the gravity of the situation. Oh, non-believer? Death is meaningless, right. We are just mere organisms on a path of inevitable destruction. Why do you have funerals again?

Back peddling how? I'm simply re-iterating what I suspected that has now been confirmed as true....that a Christian, pretended to be a Jew in order to attack Islam.

Freedom of expression is its own purpose. Just like how you're free to insult me about going to hell if you want to because of your commitment to the proselytizing tradition of your religion, others as much right and freedom to express their disdain for your religion through mockery.

The difference however these days is that someone won't kill you for telling them that they're going to hell, but you religious folk sure as heck don't hesitate to kill people who mock or act in contravention to your dogma and sensitivities.

I do believe you are mistaking me for someone else .. personally I would love sarcasm at my funeral, and my four kids have promised to do their collective best, as they are sharing the eulogy .. I insisted on picking the music .. I , for one, do not believe my "spirit" will ever die .. whether it goes to "heaven" or "hell" or purgatory or Atlantis is yet to be determined .. I will endeavor to let you know tho .. that is if I still give a crap about CDC ..

Funerals are for the bereaved to get together and assuage their collective guilt I think .. as an altar boy for 8 years, I figure I served Mass at around 150 funerals ..

Careful who you take blind runs at laddie .. I firmly believe in "God" .. he is inside me, and I refuse to share him with anyone else, so go get your own, ya lazy bugger .. :rolleyes:

Even if you as a person love sarcasm at your own funeral, do you dare do the same at someone else's?

As a believer, then you ought to know that "everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial".

I don't think you should be laughing up at someone else's expense. And clearly, you can see the situation in the middle east is pretty bad. I don't condone the video at all, nor do I condone people's insensitivity on similar matters.

Militant used anger over film as cover for attack on US consulate in Benghazi

News Limited Network

• September 14, 2012 12:59PM

HEAVILY armed militants used a protest against an anti-Islam film as a cover and may have had inside help in their deadly attack on the US Consulate, a senior Libyan official says.

As Libya announced the first four arrests, the clearest picture yet emerged of a two-pronged assault with militants screaming "God is great!" as they scaled the consulate's outer walls and descended on the compound's main building.

Eastern Libya's deputy interior minister, Wanis el-Sharef, said a mob first stormed the consulate on Tuesday night and then, hours later, raided a safe house in the compound just as US and Libyan security arrived to evacuate the staff.

That suggested, el-Sharef said, that infiltrators within the security forces may have tipped off the militants about the safe house's location.

The attacks were suspected to have been timed to coincide with the 11th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist strike in the United States, el-Sharef said, with the militants using the film protest by Libyan civilians to mask their action.

El-Sharef said four people were arrested at their homes on Thursday, but refused to give further details.

He said it was too early to say if the suspects belonged to a particular group or what their motive was.

Libya's new prime minister, Mustafa Abu-Shakour, said authorities were looking for more suspects.

One of five private security guards at the consulate said the surprise attack began when several grenades that were lobbed over the outer wall exploded in the compound and bullets rained down.

The guard, interviewed yesterday in hospital where he is being treated for five shrapnel wounds in one leg and two bullet wounds in the other, said that the consulate area was quiet - "there wasn't a single ant outside," he said - until about 9:30 p.m., when as many as 125 armed men descended on the compound from all directions.

He said he was lying on the ground, bleeding and in pain when a bearded gunman came down the wall and shot him twice in the right leg, screaming: "You infidel, you are defending infidels!"

"Later, someone asked me who I was. I said I was the gardener and then I passed out. I woke up in hospital," said the guard, who spoke from his bed at a Benghazi hospital.

The guard said he was 27 years old but declined to give his name. He asked that the hospital where he is being treated not be identified for fear that militants would track him down and kill him.

The witness account came as more details emerged about the making of the obscure film Innocence of Muslims

Anti-Islam director's identity revealed

Meanwhile a US law enforcement official says a man named Nakoula Basseley Nakoula is behind the anti-Muslim film that has sparked mob attacks on US missions in Egypt, Libya and Yemen.

A man who calls himself Sam Bacile has said he created the film, but The Associated Press has connected Nakoula to the Bacile persona.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to discuss an ongoing investigation.

The self-proclaimed director of Innocence of Muslims initially claimed a Jewish and Israeli background.

But others involved in the film said his statements were contrived as evidence mounted that the film's key player was a southern Californian Coptic Christian.

Nakoula, 55, told The Associated Press in an interview outside Los Angeles that he managed logistics for the company that produced the film

He denied he had directed the film, though he said he knew the self-described filmmaker, Sam Bacile.

But the mobile phone number that the AP contacted on Tuesday to reach the filmmaker who identified himself as Bacile traced to the same address near Los Angeles where Nakoula was located.

Nakoula told the AP he is a Coptic Christian and supported the concerns of Christian Copts about their treatment by Muslims.

The film was said to be behind the protests which resulted in the burning of the US consulate on Tuesday in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi

Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other embassy employees were killed during the mob violence.

Tuesday's assault was initially believed to have been motivated by outrage over the amateur film, but US officials said it might have been a pre-meditated assault by Al-Qaeda affiliates or sympathisers.

Nakoula denied he had posed as Bacile. Federal court papers filed in a 2010 criminal prosecution against him said Nakoula had used numerous aliases in the past. Among the fake names, the documents said, were Nicola Bacily and Erwin Salameh.

During a conversation outside his home, Nakoula offered his driver's licence to show his identity but kept his thumb over his middle name, Basseley. Records checks by the AP subsequently found that middle name as well as other connections to the Bacile persona

Guest BuckFoston

The reaction would have been similar even without religious overtones.

Religion isn't violent. People are violent. Let me ask you, does it surprise you that people are outraged and violent due to the content of the video? Y/N?

It's a disgusting video.

So everyone who is rioting over there has watched the video? Are you sure? Or are most of them just angry opportunists who were long looking for an excuse to manifest their anger?

And, to protest a film that depicts them as violent barbarians, the "religion of peace" goes on a rampage, killing and destroying?

Isn't that always how it goes, you say something about me I don't like, and then I go out and prove you right.

Archived