Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DonLever

US Ambassador Killed in Libya

183 posts in this topic

So everyone who is rioting over there has watched the video? Are you sure? Or are most of them just angry opportunists who were long looking for an excuse to manifest their anger?

And, to protest a film that depicts them as violent barbarians, the "religion of peace" goes on a rampage, killing and destroying?

Isn't that always how it goes, you say something about me I don't like, and then I go out and prove you right.

Sigh.....

Hate preacher Anjem Choudary leads U.S. flag-burning protest outside London embassy as turmoil over Islam film hits UK

•Two people arrested at American embassy

•The demonstrators shouted 'burn burn USA' as a U.S. flag was set alight

•Holding banners and signs, including slogans such as 'Islam will dominate the world', the group also set fire to an Israeli flag

•Before being dispersed at 4.30pm 150 people marched through the street with some calling for sharia law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203381/Hate-preacher-Anjem-Choudary-leads-U-S-flag-burning-protest-outside-London-embassy-turmoil-Islam-film-hits-UK.html

article-0-1504437C000005DC-588_634x423.jpg

Are you saying that rioting is not over the video or not instigated by the video?

Are you saying if the video was never produced, people would have still rioted yesterday and today?

By using the word "excuse" are you saying the video is not gut wrenching to someone who believes in Muhammad?

The bold words you use makes it seem like I justify the rioting. Which I don't. So what's your point? I condemn the rioting. Don't we all?

I don't know how anybody could get through more than a few minutes of that movie. I could'nt. So badly acted it's like amatuer hour.

Mass rioting over all parts of the middle east now.

God help us all.

This won't affect my day or world in the least. God helps those that helps themselves/

I don't know how anybody could get through more than a few minutes of that movie. I could'nt. So badly acted it's like amatuer hour.

That was one of the worst videos I have ever seen, including Middle School projects.

Amazing that something so stupid can light a spark under a group (no matter what size) of people as an excuse to kill others.

However, others are probably right, I doubt anybody could actually take that video as a serious threat/offence.

Casting Notice Description:

'DESERT WARRIOR'

DW Productions is casting Desert Warrior, an HD 24P historical Arabian Desert adventure film. Sam Bassiel, prod.; Alan Roberts, dir. Shoot starts mid-Aug. in L.A.

Seeking—Dr. Matthew: male, 45-55, Middle Eastern, modern day pharmacist, well educated, intellectual, LEAD; Captain: male, 40-50, modern day policeman, accent, featured; George: male, 20-40, a strong leader, romantic, tyrant, a killer with no remorse, accent, LEAD; Warriors: male, 18-60, numerous character roles, fighters, muscular, bearded, shaved, ethnic types, featured; Bilal: male, 25-35, African-American, strong, warrior, featured; Solyman: male, 60-70, bearded religious leader, featured; Asaad: male, 45-60, bearded tribe leader, intellectual, Israeli accent, featured; Moshei: male, 30-40, a trader, business leader, Israeli accent, featured; Mathew's Daughter: 16-18, Middle Eastern, modern day, accent, featured; Condalisa: female, 35-45, a Queen, self-assured, a boss, cunning, featured; Hilary: female, 18 but looks much younger, petite, innocent, featured; Olivia: female, 80+, older character woman with principles, featured; Females: 20-45, various supporting roles, strong dramatic abilities, exotic qualities, attractive middle eastern types, accents, featured; Character Females: 30-40, various types, sizes, featured; Males: 20-60, modern day villagers.

Auditions will be held by appt. only beginning July 12 in the La Cienega area. To schedule an audition appt. email pix & résumés through Back Stage. Professional pay, copy, credit, meals, and travel provided. SAG Ultra Low Budget Agreement, pending.

.........But the film only really picked up steam when it was posted to "Nacopticas," a blog run by an Egyptian-American lawyer and Coptic Christian named Morris Sadek. Also on Sadek's site: a photo of himself alongside Terry Jones, the Florida pastor infamous for having burned copies of the Koran.

Sadek is known for his anti-Muslim screeds, and for having had his Egyptian citizenship revoked in May 2011 after he allegedly called for attacks on Egypt. Sadek, who lives in the U.S., has filed multiple, unsuccessful lawsuits to regain his citizenship.

But Sadek's promotion of the film didn't stop with his blog. In an interview with the Associated Press, he told the wire service he promoted the film on Egyptian television stations as well. Sadek did not respond to request for comment from U.S. News.

A broadcast on one station, an Egyptian channel called Al-Nas, appears to have been the tipping point for the film.

Al-Nas is an immensely popular, and very religious channel whose motto is "a channel that will take you to heaven." Earlier this week, a complaint was filed against Al-Nas for allegedly "inciting strife between Muslims and Christians" in an unrelated incident.

A scene from the trailer of "Innocence of Muslims" was broadcast on Al-Nas just days ago by host Sheikh Khaled Abdalla. The particularly controversial scene depicted the prophet Muhammad as a "buffoonish caricature," according to the Lede.

While the Quran does not ban visual depictions of the prophet Muhammad, some Islamic traditions see it as deeply disrespectful.

Within 48 hours of Al-Nas's broadcast, hundreds of protesters were climbing the walls of the United States embassy in Cairo in protest, and an armed mob was setting fire to the consulate in Benghazi. U.S. ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens was killed in the attack, the first time an ambassador was killed in the line of duty since 1979, along with three other Americans.

Are you saying that rioting is not over the video or not instigated by the video?

Are you saying if the video was never produced, people would have still rioted yesterday and today?

By using the word "excuse" are you saying the video is not gut wrenching to someone who believes in Muhammad?

The bold words you use makes it seem like I justify the rioting. Which I don't. So what's your point? I condemn the rioting. Don't we all?

This whole debacle could possibly be the largest temper tantrum in history.

The reaction would have been similar even without religious overtones.

Religion isn't violent. People are violent. Let me ask you, does it surprise you that people are outraged and violent due to the content of the video? Y/N?

It's a disgusting video.

Obviously Obama's policies of appeasement has failed miserably.

Over the next couple of days US will launch missiles into Lybia and perhaps Sudan and Yemen.

Americans will hit back hard for this.

The same militias the US armed a couple of months ago to oust Gadaffi will be targeted.

Looks like the whole idea of democracy in the Arab lands was not very well thought out.

'Innocence Of Muslims' Shot On Hollywood Set, Film Permit Connected To Christian Charity

Details are being sought regarding the anti-Muslim film "The Innocence of Muslims," which has enraged radical Islamists and provoked protests across the Middle East. Four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, were killed in movie-related attacks in Libya on Tuesday and protests continued through the week.

The movie was filmed on a Hollywood set, and its permit has been linked to a Christian charity.

"The Innocence of Muslims" was partially filmed on a set built for the CBS TV show "JAG" by Paramount's TV unit, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Portions of the low-budget film were shot in Santa Clarita, Calif., on an area of the Blue Cloud Film Ranch called “Baghdad Square." This set has been used by TV and movie productions -- including "Iron Man," "Arrested Development" and "CSI" -- to recreate Middle Eastern war zones.

THR reports that Paramount said there is no way to verify whether the studio built the set. However,

The permit for "The Innocence of Muslims," which was filmed in Los Angeles County in August 2011 under the title "Desert Warriors," has been pulled from public view by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department over safety concerns, TheWrap reported.

Media for Christ, a Duarte, Calif.-based Christian nonprofit group, applied for the film permit, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reported. The charity's misson statement is to "glow Jesus' light" to the world.

Though Joseph Nassralla, the president of Media for Christ, emerged as a force behind the anti-Muslim film, the organization said it had nothing to do with the project and was upset by its content, according to the L.A. Times. Nassralla has reportedly devoted himself to criticizing Islam in speeches and interviews during recent years.

FilmL.A. Inc. confirmed that "The Innocence of Muslims" was shot in the California county last August, but that the studio did not know the details of the film.

“By law, the content of film projects need not be disclosed in order to apply for or receive a film permit from FilmL.A. Neither FilmL.A. nor its government partners had any foreknowledge of this project’s content, and the release of a film permit can in no way be construed as endorsement or approval of this film,” read a statement from President Paul Audley obtained by the L.A. Times.

Editor's note: Ed Husain is a senior fellow for Middle Eastern studies at the Council on Foreign Relations and author of "The Islamist." He can be followed on Twitter via @Ed_Husain

(CNN) -- The fall of dictatorships does not guarantee the creation of free societies. There is often a period in which we witness the legacy of tyranny. The Arab uprisings have overthrown tyrants in Egypt and Libya, but the populations and lawmakers have yet to grasp that democracy is not only about free elections but creating free societies.

When sexual harassment of women increases on the streets of Egypt, when centuries-old shrines of Muslim saints are destroyedwith explosives in Libya, when screenings of films such as "Persepolis" trigger riots in Tunisia and Christian minorities across the Middle East feel under siege, then we must stop pretending that all is well with the Arab Spring. But all is not lost either.

Arab societies are on a journey. They can easily take the wrong turn. The attacks on the American embassies in Libya, Egypt and Yemen are examples of the ongoing presence of intolerant, tyrannical actors in Arab societies.

Ed Husain

These are people who were born and raised in dictatorships. They are accustomed to thinking that a government controls its citizens -- that a film or documentary cannot be produced without government approval. For decades, this has been the reality of their lives, and they strongly believe that the Western world and its citizens have a similarly controlling relationship between individuals and government.

In light of this assumption, they hold the U.S. government responsible for the tacky and distasteful film produced by a right-wing Muslimphobe.

News: Who is responsible for film at the heart of protests?

World destabilized after 'Arab Spring'?

Where is the 'Arab Spring' heading?

<a name="em5" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Utkal, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">

Morsy violence response 'four days late'

Little wonder, then, that Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy has called for the prosecution by the U.S government of the filmmakers, and Egypt's top cleric, Mufti Ali Goma, has called on the United Nations to forbid denigration of faiths. Morsy studied in the United States and Ali Goma regularly visits the West on the interfaith circuit, yet both men don't yet grasp that religious freedom and the freedom of expression are inextricably linked in America.

It is hard for younger Arabs not born into freedom to understand how individual liberty works in real life.

The freedom to proselytize also guarantees the right to apostatize. Heresy and blasphemy are essential parts of free and democratic societies. Arab activists cannot seek to emulate the West's political and social achievements by looking at the United States and Europe today, but must observe and learn from the religious battles of 17th-century Europe, the smashing of the tyranny of the Roman Catholic Church, the ending of burning witches and the forbidding of hanging heretics.

It is this history of unbolting the doors of dissent that led to the conditions in which John Locke and John Stuart Mill could write and think freely and then influence Thomas Jefferson and the other U.S. Founding Fathers. There are no shortcuts to freedom, except to learn from the mistakes of the West in the past.

The Arab uprisings are not over yet. They are still unfolding and shaping the future. This culture of shouting and killing those with whom Muslims disagree must end. When the Prophet Mohammed's companions shouted "Allahu Akbar," (meaning "God is Greatest," a popular slogan for those yelling outside embassies today) the prophet reprimanded them saying "Our Lord is not deaf."

Bergen: Extremists and leaders incite violent protests

When a Bedouin Arab entered the most sacred mosque of the prophet in Medina and violated its sanctity by urinating in this place of divinity, the prophet cleansed the mosque himself and forbade anybody from even reprimanding the Bedouin, let alone attacking the man. This is the way of the Prophet Mohammed. Where is this spirit of mildness, forgiveness and compassion amid Islamist activists today?

The millions of protestors last year in Arab capitals that chanted "hurriyah, karamah, adala ijtima'iyya" or "freedom, dignity and social justice" cannot allow for the emotions of bigots to derail their revolution.

Freedom is not only about majority rule, but ensuring that women, religious minorities and intellectual dissenters are able to flourish without fear.

Follow @CNNOpinion on Twitter

Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion