Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Will Canuck players try to re-up before September 15?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Curious if Burrows, Edler and the others who are coming up for new deals are going to try to get in under this agreement as Doan has mentioned he would. It will likely be beneficial for these guys (and us in terms of keeping them).
I Love Lamp...

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Doubt it.

/=S=/

#3 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

You'd think we'd have heard a little more mumbling about such things before now. I have a feeling they're just going to wait at this point.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#4 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Jason Botchford@botchford
Canucks working to sign Alex and Alex to extensions before Sept. 15. Also believe theyre still in on Shane doan

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#5 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

The pair would be stupid not to sign on the current CBA. Good to hear that they're talking though I'm not pleased about Doan.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Not that Sept 15 makes much diffrence to this discussion; I'd still like to see Bitz back! Cannot see him not being better than Desbiens?

Can't see making Kassian work for his minutes be a problem either. In reality, Bitz should not have been sent down in favour of Kassian last year (maybe he is not interested for that reason? :huh: ).

#7 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

They definately should. Boston seems to be the smartest team right now by locking down their young players to long-term contracts which will most likely be illegal under the new CBA.

MG has to take advantage of these next few days and lock in at least Edler to a long term, 5 or 6 year deal at around 5M per. Burrows is already old so maybe a 3 year deal would suffice.
Posted Image

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,611 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Or is the team waiting to see what the new CBA will bring?

comeundone.gif

#9 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Jason Botchford@botchford
Canucks working to sign Alex and Alex to extensions before Sept. 15. Also believe theyre still in on Shane doan

eff botchford

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#10 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Alex Edler - negotiation probably starts at 5.5M (if Wideman got it...and Enstrom's precedent etc.), but hoping he takes some discount to stay here and sign for 5M. at least 6 year deal probably. No problem at all with those terms.

Alex Burrows - has been out-producing guys likes Hartnell, and has been the definition of clutch for the nucks. so negotiation probably starts at 4.5M. But look at his age. Plus there's the "playing with the Sedins" factor. We know he wants to stay here. But according to his agent's twitter, two sides have not come close in over two weeks of negotiations. I'm assuming it's the length of the contract that's hindering. If he takes a discount at 4~4.5M, that's great. But his new contract kicks in when he's 32. Will he be worth that much at age 35? 36?

This also means, assuming CBA brings down the cap again, that we have to trade Ballard for sure next season. Just don't see how we will fit under the cap with Burr and Eddie signed up (even with Luongo gone). We really need Kassian and Jensen to make an impact while they're still under their entry level contracts.

#11 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think the question is: will the NHL try to re-up before Sept.15?
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Alex Edler - negotiation probably starts at 5.5M (if Wideman got it...and Enstrom's precedent etc.), but hoping he takes some discount to stay here and sign for 5M. at least 6 year deal probably. No problem at all with those terms.

Alex Burrows - has been out-producing guys likes Hartnell, and has been the definition of clutch for the nucks. so negotiation probably starts at 4.5M. But look at his age. Plus there's the "playing with the Sedins" factor. We know he wants to stay here. But according to his agent's twitter, two sides have not come close in over two weeks of negotiations. I'm assuming it's the length of the contract that's hindering. If he takes a discount at 4~4.5M, that's great. But his new contract kicks in when he's 32. Will he be worth that much at age 35? 36?

This also means, assuming CBA brings down the cap again, that we have to trade Ballard for sure next season. Just don't see how we will fit under the cap with Burr and Eddie signed up (even with Luongo gone). We really need Kassian and Jensen to make an impact while they're still under their entry level contracts.

Lets hope not. LOL

As you pretty much pointed out -- Sedin factor.
Posted Image

#13 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Lets hope not. LOL

Sedin factor - to some extent, but looking at their underlying numbers, Sedins do much better with Burrows than without him. Also, for a guy who had more goals and more PIMs than anyone in the league not named Perry in the past few seasons, and a guy who averaged 25-30 goals for as long as he has without any significant powerplay time... and considering what UFAs are signing these days, I think Burrows would get a lot more than 4.5M if he hits July 1st next year.

#14 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Burrows is worth every penny of 4.5 over 3 years and a 4th at 3.5. Talk about a home town discount for the owner. This man has been gold for Canucks and they owe it to him to show him that they appreciate it. If they can keep Raymond, they cad certainly sign Burrows.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#15 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

Burrows is worth every penny of 4.5 over 3 years and a 4th at 3.5. Talk about a home town discount for the owner. This man has been gold for Canucks and they owe it to him to show him that they appreciate it. If they can keep Raymond, they cad certainly sign Burrows.

He's worth it, but it's still a dent in the current wallet.

#16 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Burrows and Edler's new contracts wont take effect until 2013, 2014. At that time, we will be counting on Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce replacing Raymond, Higgins and Lapierre; all still on entry contracts! Burrows and Edler can have their contracts!

The best thing about the Kassian trade was the extra year of ELC eligibility! ;)

Lets hope not. LOL

Averaging 30 goals a season the last 3 to 4 years; virtually all of them 5 on 5 (where he is amongst league leaders), Burrows gets his goals in tough situations against top match ups. He's no slug!

So lets hope he does get his contract!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 13 September 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#17 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

They are working on it.

Burrows I think will take around 3-3.75 million a year. I'd give him 4-5 years.

Edler, yeah, it's going to be 4.5-5 million, as much as highest paid D men here, or slightly more. 5 years.
Posted Image

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

Right now, Alex and Alex should be our priority over Doan. They're both much younger and quite frankly, better, except Doan may be better than Burrows. Hard to say.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#19 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

The pair would be stupid not to sign on the current CBA. Good to hear that they're talking though I'm not pleased about Doan.

Agree about Doan. I keep seeing the same failings as the Messier deal. The guy is a one club man and I think if he comes here his best will be behind him. I would much rather go for Arnott on a 1/2 year deal leaving us free to do the right deal next year. Arnott could fill in for Kes and then Kes could come back and play in the first with Burr dropping to 2nd.
Kevin.jpg

#20 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

They definately should. Boston seems to be the smartest team right now by locking down their young players to long-term contracts which will most likely be illegal under the new CBA.

MG has to take advantage of these next few days and lock in at least Edler to a long term, 5 or 6 year deal at around 5M per. Burrows is already old so maybe a 3 year deal would suffice.

What is considered old to you for a hockey player? So are the Sedins and Loungo old too?

#21 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Agree about Doan. I keep seeing the same failings as the Messier deal. The guy is a one
club man and I think if he comes here his best will be behind him. I would much rather go for Arnott on a 1/2 year deal leaving us free to do the right deal next year. Arnott could fill in for Kes and then Kes could come back and play in the first with Burr dropping to 2nd.

You can sign players to half year deals?

Cool!

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#22 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Averaging 30 goals a season the last 3 to 4 years; virtually all of them 5 on 5 (where he is amongst league leaders), Burrows gets his goals in tough situations against top match ups. He's no slug!

So lets hope he does get his contract!

But he has had no real success without the twins. He wasn't successful prior to being paired with them (depends how you look at success). And since then, we haven't seen much of him without them. The most recent example that comes to mind, since I've made this argument before, is that when Daniel went down for 18 games and Henrik went on to win the Art Ross, Burrows had two goals and 9 points in that 18 game span while Henrik managed a ppg pace.

Yes, yes, he does a lot of other things well. But lets be honest, the reason he's going to get as much money as he is is because of his offensive numbers -- largely in part of the twins. I would be hesitant to give someone that much who hasn't shown he can do it without piggy backing off of another player or two.

Not being a hater here, that's just the reality
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.