The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which carriers should I buy with the new iphone5?

canucksfreakie

Ever been to Burnaby SFU? Might as well not bring a phone to school.

Lordy I agree. I remember back when I used to have 8 straight hours (yup it was a painful day) of lecture in Blusson Hall on Tuesdays. As soon as the bus got to the bottom of the SFU hill my phone would blow up with missed texts and voicemails. One particular time it was really bad because my mom had just had surgery and I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't get reception up there.

It's weird that the reception at SFU is so poor though. Don't they have a cell tower right there?

How is the reception on Fido?

And how much are most people paying for iPhone plans right now?

My bill is about $65/month

Includes 250 talk, free e/w starting at 6:00pm

1000 texts

Voicemail and Caller ID

500GB MB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

^^ Most people give two craps about which phone is superior. It's quite clear that Samsung produces the best phones...but I'd still rather buy an iPhone. A megapixel or a millisecond isn't going to affect my decision.

Go with Rogers or whoever gives you the best deal. You can always sell the plan and unlock the phone so you can use it with any carrier that you like.

* you can unlock for free via jailbreak or get it done for $15-30 dollars at some tech shop.

Lordy I agree. I remember back when I used to have 8 straight hours (yup it was a painful day) of lecture in Blusson Hall on Tuesdays. As soon as the bus got to the bottom of the SFU hill my phone would blow up with missed texts and voicemails. One particular time it was really bad because my mom had just had surgery and I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't get reception up there.

It's weird that the reception at SFU is so poor though. Don't they have a cell tower right there?

Not really quite sure that I understand this logic.

Why would you buy an iPhone then?

Why in one sentence are you choosing the cellular carrier who provides the best deal but it's the opposite when you're selecting a phone?

I'll be perfectly clear that I don't care which phone people choose, I'm just fascinated by all of this... I'm curious what motivates someone to intentionally buy a second rate phone that is more expensive.

Either way you look at it Apple is going to sell a LOT of phones because this mindset seems to sweep the population. They're doing something right I guess.

1000 texts

Voicemail and Caller ID

500GB MB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

Telus

IPhone 5 for $179

$150 bill credit on 3 yr term.

$50 per month**

**Plus HST. There are no system access fees or 911 fees, so the typical bill will be $56 per month.

300 anytime minutes

Unlimited evenings after 6pm

Unlimited weekend calling

Unlimited network calling

Unlimited national text messaging

Voicemail 10, caller ID, call conference, call waiting, call forwarding

1GB data across Canada

Tethering included

Discounted long distance, additional airtime and extra data

This looks decent?

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

1000 texts

Voicemail and Caller ID

500GB MB data

Telus

IPhone 5 for $179

$50 per month**

**Plus HST. There are no system access fees or 911 fees, so the typical bill will be $56 per month.

300 anytime minutes

1GB data across Canada

Tethering included

This looks decent?

Telus

IPhone 5 for $179

$50 per month**

300 anytime minutes

1GB data across Canada

Tethering included

This looks decent?

There is no cheap way with no contract it's going to cost $700+. I'm not sure why people are against contracts. You are going to have a cell phone for the next 3 years. It's not like you can't change your plan If a better deal comes along (with that provider). The big 3 are usually very close in pricing. The only places like Wind, koodo and other major municipality providers are cheaper but lets face it unless you are in a major area there are alot of dead zones..

Paying $700 for an unlocked one and going for a cheap plan without data, ($30/month) would save money in the long term. Paying the extra $30-40 multiplied by 36 months equals to $1440 (not including the $200 you pay upfront) which is double the amount of buying the iPhone outright. Plus, you could get a way better voice plan without data that is much cheaper and use your phone with WIFI only. Buying data is just a rip off right now. In saying that, Fido has a text, voice and data plan for $40 if people use a little bit of data when on the go.

I really just don't understand why people go with contracts that rip them off in the end. Rogers, Telus and Bell are really happy about this and they are making extra cash each time a new iPhone is introduced.

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

Archived