Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Which carriers should I buy with the new iphone5?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

That didn't answer my question. Where would you get a cheap iPhone 5 WITHOUT a contract?? (If you get a contract then unlocking the phone is pointless for 3 years)

There is no cheap way with no contract it's going to cost $700+. I'm not sure why people are against contracts. You are going to have a cell phone for the next 3 years. It's not like you can't change your plan If a better deal comes along (with that provider). The big 3 are usually very close in pricing. The only places like Wind, koodo and other major municipality providers are cheaper but lets face it unless you are in a major area there are alot of dead zones..

#32 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

There is no cheap way with no contract it's going to cost $700+. I'm not sure why people are against contracts. You are going to have a cell phone for the next 3 years. It's not like you can't change your plan If a better deal comes along (with that provider). The big 3 are usually very close in pricing. The only places like Wind, koodo and other major municipality providers are cheaper but lets face it unless you are in a major area there are alot of dead zones..

Even here in Toronto there's a huge amount of dead zones for Wind.

Also, Koodo is Telus.

Edited by zaibatsu, 13 September 2012 - 09:01 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#33 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Find what areas you spend most of your time in and find which company has the best service. For me Telus has overall better service in the areas I spend time in mostly but I have friends in other cities where Rogers has a stronger signal at their homes, etc.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#34 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

How is the reception on Fido?

And how much are most people paying for iPhone plans right now?
My bill is about $65/month
Includes 250 talk, free e/w starting at 6:00pm
1000 texts
Voicemail and Caller ID
500GB MB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

Edited by hockeyville88, 13 September 2012 - 09:25 PM.

Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#35 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

Then your friend is an idiot. My S3 last 2 days between charges, and thats with app and talk usage.
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#36 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

If you're a student (or someone with low income), stay within the GVRD, and have a phone that supports the bands, I see no reason why you shouldn't go to Wind. The reception issue was something that was apparent two years back, but I haven't hit a dead zone in over a year. And at sub $50/month it really is a no brainer.

Try it out for a month or two, they don't lock you into a contract so there's nothing to lose.

Posted Image

#37 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

If you're a student (or someone with low income), stay within the GVRD, and have a phone that supports the bands, I see no reason why you shouldn't go to Wind. The reception issue was something that was apparent two years back, but I haven't hit a dead zone in over a year. And at sub $50/month it really is a no brainer.

Try it out for a month or two, they don't lock you into a contract so there's nothing to lose.

You guys know about retention deals right. Go with a big carrier and after 6 months, try to get on a retention plan. I'm on one now, but I'm going to make it even better soon.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#38 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

1000 texts
Voicemail and Caller ID
500GB data

This was about 5 years ago that I got this plan. I'd have to think they've gotten better since then right?

500GB? :blink:

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#39 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

500GB? :blink:

Haha oops I meant MB. GB would be crazy!
Posted Image

#40 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Ever been to Burnaby SFU? Might as well not bring a phone to school.

#41 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Lordy I agree. I remember back when I used to have 8 straight hours (yup it was a painful day) of lecture in Blusson Hall on Tuesdays. As soon as the bus got to the bottom of the SFU hill my phone would blow up with missed texts and voicemails. One particular time it was really bad because my mom had just had surgery and I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't get reception up there.

It's weird that the reception at SFU is so poor though. Don't they have a cell tower right there?
Posted Image

#42 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

1000 texts
Voicemail and Caller ID
500GB MB data

Errr including caller ID and voice mail? Doubt you'll get a better plan. Call and try to bump your data up to 1 gig and get unlimited texting since your a old customer.
Rght now its $63 for everything you said, but unlimited texts, my 10 calling (any 10 numbers), 1 gb data, but no voicemail or caller ID.

^^^ That is Rogers oops sorry forgot you were from Bell.
Also Rogers is suppose to release new plans tomorrow.

Edited by PlayStation, 13 September 2012 - 11:36 PM.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#43 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

^^ Most people give two craps about which phone is superior. It's quite clear that Samsung produces the best phones...but I'd still rather buy an iPhone. A megapixel or a millisecond isn't going to affect my decision.

Go with Rogers or whoever gives you the best deal. You can always sell the plan and unlock the phone so you can use it with any carrier that you like.

* you can unlock for free via jailbreak or get it done for $15-30 dollars at some tech shop.

Not really quite sure that I understand this logic.
Why would you buy an iPhone then?

Why in one sentence are you choosing the cellular carrier who provides the best deal, but it's the opposite when you're selecting a phone?

I'll be perfectly clear that I don't care which phone people choose, I'm just fascinated by all of this... I'm curious what motivates someone to intentionally buy a second rate phone that is more expensive.

Either way you look at it Apple is going to sell a LOT of phones because this mindset seems to sweep the population. They're doing something right I guess.

Edited by bjh, 14 September 2012 - 12:20 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#44 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Lordy I agree. I remember back when I used to have 8 straight hours (yup it was a painful day) of lecture in Blusson Hall on Tuesdays. As soon as the bus got to the bottom of the SFU hill my phone would blow up with missed texts and voicemails. One particular time it was really bad because my mom had just had surgery and I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't get reception up there.

It's weird that the reception at SFU is so poor though. Don't they have a cell tower right there?

I think only one of the Big 3 have an exclusive arrangement with SFU (Rogers/Fido I think).

#45 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Not really quite sure that I understand this logic.
Why would you buy an iPhone then?

Why in one sentence are you choosing the cellular carrier who provides the best deal but it's the opposite when you're selecting a phone?

I'll be perfectly clear that I don't care which phone people choose, I'm just fascinated by all of this... I'm curious what motivates someone to intentionally buy a second rate phone that is more expensive.

Either way you look at it Apple is going to sell a LOT of phones because this mindset seems to sweep the population. They're doing something right I guess.

I'm not going to speak for the other person, however if given the choice I will get the iphone5 because of it's os. I enjoy using it much more, I enjoy it's apps more, and the expierence using the Apple O.S more then the android os.

This has nothing to do with with buying high specs phone blah blah blah. Some people DON'T LIKE ANDROID . You cannot hate people for that. My friend is a programmer actually, he too prefers the apple os more. It's just preference. Of course there are some bandwagoners too, but what can you do. Apple is doing some thing right.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#46 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

1000 texts
Voicemail and Caller ID
500GB MB data

Reception at Fido is as good as Rogers. They share towers. Fido is a good choice, signing up you'll get a decent price. Keep up a good payment history and than call in after 3-6 months bring up a competitor and try to get a retention offer. You need to have atleast 3-6 months before they'll even look into giving you a better plan.

For the people bringing up wind, they don't offer the iPhone so don't bother. S3 yes but keep in mind a wind tab is similar to a contract just worded differently.

#47 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Telus
IPhone 5 for $179
$150 bill credit on 3 yr term.

$50 per month**
**Plus HST. There are no system access fees or 911 fees, so the typical bill will be $56 per month.
300 anytime minutes
Unlimited evenings after 6pm
Unlimited weekend calling
Unlimited network calling
Unlimited national text messaging
Voicemail 10, caller ID, call conference, call waiting, call forwarding
1GB data across Canada
Tethering included
Discounted long distance, additional airtime and extra data

This looks decent?
Posted Image

#48 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Well said. Nothing against Samsung, one of their stradegies is to make a phone more powerful and higher specs then the ihpone5. blah blah blah, quite predictable, but to some consumers that doesn't really matter, as long as it does the job. BTW, my friend has to charge his samsung galaxy 3, 3 times per day. Yup, thats how fast it drains.

Lmao 3 times a day? He either just uses it too much for no reason, keeps background apps running or drained his battery by over-charging it. I plug mine in before I pass out every night so it's full in the morning, and it lasts me all day.

#49 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yup, for class. To be honest most carriers are fairly spotty up there. I haven't noticed, but I'm usually getting a decent connection.

Reception at Fido is as good as Rogers. They share towers. Fido is a good choice, signing up you'll get a decent price. Keep up a good payment history and than call in after 3-6 months bring up a competitor and try to get a retention offer. You need to have atleast 3-6 months before they'll even look into giving you a better plan.

For the people bringing up wind, they don't offer the iPhone so don't bother. S3 yes but keep in mind a wind tab is similar to a contract just worded differently.

They don't have the phone but the iPhone 5 has the bands to support it.

Edited by -Goose-, 14 September 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#50 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,959 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

1000 texts
Voicemail and Caller ID
500GB MB data

Fido has decent reception, and I think they have better plans too.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#51 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

I think only one of the Big 3 have an exclusive arrangement with SFU (Rogers/Fido I think).

when i went to sfu back in the day, my fido prepay was one of the only phones that worked up there.

#52 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yup, for class. To be honest most carriers are fairly spotty up there. I haven't noticed, but I'm usually getting a decent connection.

They don't have the phone but the iPhone 5 has the bands to support it.

Fair enough, but keep in mind if your bringing an unlocked phone there's certain services that may not be compatible for your phone as the phones not tested on their network. For example certain phones have trouble accessing data with certain providers. Not guaranteed to happen but a chance.

#53 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Telus
IPhone 5 for $179

$50 per month**
**Plus HST. There are no system access fees or 911 fees, so the typical bill will be $56 per month.
300 anytime minutes
1GB data across Canada
Tethering included

This looks decent?

Where the heck did you find this? Cant seem to find it myself.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#54 Prince Albert

Prince Albert

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Telus
IPhone 5 for $179

$50 per month**
300 anytime minutes
1GB data across Canada
Tethering included

This looks decent?

Where did you find this? I can't find that plan anywhere for $50.

I was at the mall today and went into all the big three to see what they could offer, and a plan like this is like $85 /month.

#55 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Paying $700 for an unlocked one and going for a cheap plan without data, ($30/month) would save money in the long term. Paying the extra $30-40 multiplied by 36 months equals to $1440 (not including the $200 you pay upfront) which is double the amount of buying the iPhone outright. Plus, you could get a way better voice plan without data that is much cheaper and use your phone with WIFI only. Buying data is just a rip off right now. In saying that, Fido has a text, voice and data plan for $40 if people use a little bit of data when on the go.

I really just don't understand why people go with contracts that rip them off in the end. Rogers, Telus and Bell are really happy about this and they are making extra cash each time a new iPhone is introduced.

Edited by Pouria, 14 September 2012 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

#56 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

when i went to sfu back in the day, my fido prepay was one of the only phones that worked up there.

Yep, same with me. Fido is part of Rogers and Rogers owns the cell towers close to SFU so that is the reason why only Rogers and Fido phones work up there.

Posted Image

#57 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Paying $700 for an unlocked one and going for a cheap plan without data, ($30/month) would save money in the long term. Paying the extra $30-40 multiplied by 36 months equals to $1440 (not including the $200 you pay upfront) which is double the amount of buying the iPhone outright. Plus, you could get a way better voice plan without data that is much cheaper and use your phone with WIFI only. Buying data is just a rip off right now. In saying that, Fido has a text, voice and data plan for $40 if people use a little bit of data when on the go.

I really just don't understand why people go with contracts that rip them off in the end. Rogers, Telus and Bell are really happy about this and they are making extra cash each time a new iPhone is introduced.

This is the smartest thing to do, but having worked in the industry most people arn't willing or can't afford the money upfront.

#58 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Then how come we don't all have Blackberry's, the true best phone on the market.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#59 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Why don't we all have the old school nokia phones? It just does the job (meaning it has better reception than any smartphones out there and it does the simple tasks of texting and calling.) People who buy the iPhone and use the line "it just does the job" or "it just works" as the reason to validate why iPhone is a superior phone are just brain washed by Apple's marketing campaign.

Posted Image

#60 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

Where the heck did you find this? Cant seem to find it myself.

Where did you find this? I can't find that plan anywhere for $50.

I was at the mall today and went into all the big three to see what they could offer, and a plan like this is like $85 /month.

oh i got an email offer for it. it's supposedly only for members of an association i subscribe to. i wasn't sure if it was a good deal but since you say its 85 otherwise, i might just go for it.

i'm with koodo right now...you can probably get a similar a deal with them but i don't know if they'll have the iphone 5.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.