The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Evan Mcneny

Squeak

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but since it was mentioned...

HOW in the hell did we lose out on Weber? How? If the Preds were willing to match that ridiculously insane front heavy contract, HOW in the freaking hell would we have been able to get him? Trade? Yeah, keep dreaming. What kind of freaking contract would we have been able to give Weber without screwing over the forseeable future. God damn...think a little.

Found this explanation on the HF Boards as to why the Canucks were able to sign an 18 year old.

This is my understanding of the matter. North American juniors are draft eligible for 3 years, after which time they can be signed to an ELC any time throughout the season (ie, Archibald).

However, junior players can be signed after their first (or second) draft if they go undrafted by every team and are invited to a team's training camp (ie, Vancouver). This team will have a limited time period to sign the player: up until around the middle of September I believe (ie, now).

So a team could sign as many kids as they had contract slots for, after the kids' first (18-year-old) drafts. But, it must be done before their next junior seasons start.

Found this explanation on the HF Boards as to why the Canucks were able to sign an 18 year old.

I guess it doesn't happen to often because teams don't find it worth it? If the player was worth it, chances are they would have been drafted. That being said, looks like a low-risk, high-reward situation. Nothing wrong with that.

ba-dum-ching! I bin owned! :bigblush:

Objectivity? blah - no one is objective. I am a Canucks fan - I try to look at things in a balanced or fair way, but you're right - I take a position / have an axe to grind.

Gillis is bigger, stronger and smarter than I am, so bodyguard and spin doctor are pretty flattering. Fanboi is probably more accurate.

Regardless I stand behind my claim that Garrison was the best UFA defenseman signing this year - first, in terms of contract, I would take the 4 year 4.6 million anyday over the forever and a moon deal that Suter got - and second, I think Suter is over-rated (and benefitted a little from playing with a certain partner) - I prefer Garrison's shut down ability and scoring punch (his two-way game), his shot, his size etc - I think Garrison will be the better player moving forward, and I think the massive difference in term and cap hit make this a no-brainer.

Flame away.

(Gillis and Gilman are the best in the business!) :shock:

I like that we took the risk. He will definitely be a dark horse in a few years time. I like our D prospects regardless:

Connauton

Tanev

Sauve

Corrado

McNally

Price

Andersson

Polasek

Some of these guys are long shots, a season with the wolves will give us a better idea. BTW anyone know how to stream wolves games for free?

Archived