The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Evan Mcneny

Squeak

http://canucks.nhl.c...an-news-mceneny

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed defenceman Evan McEneny. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6’2”, 205 lbs. Hamilton, ON, native registered two assists, four penalty minutes and a plus-three rating in two games with the OHL Kitchener Rangers in 2011.12 before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.

Here's a really interesting article about him:

http://www.thespec.c...e-s-on-the-list

He may be No. 211, but at least he’s on the list

11fa8f7545ab951ae5dfe561a221.jpg

Coming up through minor hockey as one of the best players on a powerhouse team, he rarely experienced losing. A couple of years ago, he was didn’t have to wait long to hear his name called in the Ontario Hockey League draft, going in the second round. In his rookie year in the league, he held his own despite being one of the younger guys on the ice and playing a position notoriously tough to master.

In short, finishing near the bottom of anything has never been a habit of his.

So you’d assume it must rankle Evan McEneny to no end to see his name at the absolute bottom of the recently released mid-season rankings of draft-eligible players from NHL Central Scouting. Out of 211 players listed, he’s number 211.

Actually, no.

“I see my name on there and I’m happy about it,” the defenceman says.

Considering his situation, that’s probably understandable.

The 17-year-old from Caistor Centre got off to a fantastic start with the Kitchener Rangers this season. After collecting just four assists all last season, he grabbed two in the opening game this time around. In the opening period.

But with the seconds ticking down in the next game, an innocent shoulder-to-shoulder bump with a Saginaw player sent a jolt of pain through his left knee. Figuring it was just a tweak, he iced it and jumped on the team bus for the long ride to Sault Ste. Marie.

“It didn’t seem like anything major,” he says.

The next morning, it was swollen and sore. He didn’t play against the Greyhounds, kept ice on it as they drove home and headed to the hospital for an MRI as soon as the team returned to Kitchener.

When the doctor came into the room to explain the results, McEneny heard very little after the words “torn ACL.”

“It was just, ‘Oh no,’ ” he says. “What do I do now? Everything I’ve done is gone. It was hard.”

More like devastating.

This was the biggest year of his hockey life. Since he was a kid, all he’s wanted to do is play in the NHL. Pete Richards, his longtime minor hockey coach with the Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs, says McEneny was always a step ahead of most of his teammates when it came to hockey sense. He just understood the game. He was also the most consistent. And he had size.

“He was a big, strong defenceman at eight years old,” Richards says.

Recognizing he had the potential to actually make his dream come true, McEneny worked like a maniac all through the offseason to get in shape. Every weekday he trained for at least a couple of hours. Then he skated. Unlike most kids his age who find a way to earn a few bucks over the break, hockey was his summer job.

So, when the doctor said he needed surgery and he’d be out at least six months — meaning his draft year was shot — well, there really isn’t a word to describe the feeling that engulfed him.

“I didn’t even call home,” he says. “I got my trainer to call. I couldn’t even talk.”

It stayed that way for days. Coming to grips with everything was tough.

Time passes, though. It’s been a few months now. Today, he’s feeling good. The Grade 12 student at Blessed Trinity in Grimsby — the same school called home by Jarrod Maidens, who’s 21st on the Central Scouting list — can’t wait to get skating again. The two-inch scar on his knee reminds him of the injury but there’s no pain anymore.

Still, the best medicine was seeing his name on the list. The fact he made it despite barely playing buoyed him. Despite his train wreck of a season, he remains a prospect. Someone still thinks he’s good enough to be considered a possible NHL player someday. Folks who watch an awful lot of hockey obviously believe he has some significant potential.

He knows he’s going to have to prove himself all over again. Prove the joint is strong. Prove he has his mobility back. Prove he won’t play scared. But at least the door is still open a crack.

“I can still get drafted next year,” he says.

It’s enough to help him smile, even when some of his buddies give him the good-natured gears about being last on the list. And even when he has to watch from the sidelines when he’d desperately love to be out on the ice.

Because there’s hope.

http://ohlwriters.co...le-evan-mceneny

OHL'S DRAFT ELIGIBLE EVAN MCENENY

Published on: February 16th. 2012, 02:20pm

| Written by: Dominic Tiano @ OHL Writers

Evan%20McEneny.jpg?1329398504

Evan McEneny – Kitchener Rangers

Ht: 6’2”

Wt: 205 LBS

Position: Defence – shoots left

D.O.B.: May 22, 1994

Another one of those players with a season ending injury, and like Alex Galchenyuk, McEneny’s season ended early, just two games into the 2011-2012 season when a torn ACL sidelined him. But unlike Galchenyuk, he doesn’t have a phenomenal 2010-11 season on which to rely.

McEneny was drafted in the second round, 34th overall, in the 2010 OHL Priority Draft. He played in 44 games for the Rangers and registered 4 assists. He came into this season eager and prepared and notched two assists in his first game before a harmless shoulder to shoulder hit caused his knee injury.

Although he’s only played in two games this season – 2 assists in his first game -, McEneny made the NHL Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings at number 211 as a limited viewing. In Many circles, there are those who believe had McEneny played this season, it’s not a question of if he’d be on the list but how high, and yours truly is one of them.

He was on NHL Central Scouting’s pre-season C list of players to watch from the OHL. He was also listed on Central Scouting’s preliminary list of top 25 from the OHL as a limited view along with Daniil Zharkov and another defenseman, Adam Pelech of the Erie Otters.

McEneny already has good size and bulk on his frame. He’s a naturally gifted offensive defenseman. He can make a very good first pass or skate out of danger and very adept at joining the rush. He has a good hockey IQ and plays both sides of the puck. He effectively uses his size in the physical department.

Should McEneny get drafted in June he’ll be a project and NHL teams will depend heavily on medical information on how he is recovering from his surgery. A team that has depth in prospects on the blue line however may be willing to take the chance. If I were running the draft for an NHL team with such depth, that’s certainly how I’d feel. A definite high risk – high reward type player.

This is what I like about MG.........................and the Canucks. He looks for the character guys who he thinks will benefit from a break. He suffered injury himself if I remember and he probably understands the fighting ability and strong character it takes to come back from a serious injury when you are young.

I like this signing. Kudos Mike.

Archived