The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Employee Of The Year: GARY BETTMAN

D-Money

This is not a thread about the lockout, or any other current topic going. This is about a man, a man who is outstanding at his job. I can't help but admire Gary Bettman (yes, you read that right - Gary Bettman), for being so good at what he does. Why?

All Gary does is act as a figurehead for the league owners. They tell him what they want, and he does it. Sure, there are details that have to be worked out along the way, legalities and such...but for the most part, he's just doing as he's told.

Gary's true skill, and why he's so revered by the owners, becomes apparent when he's carrying out orders with something unpopular among the fans, such as the impending lockout. He somehow manages to make it all seem like his idea, and get the vast majority of fan backlash go directly on him.

Tidal waves of cursing, booing, threats, etc. fall upon him, instead of the ones really calling the shots. It's the equivalent to getting insulted by a ventriloquist's dummy, and shouting back at him - without addressing the ventriloquist himself. The owners smile, and continue to give him new contracts with raises, knowing they have found the perfect patsy.

So here's to Gary Bettman, and his phenomenal ability to be the lightning-rod.

And for all those chanting the "fire Bettman" rhetoric - perhaps you should pay more attention to the guy with a hand up his butt.

Unfortunately, what D-Money says is true. If you want to be a model employee and have a plaque with your picture on it posted in the staff room, you just blindly do what your employers want you to do.

Sadly, going out of your comfort zone and employing strategies which result in positive change and better overall efficiency, are seldom rewarded and even less often attempted...

i'm not bettman's #1 fan but i fail to see how he gets blame for this. players are employees, they already make a boatload of money as is. the owners/investors/etc... at one point had to take a risk/investment to make a succesful return. i don't see the logic in the players wanting 50/50 or whatever from profits. compare your job to your boss, do you make 50/50 with him/her? F NO!

here's gonna be the end result of this lockout, just like last time, players will want to get $$$ they were making and will make "consessions" and agree on terms that will favor owners. fans are at a loss b/c it'll most likely result in a 50-60 game season. players = greed.

NOW DROP THE DAMN PUCK ALREADY.

This is not a thread about the lockout, or any other current topic going. This is about a man, a man who is outstanding at his job. I can't help but admire Gary Bettman (yes, you read that right - Gary Bettman), for being so good at what he does. Why?

All Gary does is act as a figurehead for the league owners. They tell him what they want, and he does it. Sure, there are details that have to be worked out along the way, legalities and such...but for the most part, he's just doing as he's told.

Gary's true skill, and why he's so revered by the owners, becomes apparent when he's carrying out orders with something unpopular among the fans, such as the impending lockout. He somehow manages to make it all seem like his idea, and get the vast majority of fan backlash go directly on him.

Tidal waves of cursing, booing, threats, etc. fall upon him, instead of the ones really calling the shots. It's the equivalent to getting insulted by a ventriloquist's dummy, and shouting back at him - without addressing the ventriloquist himself. The owners smile, and continue to give him new contracts with raises, knowing they have found the perfect patsy.

And for all those chanting the "fire Bettman" rhetoric - perhaps you should pay more attention to the guy with a hand up his butt.

Yeah sure, that is why any owner that speaks us is hit with a huge fine! If you think that the owners are a unified group that all seek the same thing, you are totaly misreading the situation. The owners of Philly, Detroit, Vancouver, NY... want to spend and all have found ways to go around the CBA. Some owners are nearly bankrupt. Bettman and a small group sets the tone and he is a leader amongst that group, far from a lowly gofer.

i'm not bettman's #1 fan but i fail to see how he gets blame for this. players are employees, they already make a boatload of money as is. the owners/investors/etc... at one point had to take a risk/investment to make a succesful return. i don't see the logic in the players wanting 50/50 or whatever from profits. compare your job to your boss, do you make 50/50 with him/her? F NO!

thing is he is not the puppet of all the owners he is the puppet of the select few he makes happy does he not only need 8 of the 30 owners behind him to make anything happen?

this could make lots of other owners unhappy but as long as he has the select few with him he can do whatever he or they feel is needed.

do you really think the Canucks owners care about rolling back on contracts they signed. No i am pretty sure they have stated all they care about is winning the CUP.,

there are teams that have owners that will do eveything to make there players better/happier/healthier above and beyond there paychecks.

just like an employer that offers a great benifits package and or bonuses.. do they need to do that ?

lol, you realize that the players half is divided up among, what, 24 guys per team, whereas there's (usually) one owner?

Compare to your job, do you make 1/24 of what your boss makes???

Archived