Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Employee Of The Year: GARY BETTMAN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#31 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

i'm not bettman's #1 fan but i fail to see how he gets blame for this. players are employees, they already make a boatload of money as is. the owners/investors/etc... at one point had to take a risk/investment to make a succesful return. i don't see the logic in the players wanting 50/50 or whatever from profits. compare your job to your boss, do you make 50/50 with him/her? F NO!

I think it's more like Dragons Den then my job. Owners sit on thrones beside big piles of money as players are paraded through and bid on if the dragons like what they see.

Bettman has taken NHL revenues from $400M to $3.3B during his tenure. What ownership group would argue that. There is a vein of thought that the ownership group can be duped by Bettman and actually support moves that are not in their interests. To honestly believe that suggests little or no business experience.

The bottom line that many forgetis that the franchises that comprise the NHL are individual businesses that compete for a league championship. Winning that championship means money to the bottom line. Fans can point to inflated contracts as an example of corporate irresponsibility but I few it as calculated attempts to increase profits. Obviously these attempts will work better for some than others. Also true that these contracts carry more risk to some than others. Sport always produces the ultimate winner by who carries the trophy from the field. That is the flash and does carry a financial reward as well. But all clubs cannot win that trophy. Their reward has to be running a solid business that generates a profit so that they can compete another day.

Yeah, there's definitely no complete consensus amongst the owners. And inflated contracts aren't just calculated attempts, but necessities - look at what happened with Weber. The Preds had to match it.

As for Bettman, you don't get his job by being a ventriloquist's dummy. The owners give him mandates and he probably has a certain amount of freedom in implementing them, and I'm sure he has ideas of his own. My Employee of the Year Award goes to Laurence Gilman,I'm positive he had convinced Doan to come to the Canucks if he decided not to resign in Phoenix.

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.