The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

On 5/5/2017 at 5:26 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He really had to work to earn Green's confidence too. Got cut by Green early in 15-16 and sent to the ECHL, then was in and out of the lineup to start 16-17... eventually it became obvious he was outperforming a lot of his peers and by the end of the year he was on first unit PP, getting regular PK shifts, logging a ton of ice time. He reminds me of Stecher the way he can hold the line in the offensive zone, he's so composed with the puck. I think having Green as the coach in Vancouver definitely gives him a leg up because Green already knows what McEneny can do and knows that he's the type of player who'll work his tail off to improve. He'll be a fight with Pedan and Juolevi to make the roster for sure; each brings an interesting skill set to the table so it'll be fun to see that play out.

So, the type of player Willie loved then.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:01 PM, SilentSam said:

He looked solid in his first and only game with the Canucks this year.

... Perhaps that talent "train" was halted at the destination point.

Or maybe Green was not as good as Willie at bringing talent on. Still never mind JB has signed all these NHL calibre UFA's so Green won't have to go through the hell Willie went through. Sounds more like it. We are in for an interesting season ahead.

Evan McEneny is going to create an interesting problem for the Canucks.  Only 23 years old and showed great potential in the AHL last year who just signed a cheap two year contract and is no longer waiver exempt.  Young enough to be considered a free prospect by another team at waiver time.

• Upvote 2

Juolevi is still a year away imo but I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team considering how much weight he put on. Pedan I don't think is NHL material. 

Makes sense for Evan to make the jump this year at 23. He's no longer waiver exempt and he was the top defenseman for the Comets last year. 

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Evan McEneny is going to create an interesting problem for the Canucks.  Only 23 years old and showed great potential in the AHL last year who just signed a cheap two year contract and is no longer waiver exempt.  Young enough to be considered a free prospect by another team at waiver time.

Other than that McEneny needs to play more than a 7th D, I'd rather we keep him up and waive Biega to Utica (barring a bad camp) as McEneny can also play right side.

Alternately, I still wouldn't mind a Tanev trade.

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Gudbranson

Hutton/Juolevi, McEneny

Wiercioch, Biega

...would be just fine 8D depth.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Other than that McEneny needs to play more than a 7th D, I'd rather we keep him up and waive Biega to Utica (barring a bad camp) as McEneny can also play right side.

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Gudbranson

Hutton/Juolevi, McEneny

Wiercioch, Biega

Unfortunately a decision on Biega's role will have to be made fairly early in the NHL season. I say unfortunately because any sign of maturing by a younger prospect should send Biega down to Utica. McEneny could play 20 games in Utica and then come to Vancouver. Green knows him well after last season and hopefully he sees a role for him. I will be quite happy to see Julevi spend another year in London. 

As you suggest a Tanev trade would still be a big option based on return. JB talked about trade opportunity in the fall as teams refine their rosters. We all know how important th first 20 games are as far as final results. 2018 is a huge draft year for Vancouver. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Unfortunately a decision on Biega's role will have to be made fairly early in the NHL season. I say unfortunately because any sign of maturing by a younger prospect should send Biega down to Utica. McEneny could play 20 games in Utica and then come to Vancouver. Green knows him well after last season and hopefully he sees a role for him. I will be quite happy to see Julevi spend another year in London. 

As you suggest a Tanev trade would still be a big option based on return. JB talked about trade opportunity in the fall as teams refine their rosters. We all know how important th first 20 games are as far as final results. 2018 is a huge draft year for Vancouver. 

I'm not sure I want us to risk McEneny on waivers is my problem.

He could very well get 'Corrado'd' but unlike Franky, I think he could be a real loss. He has far more upside IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

This is a situation where they need to waive guys like this within the 1st few days of the pre-season like they did with Markstrom a few years ago. The problem with that this season is that the Canucks are playing split squad games in China this year. I can really see us losing a couple of guys to the waiver wire this year and it might be the reason Benning and co. brought in so many free agents this year.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'm not sure I want us to risk McEneny on waivers is my problem.

He could very well get 'Corrado'd' but unlike Franky, I think he could be a real loss. He has far more upside IMO.

My memory fails. Don't players come up from the AHL without being waived? I thought they only had to clear going down. Totally agree that losing this kid could really bite later on. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My memory fails. Don't players come up from the AHL without being waived? I thought they only had to clear going down. Totally agree that losing this kid could really bite later on. 

That would be the problem.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

You are correct in that there are no re-entry waivers anymore so the risk is losing McEneny at the end of preseason when they have to get the roster down to 23 players.  That is the time that Corrado was lost two years ago and Etem last year.  Because he is only 23 years old and progressed significantly last year the waiver risk is real.  If he does clear waivers and called up a some point he wouldn't require waivers again unless he either plays 10 NHL games or spends a total of 30 days on the NHL roster. 

19 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Wink :P

That alone's gotta be worth a high 1st.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't see Biega staying up, and having him on the farm would be big not only for the team which missed his leadership last year but for the rookie dmen coming in, too.  There's almost always a couple dmen injured to start the season so that should be the opening for McEneny to stick around.  If he does, I think Pedan is waivered out. 

As always, so much will be determined by camp and pre-season.  Juolevi and Holm have the disadvantage of being able to be sent back safely.  I believe chances are good JB pulls the trigger on something this summer again (last year was Gudbranson, the summer before was Sutter) with Edler as the #1 option or Tanev if he gets a truly outstanding offer.  How "close" he means when speaking of Juolevi and Holm is likely a determinant in that.  But maybe with the extra bodies now he'll feel more comfortable letting go of one of his older ones, realizing it's going to be another challenging year anyway.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Gudbranson

Hutton/Juolevi, McEneny

Wiercioch, Biega

The two signings make our D look that much better, even without Tanev, I agree. 

My worry by not dealing him at the draft is that he'll suffer an injury during the season and we won't be able to move him at the TDL. If that's the plan of course, which I think it should be. 

Pray for a healthy season this year from our D-corps and moving into the draft next season we hopefully should have a few picks in the first round. 

On 13/07/2017 at 6:50 AM, UticaHockey said:

Agreed, they can't lose McEneny.......unlike Corrado, he is a legit top 4 prospect

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, they can't lose McEneny.......unlike Corrado, he is a legit top 4 prospect

They really need to trade someone... Tanev, Hutton, Edler...doesn't really matter but somebody's on the outs IMO.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully McEneny has a strong camp and makes the decision easy for the Canucks. His history with Green should give him a bit of a leg up (since Travis considered McEneny the best Utica D last year, at least among those on Canucks contracts). But he's going to need to beat out a few guys that are legitimate NHL options for those 7/8 D spots.

That all said, I definitely like his chances of making the team better than his chances of sneaking through waivers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They really need to trade someone... Tanev, Hutton, Edler...doesn't really matter but somebody's on the outs IMO.

This is one of those rare times where we can lose a trade and still make our team better. Similar to the hall trade. 

• Upvote 3