The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

Rough. Guy blows out his knee during his draft season and goes from highly ranked to slipping through undrafted. Now, just as he seemed to be breaking through as a pro, another season ending knee injury.

On the positive side, his 2011 injury is what allowed us to sign him in the first place (as an undrafted free agent). Maybe this injury will be what allows us to keep him in the system (as he’ll be less likely to get claimed on waivers next year after losing this season).

• Upvote 2

Tough goings for Evan, thought at some point he might be a nice call up.

Opens the door though for guys like Sautner, Brisebois and even Cederholm to get some good looks especially with Subban and Holm hurt.

Our defensive depth is getting tested in the parent and farm club.

Terrible news... McEneny was my favourite player to watch on the Comets last year, was really hoping he'd have another solid season and keep pushing for a call-up to the big club. Hopefully management re-signs him and he gets in a good summer of rehab. His path to the NHL just became more of a longshot, but he's a very solid all-around player at the AHL level and won't count towards the vet limit for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Terrible news... McEneny was my favourite player to watch on the Comets last year, was really hoping he'd have another solid season and keep pushing for a call-up to the big club. Hopefully management re-signs him and he gets in a good summer of rehab. His path to the NHL just became more of a longshot, but he's a very solid all-around player at the AHL level and won't count towards the vet limit for a while.

Yeah, I really like McEneny, remember seeing him in his last year of junior (he was on a weak team, but he was getting 30 minutes a night) and then in the young stars in Penticton.  I thought he was the best defenceman for the Canucks at the youngstars that year (and I said so), even though he only played a single game.  Very mobile for a big guy, very strong, great gap control, controlled guys in the corners, and made great plays to get out of the zone - skating, long or short pass - he made good choices - his horizontal movement from lane to lane on D was superb.  He got sent down to the ECHL his first pro year with Cederholm and they both were huge + players on a weak Kalamazoo squad. At first in the AHL he was very, very solid and got Green's trust then Green gave him offensive opportunities and he had good numbers.  Last year he really came into his own offensively for Utica.  He became the number one guy on the PP and the PK. He improved in the way that I had hoped that Subban would have. This year, with a new coach, it didn't take long for Cull to decide McEneny was his guy.  Real shame.  Well, his NHL career is just delayed, not over.  He'll be back next year to show he belongs in the show.

Benning has done well picking up this kind of guy (Chatfield, McEwan), though I believe Gillis signed McEneny.  He is really a good argument for keeping D prospects around a little longer after junior and having a second tier team (ECHL) to send them to (too bad Carl Neill didn't get a shot at that).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Tough, tough times for McEneny.  Young players have to play a lot of games to develop and this could have a severe effect on his future career.  Quite a mountain for this young man to climb.  Sure wish him all the best.

A lot of reasons why young players don't make the NHL and ability is not always the reason. 

Terrible news. He's under a two year deal, so he'll be back next season. Hopefully the extended recovery/rest will have him be ready to compete for a Canucks spot next season. I honestly think he could snag a 7th or 8th d man spot still, despite this injury.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 3:11 PM, UticaHockey said:

How he got hurt.

Looking at this video, it appears that McEneny gets nailed because he is covering up for a missed check. I can't see the number on the player that missed his check, but it looks a lot like Jordan Subban. If it is, then his defensive skills really were/ are mediocre. Welcome Nic Dowd.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Looking at this video, it appears that McEneny gets nailed because he is covering up for a missed check. I can't see the number on the player that missed his check, but it looks a lot like Jordan Subban. If it is, then his defensive skills really were/ are mediocre. Welcome Nic Dowd.

I agree with you.  It sucks and Subban didn't do anything to slow the checker down, not even one bit.  Looks like a floater there and let him go and covers for McEneny by switching up.   Just a bit lazy play on his part.  Glad that he is traded away.