The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

23 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Just dances around Subban.... 

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as everyone, but what could Subban have done without taking a penalty. The puck was dumped in and the forward was hard on the forecheck. He didn't get danced around because the forward didn't stick handle through him and he made the forward take a slightly wider path without interfering (depends on how the refereeing is that game, the limits on what is considered interference may vary). He then covers for McEneny rather than two defenders chasing the puck. Pretty sure this is a standard play for a defensive pair that turned out bad due to a hard forecheck and possibly McEneny's knee not strong enough yet from his previous injury on the same knee.

I agree that Subban isn't strong defensively and he's probably made many mistakes, but I think it's a bit of a reach to put blame him for the injury. I'm no coach or anything, but I'm curious to hear how Subban should've played this properly.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as everyone, but what could Subban have done without taking a penalty. The puck was dumped in and the forward was hard on the forecheck. He didn't get danced around because the forward didn't stick handle through him and he made the forward take a slightly wider path without interfering (depends on how the refereeing is that game, the limits on what is considered interference may vary). He then covers for McEneny rather than two defenders chasing the puck. Pretty sure this is a standard play for a defensive pair that turned out bad due to a hard forecheck and possibly McEneny's knee not strong enough yet from his previous injury on the same knee.

I agree that Subban isn't strong defensively and he's probably made many mistakes, but I think it's a bit of a reach to put blame him for the injury. I'm no coach or anything, but I'm curious to hear how Subban should've played this properly.

Yes, I think you have read the play correctly. I probably owe Subban an apology !

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Yes, I think you have read the play correctly. I probably owe Subban an apology !

Don't feel bad. It's the norm on here. Hero to bum as soon as a player is traded.

When they are here, every excuse under the sun is made for their mistakes/shortcomings/perceived weaknesses BUT after they are traded it's like a veil is dropped and reality shines through.

It was ever thus with "new,  shiny, hip"

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He required waivers this year too fwiw. Either way, we've derailed AG's thread enough lol

Bringing this from the Gaudette thread.

McEneny, through some fairly odd criteria, was not required to go through waivers this year. It was one of those rare CBA things that benefited the 'nucks.

Not fortuitous on the 2nd round pick for the Tortorella signing scale, but avoided ( I think ) a real possibility of losing him. His current injury kind of negates any good fortune that came our way. McEneny will not be part of our top 6 + Juolevi + ( #1 draft pick ). Can he be the 2nd spare d-man along with Biega ? I hope so, he's my favourite from the Comet ranks.

PS....everything here assumes that there is no personnel movement in the off season. I'll try to find the criteria that allowed him to be waiver free.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I'll try to find the criteria that allowed him to be waiver free.

On 9/23/2017 at 5:32 PM, UticaHockey said:

5 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Edited by SingleThorn

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Bringing this from the Gaudette thread.

McEneny, through some fairly odd criteria, was not required to go through waivers this year. It was one of those rare CBA things that benefited the 'nucks.

Not fortuitous on the 2nd round pick for the Tortorella signing scale, but avoided ( I think ) a real possibility of losing him. His current injury kind of negates any good fortune that came our way. McEneny will not be part of our top 6 + Juolevi + ( #1 draft pick ). Can he be the 2nd spare d-man along with Biega ? I hope so, he's my favourite from the Comet ranks.

PS....everything here assumes that there is no personnel movement in the off season. I'll try to find the criteria that allowed him to be waiver free.

Thanks, yeah, I recall that now ;)

• 4 months later...

So this was written on the 5th of December. The estimated timetable should now be through and McEneny should be healthy. Does anyone have any details, or know where to find any? Twitter has no information about McEneny that I can find. I still have hopes that he could be our #1D on Utica this year. Him being healthy could really elevate the team to Calder Cup contenders. If I remember, his D partner on Utica was Chatfield.

13 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

So this was written on the 5th of December. The estimated timetable should now be through and McEneny should be healthy. Does anyone have any details, or know where to find any? Twitter has no information about McEneny that I can find. I still have hopes that he could be our #1D on Utica this year. Him being healthy could really elevate the team to Calder Cup contenders. If I remember, his D partner on Utica was Chatfield.

His partner on the play that he was injured on was Jordan Subban. The video was short and may have skewed the context of the play, but Jordan seemed to blow his assignment. Don't know who his regular partner was !

1 hour ago, Brobidus said:

There hasn't been any information on how eMac's rehab is going.  At least nothing that I've heard.

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

There hasn't been any information on how eMac's rehab is going.  At least nothing that I've heard.

His injury was very disappointing to those of s who thought he might get some games in Van last year. Hoping the injury does not set him back to badly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

His injury was very disappointing to those of s who thought he might get some games in Van last year. Hoping the injury does not set him back to badly.

'Silver lining', it probably means he more easily passes waivers this fall...:blush:

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Was Greens go to guy before he got hurt  .63 points per game could be a stud if given a chance.

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Uh no he wasn't. 

The year before Green sent eMac back to the ECHL in favor John Freaking Negrin. 

18 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The year before Green sent eMac back to the ECHL in favor John Freaking Negrin. 

I think he means cull.  But if you're going to act like you know what you're talking about you have to get the head coach right lol.

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think he means cull.  But if you're going to act like you know what you're talking about you have to get the head coach right lol.

Green coached  McEneny in Utica , Yes. Don't call people down it shows what a Mature Person You Are

• Wat 1