The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, dpn1 said:

With OJ, Sautner and other Dmen passing him by on the depth chart, I wonder if he has missed his chance at becoming a NHL regular.  I may be off on this but I just don;t see a future for him as a Canuck.

How can you say that early 20s come on!

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Evan McEneny placed on waivers today by the Canucks with the intent to send him to Utica.

.. I’m not understanding this...   a report had him only just skating with Rossell,  and in a Red Jersey in Utica.. why does he have to clear waivers when he may have only come to Vancouver to condition in the off season after an injury..?   @stonecoldstevebernier & @UticaHockey..  you 2 are good at this stuff. :) 

Edited by SilentSam

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

McEneny is waiver eligible so he has to clear waivers to be sent down.

Question for you, does McEneny usually play the left side? I assumed he does simply because he’s a lefty but noticed in his high lights he ends up on the right a fair bit.

44 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. I’m not understanding this...   a report had him only just skating with Rossell,  and in a Red Jersey in Utica.. why does he have to clear waivers when he may have only come to Vancouver to condition in the off season after an injury..?   @stonecoldstevebernier & @UticaHockey..  you 2 are good at this stuff. :) 

He is under a NHL contract.  At the end of their season every player is back on the Canucks off-season roster whether juniors, abroad, AHL because their contract is with the Canucks.  Players can't stay on the Utica roster in the off-season as they were only on loan for the season.

Everyone going to Utica on a NHL contract is loaned by the Canucks for the season so if they are waiver eligible they have to go through waivers.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 3

Hope to see McEneny rebound well in Utica this year. He was quite possibly my favourite player to watch in 2016-17 and if it weren't for the injury last year it likely would've been him instead of Sautner that got called up for that late season game action. Good to see that he's finally healthy enough to be returned to Utica.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Question for you, does McEneny usually play the left side? I assumed he does simply because he’s a lefty but noticed in his high lights he ends up on the right a fair bit.

It's been a while since I've seen him play but if memory serves me he played primarily on the left side at even strength and the right side on the PP. 

11 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

It's been a while since I've seen him play but if memory serves me he played primarily on the left side at even strength and the right side on the PP. 

That would explain a lot of his high lights are from the right side. Thanks 

4 hours ago, Nancouver said:

McEneny played the right side his last year in junior and much of the time in Utica - as well as on the Utica PP.

15 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Does not apply to McEneny as he was injured in the AHL and not with the Canucks at the time.

Actually that doesn't exactly matter. Sami Salo got injured in the summer of 2010, playing ball hockey and snapped his hamstring. Canucks placed him on the active roster to start the season and then immediately put him on LTIR afterwards, otherwise they couldn't use that money to punch above the cap. Same idea. They use McEneny to start the season, put him on LTIR. He could have made the team. Nobody knows for sure *wink*. Then send him down right after he is healed up. It's better to take every single inch the CBA is going to give you instead of leaving it. If they don't need it, oh well.