The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think you’re right on the money that McEneny “looks like an NHL player,” at least when he’s healthy and settled into midseason form. I’d love to see him avoid any further injuries and possibly get a late season call up, after we move some expiring contracts at the TDL. I think given the opportunity, and if he can stay healthy, he could prove himself to be a good option for us as a third pairing/depth D at the NHL level.

Quick question Sid, will he require waivers if we call him up? Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Quick question Sid, will he require waivers if we call him up? Thanks!

He'll need waivers if he spends 30 days with the Canucks or if he plays 10 NHL games. Whatever comes first.

I wish Evan was in Vancouver right now. God knows he's an upgrade on Del Zotto and Pouliot... and perhaps... Biega?

• Thanks 1

Ok time for me to add my "salty" commentary.  While McEneny is skating better than he was in October there is no way that he could handle the pace of the NHL right now.  He is still a long way from where he was before he lost most of last season from knee injury and surgery.

The Comets are a league worse -22 goal differential and the defense is a mess. Take the +- stat for what it's worth but Evan is a team worse -17 and has not played well at all in the defensive zone of late.  Sadly the only dmen that are playing well right now are AHL contracted Blujus and Sifers neither of which have any NHL upside.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but it is the state of the Comets defense right now.

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

He'll need waivers if he spends 30 days with the Canucks or if he plays 10 NHL games. Whatever comes first.

I wish Evan was in Vancouver right now. God knows he's an upgrade on Del Zotto and Pouliot... and perhaps... Biega?

Much as I really like McEneny and have been writing about him on this forum since he was a junior, I have to say that I am concerned about his defensive game - which is not something I would have been before his last injury.  I believe he has to repair his defensive game before he gets a call up.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Much as I really like McEneny and have been writing about him on this forum since he was a junior, I have to say that I am concerned about his defensive game - which is not something I would have been before his last injury.  I believe he has to repair his defensive game before he gets a call up.

I really like him as a potential NHL defense man but he has a ways to go yet IMO, before he is even back to where he was prior to his injury. If he continues to make progress over the rest of this season and gets an injury free off season to train; he may surprise a few fans at next years training camp.

• Upvote 1

It’s hard to say what the permanent  affect of injury is, but I agree with that this season to get his game back together, and another to refine it, might be what McEneny needs.  Most defencemen take extra time to be NHL ready, hopefully McEneny makes.  Who knows maybe this year and a good summer of training migh be enough.

McEnemy and Utica roster.

There is only one plus D player on the roster.

McEnemy is a minus 16, shoots left 6'3'/200 while Dylan Blujus is also 6'3"/200 and is a plus 7. Blujus was a second round pick of Tampa and shoots right both are 24 years old are we overlooking some one ?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

McEnemy and Utica roster.

There is only one plus D player on the roster.

McEnemy is a minus 16, shoots left 6'3'/200 while Dylan Blujus is also 6'3"/200 and is a plus 7. Blujus was a second round pick of Tampa and shoots right both are 24 years old are we overlooking some one ?

I'm not a fan of the +/- statistic in determining the value of a player. A lot has to do with deployment and which of the other teams lines the player is usually matched up against. I will be the first to admit I know very little about Dylan Blujus but since you are looking at his +/- you might check how he fared last year.... he was a +9 player for Utica during the regular season but in the playoffs vs the Marlies he was -6 in five games..... Was he being utilized differently in the playoffs? Are there deficiencies in his game that the Marlies exploited? I will leave that part of this discussion to the fans in Utica that watch the games and have a front row seat to the games

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2018 at 2:50 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not a fan of the +/- statistic in determining the value of a player. A lot has to do with deployment and which of the other teams lines the player is usually matched up against. I will be the first to admit I know very little about Dylan Blujus but since you are looking at his +/- you might check how he fared last year.... he was a +9 player for Utica during the regular season but in the playoffs vs the Marlies he was -6 in five games..... Was he being utilized differently in the playoffs? Are there deficiencies in his game that the Marlies exploited? I will leave that part of this discussion to the fans in Utica that watch the games and have a front row seat to the games

Blujus is pretty strong defensively, but he struggles against strong skating teams - like the Marlies were last year.  In the NHL, compared to the AHL, that describes almost every team.  McEneny, by comparison has a big negative plus/minus this year, but it has to be remembered that he is coming back from a serious injury.  Since Juolevi went down, McEneny has taken over the PP QB spot, and his game has started to come back together - his skating, vision, and quick thinking in offensive situations make him a more versatile player than Blujus.  Before his last injury, when Green was still coaching Utica, he was Green’s all situations preferred defender who eventually took over the PP from Jordan Subban.  That continued under Cull till he got hurt.

I’m not trying to put down Blujus, and I do put some credence in plus/minuses that are sustained over extended periods and considered in context with player deployment, as you mentioned.  Blujus earned his good +/- over a pretty extended period, I don’t think that can be entirely explained by good fortune.  

38 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

McEneny with his seventh point in his last six games.  It looks like he is back on his game.  +1 over that period, deployed in all situations - first unit PP in Juolevi’s absence.

39 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

McEneny with his seventh point in his last six games.  It looks like he is back on his game.  +1 over that period, deployed in all situations - first unit PP in Juolevi’s absence.

I was not particularly surprised by McEneny's slow start to the season given all the time that he was injured last year and I agree with you on him looking like he is now starting to find his game again. McEneny's +/- was to be a bit expected as he really did not have any off season to train and has been playing catch up during the first part of the season. I expect he will either stay at or around his current +/- level now or trend more positive for the rest of the season (god forbidding another injury).

As for Dylan Blujus; he was a 2nd round pick of Tampa back in 2012 so there must have been something to his game that they liked.

Again; I really know very little about him but he has played well for Utica when called upon so it depends on what the Canucks management think of his game.

I noticed that management just signed 20 yr old  RD Mitch Eliot of the Sarnia Sting to a 3 yr entry level contract so anything is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I am really hoping that the Canucks give Evan McEneny a call up at some point towards the latter part of the season and see where he is at. It has been a tough couple of years for him due to long term injuries and for someone who was not able to put in a solid off season he is playing reasonably well. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am really hoping that the Canucks give Evan McEneny a call up at some point towards the latter part of the season and see where he is at. It has been a tough couple of years for him due to long term injuries and for someone who was not able to put in a solid off season he is playing reasonably well. 

I agree. As much as I keep hoping that Pouliot will wake up from a hockey dream where he played Bobby Orr and kept the skills I am starting to suspect that won't happen. WOuld love to see McEneny get 3 or 4 games but it would be the finish of Pouliot. Many would say that is justified but the bottom line is he only has about 160 NHL games. Pouliot could be next years Hutton. OK, not likely. All this aside they have to get a look at McEneny. Next year they could have 4 guys trying to take a d-core spot.   

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I agree. As much as I keep hoping that Pouliot will wake up from a hockey dream where he played Bobby Orr and kept the skills I am starting to suspect that won't happen. WOuld love to see McEneny get 3 or 4 games but it would be the finish of Pouliot. Many would say that is justified but the bottom line is he only has about 160 NHL games. Pouliot could be next years Hutton. OK, not likely. All this aside they have to get a look at McEneny. Next year they could have 4 guys trying to take a d-core spot.   

I'm hopeful too, but don't expect it will change, in a positive way, for Pouliot.  Green challenged both Hutton and Pouliot to be better prepared to play this season.  Hutton took that step and leaped forward.  Pouliot might be in better shape, but it's not showing in his decision making.  He still makes mistakes like he's tired, and not thinking clearly.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I'm hopeful too, but don't expect it will change, in a positive way, for Pouliot.  Green challenged both Hutton and Pouliot to be better prepared to play this season.  Hutton took that step and leaped forward.  Pouliot might be in better shape, but it's not showing in his decision making.  He still makes mistakes like he's tired, and not thinking clearly.  

Very much agree. Id be happy to not have to watch Pouliot or Del Zotto anymore this year. If we could trade Edler though Id have to think we need to take a vet LD cap dump back or hold onto Del Zotto. Pouliot just seems unable to play consistently in this league. Dream scenario would be trade Edler and Del Zotto and get a guy back like Hainsey, Coburn or even a guy like Koekkoek.

Hutton-Guddy

_traded player_-Tanev

McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois etc.-Stecher

POuliot-Biega

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Very much agree. Id be happy to not have to watch Pouliot or Del Zotto anymore this year. If we could trade Edler though Id have to think we need to take a vet LD cap dump back or hold onto Del Zotto. Pouliot just seems unable to play consistently in this league. Dream scenario would be trade Edler and Del Zotto and get a guy back like Hainsey, Coburn or even a guy like Koekkoek.

Hutton-Guddy

_traded player_-Tanev

McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois etc.-Stecher

POuliot-Biega

There are the rumors about Quinn Hughes coming out earlier than the end of his college season too.  Adding him ASAP would be great!  He could play in that spot with Tanev?

• Upvote 1

Right now, I am just hoping that the Canucks will offer him a contract after this season as he will be an RFA. With the injuries he has had I am really pulling for him to make it to the NHL but I suspect he is going to have to show more in the 2nd half of the season to get that contract. Here's hoping he does.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Sautner and Brisbois are probably deserving of a look see to better evaluate where their games are at vs NHL players as well.

• Upvote 1