The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is it just me or is McEneny being underrated? I'm still baffled at how people suggest bringing up Brisebois or Sautner instead of McEneny. Does McEneny have bad defense or something? His offensive numbers far and away outstrip Sautner and Brisebois and it's not like age is a huge factor either. He's the same age as Sautner (24 years old) and admittedly three years older than Brisebois (21 years old).

McEneny's having the best year of his career and is a big physical body at 6'3" and 221lbs. How can we not give this kid a chance?

A comparison of their offensive numbers:

McEneny.png

McEneny is currently on pace for 12 goals, 28 assists, and 40 points in a full 76-game season. I say we give him a shot at some point this year.

Two knee surgeries(at least, I think?) have hampered the poor dude's case. Perhaps they're trying to give him a full yr to get on-track? Agree though, I've long wanted to see him get a good gander.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Two knee surgeries(at least, I think?) have hampered the poor dude's case. Perhaps they're trying to give him a full yr to get on-track? Agree though, I've long wanted to see him get a good gander.

Never seen the guy play other than in Penticton. Rumors he was no longer in the long term plans seem odd as this is a comeback year for him after injury. Appears to be doing a good job of it. 

• Upvote 1

I tend to think there’s a little bit of the “old regime’s prospect” stigma attached to McEneny (which happens in every organization and is certainly nothing unique to Vancouver or anything new in the world of hockey). JB talks up guys like Sautner and Brisebois (and deservedly so), but tends to be pretty silent about McEneny, unless asked directly. For me, McEneny should be in the discussion with those other two, as potential D call-ups who should get a look this season, especially now that McEneny is getting his legs back and finally healthy and looking to be in true game shape. Even with his injury struggles and recovery, he has been putting up very good production this season, and playing an important role for Utica.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I tend to think there’s a little bit of the “old regime’s prospect” stigma attached to McEneny (which happens in every organization and is certainly nothing unique to Vancouver or anything new in the world of hockey). JB talks up guys like Sautner and Brisebois (and deservedly so), but tends to be pretty silent about McEneny, unless asked directly. For me, McEneny should be in the discussion with those other two, as potential D call-ups who should get a look this season, especially now that McEneny is getting his legs back and finally healthy and looking to be in true game shape. Even with his injury struggles and recovery, he has been putting up very good production this season, and playing an important role for Utica.

Totally agree Sid especially since McEneny is older. Very sad if management would have their judgement clouded by who drafted who. Of McEneny, Sautner, Brisbois and Chatfield I suspect only Brisbois gets a real crack at the NHL. If one of those 4 play 100 games it would be a org home run.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I was taken back a little bit when JB stated that McEneny was more of a "Depth guy." He's definitely been showing well in Utica, and I think now is a good time to see what our "depth" has to offer at the next level considering Edler's recent injury and with the TDL around the corner.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I was taken back a little bit when JB stated that McEneny was more of a "Depth guy." He's definitely been showing well in Utica, and I think now is a good time to see what our "depth" has to offer at the next level considering Edler's recent injury and with the TDL around the corner.

Yeah, if he’s truly a “depth” defenceman, then he should be first call-up when we need to draw on our depth due to injuries.

Interestingly, McEneny this season is posting nearly identical scoring totals and rates to what Pouliot produced in his most recent year at the AHL level. I do believe that Pouliot brings more flash and has a higher skill level, but McEneny has better size and seems to play a more steady two-way game. I think he deserves a shot at showing whether or not he can translate his abilities to the NHL level.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, if he’s truly a “depth” defenceman, then he should be first call-up when we need to draw on our depth due to injuries.

Interestingly, McEneny this season is posting nearly identical scoring totals and rates to what Pouliot produced in his most recent year at the AHL level. I do believe that Pouliot brings more flash and has a higher skill level, but McEneny has better size and seems to play a more steady two-way game. I think he deserves a shot at showing whether or not he can translate his abilities to the NHL level.

Edler and Baer down ends the Canuck season. I always thought it more important this year that Utica prospects got some NHL games. I think that and a Calder Cup run would do more over the long term towards winning a CUP. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Benning told Patrick Johnston of the Province last month that he doesn't see McEneny seeing time with the Canucks this season.  He will be a UFA at the end of the season.  He hopes to get a look at Brisebois, Chatfield and Sautner though.  

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Does McEneny have to clear waivers to be sent back down if Edler isn’t gone for long? That could be a reason why they brought up Brisebois.

Only if he plays 10 games or is in the NHL for 30 days.  Brisebois is the better option regardless of waiver status.  The knee injuries that McEneny has suffered has limited his skating ability. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, therodigy said:

He is not a ‘depth guy’ in Utica, he is the most offensively talented D they have with the possible exception of Juolevi.  He is a better player defensively than Juolevi, but not as good as Sautner defensively.  But Juolevi is hurt and Sautner is just back from injury.  All are left D’s.  Unless there is a waiver problem, Indon’t see Benning’s reluctance to call on him.  But what the hell do I know, Benning and his staff are the talent evaluators - brings then we have Pouliot, so there is that.

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He is not a ‘depth guy’ in Utica, he is the most offensively talented D they have with the possible exception of Juolevi.  He is a better player defensively than Juolevi, but not as good as Sautner defensively.  But Juolevi is hurt and Sautner is just back from injury.  All are left D’s.  Unless there is a waiver problem, Indon’t see Benning’s reluctance to call on him.  But what the hell do I know, Benning and his staff are the talent evaluators - brings then we have Pouliot, so there is that.

Pouliot was an AHL star in 2016.......people should remember that when listing comets dmen who are better than DP.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Pouliot was an AHL star in 2016.......people should remember that when listing comets dmen who are better than DP.

Only 1 way to find out if our young star defense men are better, is to play them. Maybe we have an AHL star this year that can hold up in the NHL level better than way pouliot has been able to do. Pouliot has had an awful year defensively Bring up the young guns, see what we have. Can't hurt any more.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Only 1 way to find out if our young star defense men are better, is to play them. Maybe we have an AHL star this year that can hold up in the NHL level better than way pouliot has been able to do. Pouliot has had an awful year defensively Bring up the young guns, see what we have. Can't hurt any more.

he hasn't been close to as bad as people make him out to be.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Boucher is a perennial allstar in the AHL, but can't play in the NHL.  Kevin Bieksa was not an ahl all star, but has had an outstanding nhl career, so being an ahl all star doesn't mean squat related to NHL success.  That also goes for Tanev and Edler - supposedly our best NHL defenders.  

• Upvote 1