The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

14 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Maybe not as bad as some descriptions of his play, but he can have some stinkers of a game.

no argument there, but he also has some good games and, generally, makes more good plays than bad ones.  It's unfortunate that the mistakes he makes are glaring ones.

When management sees you in a certain light, you have to be exceptional to change their minds. A guy like him could have the perfect game going but make one boneheaded error and that's what everyone focuses on. It's the nature of the beast so to speak. This is why guys like McEneny stay buried in the depths of the minors. The AHL is full of guys who could be serviceable bottom 6 forwards or 5-6 defencemen but their games have holes.  If you can't improve your game versus AHL level players, what makes you think management will give you a chance against better competition?

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

no argument there, but he also has some good games and, generally, makes more good plays than bad ones.  It's unfortunate that the mistakes he makes are glaring ones.

Playing with Guddy lately hasn’t helped him either. That’s a really tough spot to be in. The left side of the Gudbranson pairing has really chewed up Canucks Dmen these past seasons. Pouliot seems to struggle under pressure in his own zone, and Gudbranson does very little to help alleviate this, as he shares many of the same issues with decision making, finding the right outlets, and supporting a successful breakout.

Unfortunately, Guddy seems to be a defensive minded defenceman who just doesn’t really defend well, and that’s probably not the type of partner that Pouliot needs. 

Pouliot actually plays decent enough with Stecher, but that’s not necessarily the best use of resources, as Stecher is one of our better top-4 options, and Pouliot shouldn’t ever really play higher than 3rd pairing.

Green seemed to be doing the best he could to shelter Pouliot and Gudbranson and limit their minutes, but this was mostly mitigating the damage (with varying success) that pairing inflicts upon the team. Playing them with Petey also helped stop some of the bleeding, as Pettersson does a really good job dropping back and supporting those two, but again, you have to question the use of resources when you have your best player and top offensive threat spending that much time and effort covering for a weak D pairing.

Unfortunately, the Edler injury is not making things easier. It does break up Pouliot-Gudbranson, which is probably only a good thing. But it also elevates Guddy into the top-4, and pairs him with a rapidly declining Tanev who is now forced onto his off-side.

I don’t mind Pouliot-Biega as a limited action 3rd pairing, if they can be played behind a strong top-4. But right now, we have two pairings in Pouliot-Biega and Tanev-Gudbranson that need sheltering, and it’s debatable whether or not we can accommodate this by riding Hutton-Stecher for 30 minutes a game every night (although those two were studs last game and deserve major credit).

Ultimately, we just need better players on D. And I’m not sure how easy that will be to accomplish. Getting Hughes and Juolevi into the lineup should help, in time anyway, but they will need to acclimate and develop, and they only really help shore up the LH side (which, I suppose, at least solves the Pouliot issue).

The right side remains a bit of a mess though (outside of Stecher). Tanev seems to be declining faster than anyone could have predicted, seeing a steep decline recently in his underlying numbers (stats that used to be the crown jewel of our defensive group).

Guddy, I just don’t know. With the right partner, I suppose he can be useful as a 3rd pairing guy who brings elements to his game that are needed from time to time. But it also seems to be a big sacrifice to carry him when, at least to-date, he seems to tank the performance of every partner he’s given. Sometimes I think we just need to cash out and find a GM who values Gudbranson and will offer good assets for his services. Sure, we’d be a softer team without Guddy. But there must be some other options (and cheaper ones) that can fill our need for a handsome, likeable, occasional face-punching, #6 Dman.

Probably also time to cash in Tanev too and get what we can. I suspect we’ve already lost the market with any teams that heavily rely on analytics, but Tanev’s reputation as a first rate defensive Dman should linger a while yet and at least delay some of that value loss. For how long is anyone’s guess. But if current trends continue (and I really hope they don’t), I doubt we get much of anything back for Tanev in a year. At least right now there’s still a chance to recover some decent assets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, if he’s truly a “depth” defenceman, then he should be first call-up when we need to draw on our depth due to injuries.

Interestingly, McEneny this season is posting nearly identical scoring totals and rates to what Pouliot produced in his most recent year at the AHL level. I do believe that Pouliot brings more flash and has a higher skill level, but McEneny has better size and seems to play a more steady two-way game. I think he deserves a shot at showing whether or not he can translate his abilities to the NHL level.

You clearly haven’t watched McEneny on the power play - he is primarily a skilled guy capable of playing in all situations - especially against the other team’s best players (at least at an OHL level.  Unlike Pouliot, he never really got a shot in the show.  Pouliot was a highly rated first round pick that simply never paid off - lot’s of that kind of debris in the NHL (or no longer in the NHL).  The fact that he is given the least minutes on the team of the top six and plays only protected minutes, says pretty much all there is to say about him - tanker’s delight.

Edited by Ray_Cathode

I think multiple knee surgeries (dating back to Jr.) has taken its tole.  I watch most of the Comet games and while he is playing ok but seems to have lost a step.  It doesn't show as much in the "A" but I think it maybe exposed with faster skaters in Vancouver.  He may get a few call ups as a depth guy but I don't see him sticking in the NHL.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Playing with Guddy lately hasn’t helped him either. That’s a really tough spot to be in. The left side of the Gudbranson pairing has really chewed up Canucks Dmen these past seasons. Pouliot seems to struggle under pressure in his own zone, and Gudbranson does very little to help alleviate this, as he shares many of the same issues with decision making, finding the right outlets, and supporting a successful breakout.

Unfortunately, Guddy seems to be a defensive minded defenceman who just doesn’t really defend well, and that’s probably not the type of partner that Pouliot needs. 

Pouliot actually plays decent enough with Stecher, but that’s not necessarily the best use of resources, as Stecher is one of our better top-4 options, and Pouliot shouldn’t ever really play higher than 3rd pairing.

Green seemed to be doing the best he could to shelter Pouliot and Gudbranson and limit their minutes, but this was mostly mitigating the damage (with varying success) that pairing inflicts upon the team. Playing them with Petey also helped stop some of the bleeding, as Pettersson does a really good job dropping back and supporting those two, but again, you have to question the use of resources when you have your best player and top offensive threat spending that much time and effort covering for a weak D pairing.

Unfortunately, the Edler injury is not making things easier. It does break up Pouliot-Gudbranson, which is probably only a good thing. But it also elevates Guddy into the top-4, and pairs him with a rapidly declining Tanev who is now forced onto his off-side.

I don’t mind Pouliot-Biega as a limited action 3rd pairing, if they can be played behind a strong top-4. But right now, we have two pairings in Pouliot-Biega and Tanev-Gudbranson that need sheltering, and it’s debatable whether or not we can accommodate this by riding Hutton-Stecher for 30 minutes a game every night (although those two were studs last game and deserve major credit).

Ultimately, we just need better players on D. And I’m not sure how easy that will be to accomplish. Getting Hughes and Juolevi into the lineup should help, in time anyway, but they will need to acclimate and develop, and they only really help shore up the LH side (which, I suppose, at least solves the Pouliot issue).

The right side remains a bit of a mess though (outside of Stecher). Tanev seems to be declining faster than anyone could have predicted, seeing a steep decline recently in his underlying numbers (stats that used to be the crown jewel of our defensive group).

Guddy, I just don’t know. With the right partner, I suppose he can be useful as a 3rd pairing guy who brings elements to his game that are needed from time to time. But it also seems to be a big sacrifice to carry him when, at least to-date, he seems to tank the performance of every partner he’s given. Sometimes I think we just need to cash out and find a GM who values Gudbranson and will offer good assets for his services. Sure, we’d be a softer team without Guddy. But there must be some other options (and cheaper ones) that can fill our need for a handsome, likeable, occasional face-punching, #6 Dman.

Probably also time to cash in Tanev too and get what we can. I suspect we’ve already lost the market with any teams that heavily rely on analytics, but Tanev’s reputation as a first rate defensive Dman should linger a while yet and at least delay some of that value loss. For how long is anyone’s guess. But if current trends continue (and I really hope they don’t), I doubt we get much of anything back for Tanev in a year. At least right now there’s still a chance to recover some decent assets.

Interesting take.  I see the Guddy Pouliot pairing as being brought down by Pouliot.  

My take is that Guddy will be with Hughes for the first few seasons unless they add thru trade or FA.  

Guddy does best with a smaller mobile guy.  Guddy can take care of the rough stuff and stay back while the other guy roams.  

Both Hutton and Pouliot have done well with Stecher.  Guddy would do IMO but they both RHD.  

Pouluot, Hutton and Guddy all have struggled when paired together.  

Stecher has made everyone he plays with look better.  

Guddy offers something that both Hutton and Pouliot don't and the to be honest the rest of the roster lacks.  

Between Hutton and Pouliot, they both look good playing with Stecher, but struggle playing anywhere else on the roster.  

I would much rather see one of Pouliot or Hutton walk and Guddy stick around.  Hughes will need protection and Guddy needs a puckmover.  

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

17 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Interesting take.  I see the Guddy Pouliot pairing as being brought down by Pouliot.  

My take is that Guddy will be with Hughes for the first few seasons unless they add thru trade or FA.  

Guddy does best with a smaller mobile guy.  Guddy can take care of the rough stuff and stay back while the other guy roams.  

Don't see Hughes as a fit at all with Guddy. He needs a solid two way guy (Edler here, Campbell in FLA) to partner with.

That's not Hughes.

Of our kids, that's most likely Brisebois or Juolevi.

Hughes would fit far better IMO with Tanev, Hutton (Hughes on right) or Stecher. The latter would likely be awesome possession monsters together but would obviously be a small pairing and we'd have to be very careful about them getting caught out against bigger opposition. Particularly on the road/icings when they have last change.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't see Hughes as a fit at all with Guddy. He needs a solid two way guy (Edler here, Campbell in FLA) to partner with.

That's not Hughes.

Hughes would fit far better IMO with Tanev, Hutton (Hughes on right) or Stecher. The latter would likely be awesome possession monsters together but would obviously be a small pairing and we'd have to be very careful about them getting caught out against bigger opposition. Particularly on the road/icings when they have last change.

I have a feeling he may start with Guddy, but I do agree that he should start with either Tanev or Stecher. 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Both Hutton and Pouliot have done well with Stecher.  Guddy would do IMO but they both RHD.  

Pouluot, Hutton and Guddy all have struggled when paired together.  

Stecher has made everyone he plays with look better.  

Guddy offers something that both Hutton and Pouliot don't and the to be honest the rest of the roster lacks.  

Between Hutton and Pouliot, they both look good playing with Stecher, but struggle playing anywhere else on the roster.  

I would much rather see one of Pouliot or Hutton walk and Guddy stick around.  Hughes will need protection and Guddy needs a puckmover.  

Pouliot doesn't even look good playing with Stetcher.  Most nights Gudbranson's safest play is icing - though his last game, against Calgary, at least wasn't a disaster.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Pouliot doesn't even look good playing with Stetcher.  Most nights Gudbranson's safest play is icing - though his last game, against Calgary, at least wasn't a disaster.

I dont think Guddy is as bad as you do. 

I liked the Edler Guddy pairing when it was used last year.  IMO Guddy has been tasked with carrying whichever player on the left side is currently sucking.  Last year he had Hutton alot, this year is Pouliot.  IMO the problem isnt Guddy, it's the lack of current usable NHL depth on defence.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's not Hughes.

IMO unless the club goes after a FA or makes a significant trade, Hughes will be paired with Guddy.  

Hughes needs a stay at home guy 5 v 5 IMO.  His speed, puck moving ability and ability to recover and get back when he gets caught make him a very good partner for Guddy.  

Guddy is the physical threat against any cheap stuff, he can clear the net and he is mobile.  A Hughes Guddy pairing would be very similar to a Campbell Guddy pairing IMO.  

Tanev cannot protect Hughes, Hughes will get run as he will embarrass pro hockey vets left right and center.  We have seen from a few incidents what EP40 has dealt with.  No reason to see anything different with Hughes.  

Stecher and Hughes have the most similarities but also share the same weaknesses, plus Stecher makes Hutton and Edler better so they need him, Hughes doesn't.  

That leaves Guddy.  He has strengths in areas Hughes lacks an Hughes has strengths where Guddy has weaknesses.  Making the Guddy pairing into a strong pairing IMO is a great addition to the club.  It would take pressure off of our Vets in Edler and Tanev.  This may not last for very long, but it makes alot of sense, especially since Hughes will likely be on the team this season, they will pair him with a vet and Guddy is the most likely for a whole host of reasons.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

IMO unless the club goes after a FA or makes a significant trade, Hughes will be paired with Guddy.  

Hughes needs a stay at home guy 5 v 5 IMO.  His speed, puck moving ability and ability to recover and get back when he gets caught make him a very good partner for Guddy.  

Guddy is the physical threat against any cheap stuff, he can clear the net and he is mobile.  A Hughes Guddy pairing would be very similar to a Campbell Guddy pairing IMO.  

Tanev cannot protect Hughes, Hughes will get run as he will embarrass pro hockey vets left right and center.  We have seen from a few incidents what EP40 has dealt with.  No reason to see anything different with Hughes.  

Stecher and Hughes have the most similarities but also share the same weaknesses, plus Stecher makes Hutton and Edler better so they need him, Hughes doesn't.  

That leaves Guddy.  He has strengths in areas Hughes lacks an Hughes has strengths where Guddy has weaknesses.  Making the Guddy pairing into a strong pairing IMO is a great addition to the club.  It would take pressure off of our Vets in Edler and Tanev.  This may not last for very long, but it makes alot of sense, especially since Hughes will likely be on the team this season, they will pair him with a vet and Guddy is the most likely for a whole host of reasons.  

Solid post. I sound like a broken record but Van fans are forgetting what CUP play is all about. Even on Sat night the Flamers were coming to the net and Gudbranson had to step in. If some fans had their way and Guddy was moved they would be looking for that big d-man who could do exactly what Guddy does now. Edler is the only other d-man who can establish a physical response. Rarely does Edler actually get as confrontational as Guddy. Both can be very effective. Hutton has actually become more effective physically.

Physicality is not all about fighting. It is about finishing checks, moving players infront of the net and deterence. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sorry, just don't see it. I think it would be a mess.

40 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Solid post. I sound like a broken record but Van fans are forgetting what CUP play is all about. Even on Sat night the Flamers were coming to the net and Gudbranson had to step in. If some fans had their way and Guddy was moved they would be looking for that big d-man who could do exactly what Guddy does now. Edler is the only other d-man who can establish a physical response. Rarely does Edler actually get as confrontational as Guddy. Both can be very effective. Hutton has actually become more effective physically.

Physicality is not all about fighting. It is about finishing checks, moving players infront of the net and deterence. 

FWIW, I've been one of Guddy's biggest defenders on CDC. He brings a much needed element to the team IMO. But IMO I think that would be a horrible pairing.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, just don't see it. I think it would be a mess.

FWIW, I've been one of Guddy's biggest defenders on CDC. He brings a much needed element to the team IMO. But IMO I think that would be a horrible pairing.

We can all have our opinions and that's fine.  

Hughes should supplant Pouliot on the roster and he will play with one RHD, so we have three choices.  

I disagree with your take and time will tell.  

• 3 weeks later...

Lately, with the Canucks injuries to Edler and Tanev, and with Del Zotto and Gudbranson being traded, some of the D prospects have been given an opportunity to play with the big club.

Sautner

Brisebois (x2)

Biega

Schenn

Why aren't they bringing up McEneny? The guy is now 5th in Comets scoring this year. 8-21-29 in 54 games (Top Dman). The Canucks commented they might also bring up Chatfield, but he's at the bottom of Comets point-getters (2 assists in 24 games)

Is there a reason why McEneny isn't being brought up? Is he injured?

Edited by NUCKER67

On 2/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, Phat Fingers said:

We can all have our opinions and that's fine.  

Hughes should supplant Pouliot on the roster and he will play with one RHD, so we have three choices.  

I disagree with your take and time will tell.  

I don't think you can make that call on Hughes just yet.  Obviously he'll get every chance this year, but I don't think his spot is as sure in Sept as most think.  He's not great defensively, and he turns the puck over, a lot.

That said, I was wrong about Petey, but a fwds mistakes are much more easily covered than a dmans.  Nonetheless, I'm pumped to see him.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think you can make that call on Hughes just yet.  Obviously he'll get every chance this year, but I don't think his spot is as sure in Sept as most think.  He's not great defensively, and he turns the puck over, a lot.

That said, I was wrong about Petey, but a fwds mistakes are much more easily covered than a dmans.  Nonetheless, I'm pumped to see him.

True.  Hughes could struggle to adjust and Green could struggle adjusting too.  I dont see it.  Hughes is a rink rat, his skating is just dynamic and our team has no one providing much if any puck movement from the back end.  Stecher is a the closest player to Hughes in terms of this and it isnt going to be close.  

I am excited to see what he can do in the NHL.  My biggest concern for him is stamina.  Most college players aren't prepared for the NHL grind.  

Is Green ready for a rover?  Can Hughes recover from losing the puck on  rush at the NHL level?  Is he going to be forced to simplify his game.  Hard to say.  

He is like having Bure as a d man.  He will give the coach fits, but can Green let that ride if the results are positive, mostly.  

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

True.  Hughes could struggle to adjust and Green could struggle adjusting too.  I dont see it.  Hughes is a rink rat, his skating is just dynamic and our team has no one providing much if any puck movement from the back end.  Stecher is a the closest player to Hughes in terms of this and it isnt going to be close.  

I am excited to see what he can do in the NHL.  My biggest concern for him is stamina.  Most college players aren't prepared for the NHL grind.  

Is Green ready for a rover?  Can Hughes recover from losing the puck on  rush at the NHL level?  Is he going to be forced to simplify his game.  Hard to say.  

He is like having Bure as a d man.  He will give the coach fits, but can Green let that ride if the results are positive, mostly.  

agreed on all counts.  He will, once he's comfy and confident in the league, change the entire style of the team,maybe more than Petey even.  He's a very unique player.