206 replies to this topic

#1 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

So the Canucks signed McEneny today as an undrafted free agent. Looks like he had 2 points in as many games last season before a knee injury took him out. Seems to be a Boom/Bust potential guy and I, for one, am very content with this signing!

Posted Image

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed defenceman Evan McEneny. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6’2”, 205 lbs. Hamilton, ON, native registered two assists, four penalty minutes and a plus-three rating in two games with the OHL Kitchener Rangers in 2011.12 before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.

Actual Hockey News: Canucks Sign Evan McEneny

Posted Image by Yankee Canuck on Sep 13, 2012 11:00 AM PDT in Prospects
are rushing towards getting pieces in place before Saturday. MG mentioned the big fish yesterday, but today brings news for the farm. Via TSN:

The Vancouver Canucks have signed Kitchener Rangers defenceman Evan McEneny to an entry-level deal.
In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The 6'2", 205 lbs. Hamilton, ON, native registered two assists, four penalty minutes and a plus-three rating in two games with the OHL Kitchener Rangers in 2011-12 before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.

McEneny was one of the prospects invited to the prospects camp in June. Here's a good scouting report on McEneny from February which, in part, mentions:

McEneny already has good size and bulk on his frame. He’s a naturally gifted offensive defenseman. He can make a very good first pass or skate out of danger and very adept at joining the rush. He has a good hockey IQ and plays both sides of the puck. He effectively uses his size in the physical department.

Should McEneny get drafted in June he’ll be a project and NHL teams will depend heavily on medical information on how he is recovering from his surgery. A team that has depth in prospects on the blue line however may be willing to take the chance. If I were running the draft for an NHL team with such depth, that’s certainly how I’d feel. A definite high risk – high reward type player.

Here's another profile that goes more in-depth on where he was in January when dealing with an ACL injury.
A high-risk / high-reward option offensive D man sounds like a decent signing to me, especially considering some OHL blogs mentioned nabbing him could be a steal. Clearly they liked what they saw of him in June.
Swing by his twitter account and say hello.

Edited by Hansen 36, 13 September 2012 - 09:28 PM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,347 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Im happy with the signing.

zackass.png

#3 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

You can never go wrong with a PPG d-man.
:)

Edited by JimLahey, 13 September 2012 - 09:43 PM.

Posted Image

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm not sure there's too much to discuss that hasn't already been said in the signing thread. There are no youtube videos of him or anything since he barely played last year, and the local bloggers have picked up any reviews of his abilities already.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

I'm not sure there's too much to discuss that hasn't already been said in the signing thread. There are no youtube videos of him or anything since he barely played last year, and the local bloggers have picked up any reviews of his abilities already.

I know that, just getting this started, hopefully one day it will be as long as some of our other Prospect Talk threads as McEneny develops further and gives us more to discuss.

Blue Team

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

Found it funny that looking through his stats he hasn't scored a goal since before the 09/10 season.
His 4 points in 44 games 2 seasons ago shines a bit more light on his skill, but obviously a lot can change over the course of 2 years.
Probably be a depth D man or Wolves player down the line.
Posted Image

#7 Prison Bull

Prison Bull

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

Happy with the 'free' draft pick. Too bad about the name. Mick-EN-EN-Knee or is it Mick-EE-Ne-Knee or is it Mick-eh-KNEE-KNEE?

#8 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

You can never go wrong with a PPG d-man.
:)

Don't get too excited. That was based on two games. He has yet to score a goal in Major Junior hockey.
Posted Image

#9 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Don't get too excited. That was based on two games. He has yet to score a goal in Major Junior hockey.

i think he was making a joke ;)
Posted Image

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

i think he was making a joke ;)

Maybe :blink:
Posted Image

#11 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'm really interested on what he will be, looks like has good skill as a 17 year old.
Posted Image

#12 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Edler Garrison
Connauton Tanev
McEneny LaBate

Wouldn't it be cool if all these unheralded picks/signing developed to solidify our D.

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Edler Garrison
Connauton Tanev
McEneny LaBate

Wouldn't it be cool if all these unheralded picks/signing developed to solidify our D.

LaBate is a center. Did you mean McNally?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Very excited to see what he can do now that he's healthy!

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#15 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Happy with the 'free' draft pick. Too bad about the name. Mick-EN-EN-Knee or is it Mick-EE-Ne-Knee or is it Mick-eh-KNEE-KNEE?

Just reading that makes my head hurt, haha.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#16 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

And btw, good luck to 'McEnemy' this year!

#17 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have been searching and searching... and I honestly cannot see why they were able to sign him... as he would've been eligible for the draft..............
Posted Image

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have been searching and searching... and I honestly cannot see why they were able to sign him... as he would've been eligible for the draft..............

This was posted in the "signing" thread:

Found this explanation on the HF Boards as to why the Canucks were able to sign an 18 year old.

This is my understanding of the matter. North American juniors are draft eligible for 3 years, after which time they can be signed to an ELC any time throughout the season (ie, Archibald).

However, junior players can be signed after their first (or second) draft if they go undrafted by every team and are invited to a team's training camp (ie, Vancouver). This team will have a limited time period to sign the player: up until around the middle of September I believe (ie, now).

So a team could sign as many kids as they had contract slots for, after the kids' first (18-year-old) drafts. But, it must be done before their next junior seasons start.

I guess it doesn't happen to often because teams don't find it worth it? If the player was worth it, chances are they would have been drafted. That being said, looks like a low-risk, high-reward situation. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd been confused as well thinking he'd have to go through at least one more draft, but this seems plausible.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

This was posted in the "signing" thread:

I'd been confused as well thinking he'd have to go through at least one more draft, but this seems plausible.

That makes sense - as a similar thing happened with Kellan Tochkin, and he is just NOW turning pro.
Posted Image

#20 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

we invited him to camp, and then signed him. this is valid for any player who went through the draft at least once and remained undrafted. it rarely happens, because teams rarely "waste" a contract on a undrafted 18 year old, but this was clearly a special circumstance since the player in question sat out pretty much the full year due to injury.

worst case scenario? he doesn't pan out and is propped after his contract expires.

#21 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Nucks are trusting their OHL scouts big time on this one, and as of late they've had a pretty decent record, compared to the WHL or even the Q...

#22 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

we invited him to camp, and then signed him. this is valid for any player who went through the draft at least once and remained undrafted. it rarely happens, because teams rarely "waste" a contract on a undrafted 18 year old, but this was clearly a special circumstance since the player in question sat out pretty much the full year due to injury.

worst case scenario? he doesn't pan out and is propped after his contract expires.

I guess my confusion was that I have never seen the 'official' rule for it --- but Tochkin and McEneny are examples of it being allowed.
Posted Image

#23 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

I guess my confusion was that I have never seen the 'official' rule for it --- but Tochkin and McEneny are examples of it being allowed.

yeah, i think the complete rarity of it ever happening is why a lot of people got confused by it.

#24 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

yeah, i think the complete rarity of it ever happening is why a lot of people got confused by it.

I honestly cannot think of any other examples from around the league.

But Gillis usually a little 'different' in his way.

I think with McEneny - he is taking the low risk-high reward dice-roll here.

McEneny could very well develop into a serviceable prospect, and the Canucks didn't want to take the chance and have him go in the draft.

Since he is still 18, they will essentially get 5 years (due to 2 years of sliding) to make a full assesment
Posted Image

#25 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I honestly cannot think of any other examples from around the league.

But Gillis usually a little 'different' in his way.

I think with McEneny - he is taking the low risk-high reward dice-roll here.

McEneny could very well develop into a serviceable prospect, and the Canucks didn't want to take the chance and have him go in the draft.

Since he is still 18, they will essentially get 5 years (due to 2 years of sliding) to make a full assesment

That's pretty much it. Not having to use a draft pick to get him could be a huge steal rather than waiting until the 2013 draft and he has a great year in junior making us use a higher draft pick on him.

I think with a number of the overagers Gillis took this year he is looking to explore ways around getting them without using the draft picks more.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Nucks are trusting their OHL scouts big time on this one, and as of late they've had a pretty decent record, compared to the WHL or even the Q...

We have scouts in the WHL ?!

... News to me - seeing as we never draft out out of our backyard and let all the good WHLers go to other teams :S

Joking aside (obviously I know we have WHL scouts haha), I would like to see us pick up some WHL talent ...

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#27 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

... News to me - seeing as we never draft out out of our backyard and let all the good WHLers go to other teams :S

Joking aside (obviously I know we have WHL scouts haha), I would like to see us pick up some WHL talent ...

We learned our lesson taking grabner over giroux lol

#28 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I think part of the issue - is there have been players that the Canucks want in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd that fall to them (Schroeder, Gaunce, Rodin, Jensen and Mallet) --- so they haven't been able to take WHL players then.

Then with the later picks - the Canucks have followed three mentalities -

Draft older: Grenier, Hutton, Myron
Draft Euro: Tommernes, Blomstrand, Westerholm
Draft NCAA: Connauton, Lebate, Mcnally, Cannata.

Then there is the usual - taking a flyer on players that may have 'slipped' in development-- Anthony, Friesen and Polasek

This is done for multiple reasons - Older is because, you are closer to knowing what you are getting. Euro allows them to play against men, and can get a read; and finally NCAA, is due to allowing 4 years to sign the player, rather then 2.

(please note - I have excluded Corrado.... because IMO... this is one of the best picks in years)

Edited by Squeak, 18 September 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

^ Yep, sums it up pretty nicely. But it just seems that we would ignore the WHL because of Delorme, although we don't have any recent picks to judge him by. Perhaps with MG's new criteria he actually trusts him, but there have just been other fallers we've liked better. As for Severson though - we'll have to see if they really just liked Mallet that much more, or if they actually aren't going with talent from the Dub. He was still available when we picked Mallet.

#30 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

McEneny also with an assist on the PP, +1, and 2 PIM's in his opener for the season.

Seems like a bunch of PPG prospects we've got in the CHL :P

Blue Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.