The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

we invited him to camp, and then signed him. this is valid for any player who went through the draft at least once and remained undrafted. it rarely happens, because teams rarely "waste" a contract on a undrafted 18 year old, but this was clearly a special circumstance since the player in question sat out pretty much the full year due to injury.

worst case scenario? he doesn't pan out and is propped after his contract expires.

I guess my confusion was that I have never seen the 'official' rule for it --- but Tochkin and McEneny are examples of it being allowed.

yeah, i think the complete rarity of it ever happening is why a lot of people got confused by it.

I honestly cannot think of any other examples from around the league.

But Gillis usually a little 'different' in his way.

I think with McEneny - he is taking the low risk-high reward dice-roll here.

McEneny could very well develop into a serviceable prospect, and the Canucks didn't want to take the chance and have him go in the draft.

Since he is still 18, they will essentially get 5 years (due to 2 years of sliding) to make a full assesment

I honestly cannot think of any other examples from around the league.

But Gillis usually a little 'different' in his way.

I think with McEneny - he is taking the low risk-high reward dice-roll here.

McEneny could very well develop into a serviceable prospect, and the Canucks didn't want to take the chance and have him go in the draft.

Since he is still 18, they will essentially get 5 years (due to 2 years of sliding) to make a full assesment

That's pretty much it. Not having to use a draft pick to get him could be a huge steal rather than waiting until the 2013 draft and he has a great year in junior making us use a higher draft pick on him.

I think with a number of the overagers Gillis took this year he is looking to explore ways around getting them without using the draft picks more.

Nucks are trusting their OHL scouts big time on this one, and as of late they've had a pretty decent record, compared to the WHL or even the Q...

We have scouts in the WHL ?!

... News to me - seeing as we never draft out out of our backyard and let all the good WHLers go to other teams :S

Joking aside (obviously I know we have WHL scouts haha), I would like to see us pick up some WHL talent ...

• Upvote 1

... News to me - seeing as we never draft out out of our backyard and let all the good WHLers go to other teams :S

Joking aside (obviously I know we have WHL scouts haha), I would like to see us pick up some WHL talent ...

We learned our lesson taking grabner over giroux lol

• Upvote 2

I think part of the issue - is there have been players that the Canucks want in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd that fall to them (Schroeder, Gaunce, Rodin, Jensen and Mallet) --- so they haven't been able to take WHL players then.

Then with the later picks - the Canucks have followed three mentalities -

Draft older: Grenier, Hutton, Myron

Draft Euro: Tommernes, Blomstrand, Westerholm

Draft NCAA: Connauton, Lebate, Mcnally, Cannata.

Then there is the usual - taking a flyer on players that may have 'slipped' in development-- Anthony, Friesen and Polasek

This is done for multiple reasons - Older is because, you are closer to knowing what you are getting. Euro allows them to play against men, and can get a read; and finally NCAA, is due to allowing 4 years to sign the player, rather then 2.

(please note - I have excluded Corrado.... because IMO... this is one of the best picks in years)

Edited by Squeak
  • Upvote 1

^ Yep, sums it up pretty nicely. But it just seems that we would ignore the WHL because of Delorme, although we don't have any recent picks to judge him by. Perhaps with MG's new criteria he actually trusts him, but there have just been other fallers we've liked better. As for Severson though - we'll have to see if they really just liked Mallet that much more, or if they actually aren't going with talent from the Dub. He was still available when we picked Mallet.

Overcoming adversity

Tuesday, 25.09.2012 / 12:00 PM / Features

By Tyson Giuriato

Look up the definition of the word ADVERSITY and you will find something similar to this: Ad-ver-si-ty: a state, condition, or instance of serious or continued difficulty or adverse fortune.

When scrolling through examples of ADVERSITY, one example you will not find in the dictionary is: Evan McEneny faced ADVERSITY just two games into the 2011-12 season suffering a season-ending knee injury. He overcame his ADVERSITY by rehabbing for months, and although he didn’t hear his name called in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, he signed an entry-level contract with the Vancouver Canucks three months later.

Just days after being overlooked in last June’s Entry Draft, Evan McEneny received a call from the Canucks, who invited the 6-foot-2 defenceman to their annual Prospects Development Camp. The camp not only gives Canucks draft picks and prospects a taste of what life is like playing in Vancouver, but it also gives players who didn’t necessarily catch the eye of scouts during the season a chance to showcase their skills in front of Canucks coaches and management.

Going undrafted and attending a Prospects Camp as a free agent wasn’t the way it was supposed to go for McEneny. He was supposed to have a productive season with his Kitchener Rangers squad, help them out on their quest for an Ontario Hockey League Championship, and then hear his name being called in Pittsburgh at the draft.

The year started off great for McEneny – two assists in the first game of the season kind of great. But then, in the very next outing, after taking an innocent looking hit while in a foot race for a loose puck, he felt some pain in his knee. However, like any tough 17-year-old kid playing junior hockey, McEneny slapped some ice on his knee and jumped on the bus ready for the next stop on the road trip, not knowing he had suffered a torn ACL and that his season was over as fast as it had begun.

When he did get the bad news he was devastated, all that hard work gearing up for his draft year was instantly washed down the drain.

Sept2212_mceneny1_rr.jpg

After months of rehab and having to watch his Rangers squad advance all the way to the OHL’s Western Conference Final, McEneny was finally 100 per cent healthy and ready to go. He came to Vancouver for Prospects Development Camp and caught the eye of the Canucks brass in attendance. Mid-September, two and half months after camp, he signed an entry-level contract with the club.

McEneny and his Rangers teammates are now gearing up for what hopes to be a successful season in Kitchener. He will be looked upon for leadership on a young blue-line and will be able to focus on developing his game rather than worry about impressing scouts now that he has an NHL contract.

“We expect him to be a leader with our hockey club this season as he know begins his third year here,” said Paul Fixter, the associate coach and assistant general manger with Kitchener.

Although McEneny only recorded four points in his rookie season, he feels he can be a good two way defenseman by adding some offensive punch to his game this season. The Hamilton, Ontario, native looks to another 6-foot-2, undrafted defenceman who plays with the Rangers as an example of how he wants to play the game. Namely, Dan Girardi of the New York Rangers.

Sept2212_mceneny3_rr.jpg

“Evan is a skilled puck moving defenceman who is poised with the puck and makes great decisions,” said Fixter. “He passes well, has a good shot and is responsible in the defensive zone.

“He works hard at improving his game, has a good work ethic and is a good teammate.”

Even when away from the rink, McEneny involves himself with the team, hanging out with ‘The Boys’ as much as possible, whether it’s playing a little ping pong or firing up the Xbox to play hockey.

“Everything I do involves hockey in some sort of way,” said McEneny. “In the summer all I do is train for the next season.”

That season is just around the corner, hopefully without any adversity.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=642094

McEneny did not dress for the last game that Kitchener played ...

Any particular reason why? Personal reasons, injury or a healthy scratch?

Minor injury it sounds like:

Defenceman Evan McEneny is also sidelined with a lower body injury. It is not considered serious. The team is sitting him for precautionary reasons tonight.

@TysonGiuriato #Canucks prospect @Evan_McEneny is not playing tonight with "lower body" injury, not considered serious. DMan has 2A in 3GP for @OHLRangers

• 2 weeks later...