The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

50 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They really need to trade someone... Tanev, Hutton, Edler...doesn't really matter but somebody's on the outs IMO.

Agreed.......gotta be Tanev.  The highest value argument aside, if McEneny sticks and plays like he did in Utica, Tanev is a bit redundant on that d Corp.  Mac plays a lot like Tanev.......smart positionally, not flashy but does everything well.  What Mac brings that Tanev doesn't is size and a bit more offensive potential.  He might not develop to be as good as Tanev, but I think his potential is to be better, if he can reach his ceiling.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed.......gotta be Tanev.  The highest value argument aside, if McEneny sticks and plays like he did in Utica, Tanev is a bit redundant on that d Corp.  Mac plays a lot like Tanev.......smart positionally, not flashy but does everything well.  What Mac brings that Tanev doesn't is size and a bit more offensive potential.  He might not develop to be as good as Tanev, but I think his potential is to be better, if he can reach his ceiling.

Stawns, you have been a McEneny fan way back into last season that I can remember. Would be smiling till X-Mass if he can push his way into the lineup. 

I agree that Tanev should be moved with the core return as draft picks. 2018 Draft should complete the core of the rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Stawns, you have been a McEneny fan way back into last season that I can remember. Would be smiling till X-Mass if he can push his way into the lineup. 

I agree that Tanev should be moved with the core return as draft picks. 2018 Draft should complete the core of the rebuild. 

Truly, I think a year as the top guy in Utica is best for him, but waiver exemption might kibosh that.  IMO, the rules for waivers needs to amended.  Teams shouldn't be able to lose a player so early in his career.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Truly, I think a year as the top guy in Utica is best for him, but waiver exemption might kibosh that.  IMO, the rules for waivers needs to amended.  Teams shouldn't be able to lose a player so early in his career.

I think there should be a player-exercised option to to waive their right to waivers. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think there should be a player-exercised option to to waive their right to waivers. 

That's what I'd like to see as well. Puts more control in the player's hands. I'd expect most guys would still opt for the waiver wire and the chance to play NHL (and earn NHL dollars). But for some, it would be better for their development (and future career) to remain within the system they know. I'd definitely like to see players have that option.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I agree completely.  With the league trending toward developing through the draft, it's not right that teams can lose a guy like Mac at a crucial point in his development.   Where he is, right now, he needs to play big mins in important situations.......he won't get that in Van for at least 3 seasons.

They should have a waiver free window at certain points in a season.....like every 20 games or something.  I like giving players a choice as well, maybe up until their RFA status ends.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree completely.  With the league trending toward developing through the draft, it's not right that teams can lose a guy like Mac at a crucial point in his development.   Where he is, right now, he needs to play big mins in important situations.......he won't get that in Van for at least 3 seasons.

They should have a waiver free window at certain points in a season.....like every 20 games or something.  I like giving players a choice as well, maybe up until their RFA status ends.

Players on one way contracts would be more willing to go to the minors to work on their craft. I think it is highly unlikely that players on two way contracts would waive their rights to waivers as they would be giving up $600K or so in salary per year doing that. That wouldn't be a difficult decision for any player IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Maybe for players in the 1st year of waiver eligibility they are waiver exempt up to the 1st Monday in January of that season or they can be moved to the AHL once or twice in the season  without waivers but from the 3rd time they need waivers.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I can't imagine a single player would exercise that option. In the case of McEneny he would be willingly turning down $657K and flying first class to play for $70K and riding the bus.  Yes he would be playing every game in the AHL rather than eating popcorn a lot from the press box in the NHL but $500K buys a lot of popcorn.

Besides there is nothing stopping Vancouver from signing him to a one way contract as somewhat of a deterrent to being claimed if they really wanted to.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I can't imagine a single player would exercise that option. In the case of McEneny he would be willingly turning down $657K and flying first class to play for $70K and riding the bus.  Yes he would be playing every game in the AHL rather than eating popcorn a lot from the press box in the NHL but $500K buys a lot of popcorn.

Besides there is nothing stopping Vancouver from signing him to a one way contract as somewhat of a deterrent to being claimed if they really wanted to.

Depends on what they feel is better for their long term development/career/earning potential. It's not like they get that $657k all at once. And once you start adding in costs of moving and in some guys cases uprooting young families, moving to a crappier team/organization etc it's not the slam dunk you probably think it is.

Edited by J.R.

11 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I would like to ask Frankie Corrado that question? He ate a lot of popcorn in Lafferville. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would like to ask Frankie Corrado that question? He ate a lot of popcorn in Lafferville. 

I bet he would still take the money.  If it's a two way contract with over $200K in the AHL like slightly older players get it might be a difficult decision but $70K or $657K there is no choice.

I get that teams are going to want to slot their first time RFAs with little to no NHL experience to under $100K so they don't drive the market up but there is nothing preventing them from doing so if they really want to deter a waiver claim on a player they don't want to lose.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully McEneny has a strong camp and makes the decision easy for the Canucks. His history with Green should give him a bit of a leg up (since Travis considered McEneny the best Utica D last year, at least among those on Canucks contracts). But he's going to need to beat out a few guys that are legitimate NHL options for those 7/8 D spots.

That all said, I definitely like his chances of making the team better than his chances of sneaking through waivers.

Agreed on all that. Pretty much what I was going to say. Maybe if we send him down when teams' rosters are still crowded and in flux he'd clear, but I'm not sure I'd risk it once the season starts.

On 7/14/2017 at 8:55 PM, elvis15 said:

Agreed on all that. Pretty much what I was going to say. Maybe if we send him down when teams' rosters are still crowded and in flux he'd clear, but I'm not sure I'd risk it once the season starts.

I wouldn't mind Corradoing McEneny. Maybe not to the same extent, but if he chills in the pressbox and gets into 40 games it could be a win-win. 

• Upvote 2

On 2017-07-13 at 2:35 AM, alfstonker said:

Or maybe Green was not as good as Willie at bringing talent on. Still never mind JB has signed all these NHL calibre UFA's so Green won't have to go through the hell Willie went through. Sounds more like it. We are in for an interesting season ahead.

Well, maybe this season will prove that the talent was always there for Willie to utilize, but failed to come up with an actual plan to do it. We did lose enough regulars to injury during the regular season for that to happen.

I too look forward to this season, not to prove who was right or wrong in theses forums,. But hoping to watch those flashes of brilliance, and behind the bench tactics that grow this team into something special again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Feel like Evan's been putting together a quietly nice preseason.

Anyways, The Canuck Way put out an article about the Top 5 players too risky to expose on Waivers and they listed Evan McEneny as their #1 player who's too risky to place on waivers. I think they make a good argument. Link here: https://thecanuckway.com/2017/09/20/vancouver-canucks-preseason-top-5-players-risky-put-waivers/6/

No. 1 Evan McEneny

He’s not outstanding in any way, but he does everything that is asked of him. He managed to leapfrog Jordan Subban on the Canucks blueline prospects depth and ended the year as the most reliable blueliner in Utica last season.

Evan McEneny is almost ready to be an NHL player and everyone who was in Utica last year knows it.

After time with the ECHL, McEneny has worked so hard to revive his career. Now as a 23-year-old who is signed to a two-year deal at under $700k per, he ideally should spend a full season in Utica as the club’s top defenceman.

I don’t know about you, but if I am the GM of an NHL team looking for blueline depth, I am picking McEneny up from the waivers nine times out of ten.

Because he was signed as an undrafted free agent and played tons of games in the ECHL/AHL level, the 23-year-old would be one of the youngest names available on the waiver at this time of the year.

A team could look at this season as a learning year for McEneny as a cheap seventh defenceman and use him as a very cheap third-pairing guy next season because he is already signed through the 2018-19 season.

I don’t have the answers on what to do with these players. Will some of these players end up on waivers? Most certainly. It could be all of them. For now, it’s up to these players to prove themselves ready for the NHL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Evan as the #7 d-man over Wiebroch, to be honest.

McEneny has been very good in the preseason. He's not flashy so you don't notice him, but he makes extremely smart plays while playing big minutes and being paired with pylons every game. His defensive game is sound and the deft little plays he makes to escape pressure and turn the puck the other way are sorely what the Canucks have been missing. I probably have him ahead of MDZ and Weircoch, but I'm not really fans of either of those players. IMO stetcher should be playing in the spot MDZ is on the PP and with the 4 forward set Green likes I just don't see the point of MDZ.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

McEneny has been very good in the preseason. He's not flashy so you don't notice him, but he makes extremely smart plays while playing big minutes and being paired with pylons every game. His defensive game is sound and the deft little plays he makes to escape pressure and turn the puck the other way are sorely what the Canucks have been missing. I probably have him ahead of MDZ and Weircoch, but I'm not really fans of either of those players. IMO stetcher should be playing in the spot MDZ is on the PP and with the 4 forward set Green likes I just don't see the point of MDZ.

IMO both Del Zotto and Weircioch are almost guaranteed top 7 spots, with both of them signing as free agents. Keep in mind that we haven't seen Weircioch play this year, except for the game this morning, which was after your post. His fitness and skating was excellent on the first day of camp, apparently he really worked on it a lot this summer. Could be a depth signing with size and a lot of motivation to succeed with his hometown team.

That being said, I'm really impressed with McEneny, have been since early last season with Utica. I'm hoping he clears waivers successfully and has a solid two-way year with Utica. I'm looking for the Comets to improve and make a playoff push, and he'll be a big part of that

6 minutes ago, Guile said:

IMO both Del Zotto and Weircioch are almost guaranteed top 7 spots, with both of them signing as free agents. Keep in mind that we haven't seen Weircioch play this year, except for the game this morning, which was after your post. His fitness and skating was excellent on the first day of camp, apparently he really worked on it a lot this summer. Could be a depth signing with size and a lot of motivation to succeed with his hometown team.

That being said, I'm really impressed with McEneny, have been since early last season with Utica. I'm hoping he clears waivers successfully and has a solid two-way year with Utica. I'm looking for the Comets to improve and make a playoff push, and he'll be a big part of that

McEneny will not clear waivers.  He's a young dman with offensive upside, who is not small.