214 replies to this topic

#61 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

No points and a -3 from McEneny tonight. They play again tomorrow against London (should be a good test against a strong team) and I believe their game on Nov 30 is on Sportsnet.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#62 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Watching him play against the Knights today and he looks really big in his own end. He's paired with Murphy and is getting a lot of minutes. It seems no matter what he's using his size out front of the net while Murphy is the one along the board. I'm not sure if that is by design but it's just something I've noticed so far.

He's on the top PP and top PK line. Obviously Murphy runs things for the most part on the PP and that kind of limits his involvement because they keep things on the right side.

I'm no scout, obviously, but I like what I see in his game. Big steadying influence who looks calm no matter where he is.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#63 nzan

nzan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Watching him play against the Knights today and he looks really big in his own end. He's paired with Murphy and is getting a lot of minutes. It seems no matter what he's using his size out front of the net while Murphy is the one along the board. I'm not sure if that is by design but it's just something I've noticed so far.

He's on the top PP and top PK line. Obviously Murphy runs things for the most part on the PP and that kind of limits his involvement because they keep things on the right side.

I'm no scout, obviously, but I like what I see in his game. Big steadying influence who looks calm no matter where he is.

I was at the game. He was on the ice a lot but just seemed unnoticeable. I know thats high praise for a defensive defenceman, but I didn't find him very impressive.

#64 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

We'll have to see how he does in the Friday game on Sportsnet.

#65 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Probably because McEneny is 6'2" 202lbs and Murphy's only 5'11" 176lbs. I think McEneny is capable of working along the boards as well, but stays in front of the net because Murphy is unable to clear the crease.

And offense on the PP would run through Murphy since that's what he's known for.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#66 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

McEneny is playing on s-pac right now.
He scored 1 goal and looks really smooth on the PP, really like this low key signing.

Subbancopy.jpg

#67 Deirmoc

Deirmoc

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

#Canucks RT @BrownRecord: Kitchener Rangers defenceman Evan McEneny (VAN) not hurt, sent to dressing room for third as a msg from coach.

Not sure why yet. Will tweet Giuriato and ask.

Edited by Deirmoc, 01 December 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#68 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hmm, Interesting. Wonder what happened, according to playboi19 it seemed like McEneny was having a good game.

#69 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hmm, Interesting. Wonder what happened, according to playboi19 it seemed like McEneny was having a good game.

I only watched last game, he played all 3 periods and OT.
The tweet is referring to tonights game, but he still picked up an assist in 2 periods.

Subbancopy.jpg

#70 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I only watched last game, he played all 3 periods and OT.
The tweet is referring to tonights game, but he still picked up an assist in 2 periods.

So a goal and an assist in 2 games and he gets sent to the room. Not just benched but sent to the room. Must be something serious otherwise the coach would just have benched him for the last period.

#71 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

From what I'm hearing, It's because he's logging on too much ice time and not changing shifts even when he's tired.

#72 Deirmoc

Deirmoc

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

From what I'm hearing, It's because he's logging on too much ice time and not changing shifts even when he's tired.

Is that just what you're getting off of HF?

#73 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Yeah I watch the game on SN the other night.

He looked really good, used his size well against the boards, battled hard down low, didn't let guys break free. Made good passes, had some good moments jumping up in the play, looked good on the powerplay.

the only negative I saw was that he got caught standing still a couple of times and guys went past him, overall skating isn't an big issue for him, but he doesn't have quick footspeed IMO.

zackass.png

#74 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Pbbly has something to do with lack of defensive play or like Rey said taking extended shifts.

I think Rey could be on to something. This is something I could see a coach getting angry about. Lack of defensive awareness would pbbly just get him benched.

#75 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Does he play on the 2nd PP unit btw?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#76 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think 1st unit on the other point of Ryan Murphy.

#77 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I think 1st unit on the other point of Ryan Murphy.

I see, thanks. I was wondering if he was getting his points from playing alongside Murphy or not.

#78 Deirmoc

Deirmoc

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Got a reply: Seems like a pretty harsh way to send a message.

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

@Deirmoc He made a bad play that led to a goal and his coach, Steve Spott wanted to send a message to the team to wake up.

#79 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

^ Seems like there's been a lot of harsh message-sending for our prospects lately. :bigblush: :sadno:

#80 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Pbbly has something to do with lack of defensive play or like Rey said taking extended shifts.

I think Rey could be on to something. This is something I could see a coach getting angry about. Lack of defensive awareness would pbbly just get him benched.

I don't think he has a lack of defensive awarness, he actually seemed really solid defensively.

I hope Rey is wrong because that's not really something you want to see in your young players but perhaps he is onto something.

zackass.png

#81 gnarbot

gnarbot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I don't think he has a lack of defensive awarness, he actually seemed really solid defensively.

I hope Rey is wrong because that's not really something you want to see in your young players but perhaps he is onto something.

I don't really have a problem with him making bad plays. He's young and still has lots to learn and the coach was right to send a message. Now what we do want to see from our prospects is how they respond to these kind of messages

#82 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Well, it is an issue if he's taking 60+sec shifts. I didn't time him at all when watching the game on Friday but I did notice once where he was out on the ice for awhile. If it is just about a bad play defensively, it's a pretty tough message to send a guy with some offensive ability to the locker room for the last period when your team is having a really tough time scoring goals.

Edited by elvis15, 03 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#83 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

from what I've gathered Rey was talking out his anus (or based on a REALLY bad source), and it was sending a message for a bad defensive play (something that has been plaguing the entire team for a long time, it just happens that Evan was the one who made the last one before the coach wanted to send a message. it was going to happen to the next player that made an error leading to a goal against, just bad luck that evan made it)

Edited by avelanch, 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#84 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

2 assists and an even rating in tonights 4-3 shootout win over peterborough. cool to see him produce without murphy. I've been kinda concerned he has been playing in ryan's shadow and benefitting from his offensive skills. Looks like he can generate some offense on his own as well.

#85 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

I was at the game last night. I didn't notice him too much but I wasn't watching for him specifically. He and Max Iafrate made a bad play that led to a short handed goal for the Pete's. The rangers have wicked goaltending that makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes so I'm not entirely sure how to judge their D. They did give up 48 shots to one of the worst teams in the league.

#86 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I was at the game last night. I didn't notice him too much but I wasn't watching for him specifically. He and Max Iafrate made a bad play that led to a short handed goal for the Pete's. The rangers have wicked goaltending that makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes so I'm not entirely sure how to judge their D. They did give up 48 shots to one of the worst teams in the league.

They can't be just pinned on the defense though.

It's kinda hard to expect a ton from this team when their top players (& their coach for that matter) are all away at the WJ's (Gibson, Faksa, Murphy)

It is nice to hear your opinion though since you live in an area that makes the games excess-able for you, unlike with alot of us.

zackass.png

#87 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

They can't be just pinned on the defense though.

It's kinda hard to expect a ton from this team when their top players (& their coach for that matter) are all away at the WJ's (Gibson, Faksa, Murphy)

It is nice to hear your opinion though since you live in an area that makes the games excess-able for you, unlike with alot of us.

Thanks! I do enjoy watching junior hockey. I'll be at the Steelheads-Wolves game tomorrow watching Frankie C.

That's true about the guys away but I think McEneny is getting more opportunity when Murphy is away. And Murphy is not having a good season. The Rangers really are a letdown this year. If they didn't have two of the best goalies in the CHL I'd be very curious to see where they would be.

I will say that they don't lose much when Gibson is away. I think that's my third Rangers game this year and I've seen Frankie Pallazzese all three and he is spectacular. Has even better numbers than Gibson.

#88 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks! I do enjoy watching junior hockey. I'll be at the Steelheads-Wolves game tomorrow watching Frankie C.

That's true about the guys away but I think McEneny is getting more opportunity when Murphy is away. And Murphy is not having a good season. The Rangers really are a letdown this year. If they didn't have two of the best goalies in the CHL I'd be very curious to see where they would be.

I will say that they don't lose much when Gibson is away. I think that's my third Rangers game this year and I've seen Frankie Pallazzese all three and he is spectacular. Has even better numbers than Gibson.

Yeah that's the great thing about living in Ontrario in that area, there are so many CHL cities you can go watch, here we only have the Giants since the Bruins moved long ago, and I'm sure no one wants to go to Victoria and back for one hockey game.

That's not good that there goaltending has kinda carried them, they have a good team I would expect them to contend for the OHL title and possibly the mem cup myself.

I do agree Pallazee has been good, saw him in the Rangers game on Sportsnet and he looked great. How has Matt Puempel looked so far this season? Has he been a good pick-up?

zackass.png

#89 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Now that it's sunk in for me that Spott has been McEneny's coach all along, I only hope his poor coaching doesn't hurt his development.

#90 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Now that it's sunk in for me that Spott has been McEneny's coach all along, I only hope his poor coaching doesn't hurt his development.

Spott's alright with offensive talent - see Jeff Skinner and Gabriel Landeskog (also Faksa and Puempel). But defense is definitely suspect. I don't know any big-time defenseman that comes out of Kitchener...

If someone does lemme know LOL

Edited by Dasein, 06 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.