The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

I don't think he has a lack of defensive awarness, he actually seemed really solid defensively.

I hope Rey is wrong because that's not really something you want to see in your young players but perhaps he is onto something.

I don't really have a problem with him making bad plays. He's young and still has lots to learn and the coach was right to send a message. Now what we do want to see from our prospects is how they respond to these kind of messages

Well, it is an issue if he's taking 60+sec shifts. I didn't time him at all when watching the game on Friday but I did notice once where he was out on the ice for awhile. If it is just about a bad play defensively, it's a pretty tough message to send a guy with some offensive ability to the locker room for the last period when your team is having a really tough time scoring goals.

Edited by elvis15

from what I've gathered Rey was talking out his anus (or based on a REALLY bad source), and it was sending a message for a bad defensive play (something that has been plaguing the entire team for a long time, it just happens that Evan was the one who made the last one before the coach wanted to send a message. it was going to happen to the next player that made an error leading to a goal against, just bad luck that evan made it)

Edited by avelanch

• 1 month later...

2 assists and an even rating in tonights 4-3 shootout win over peterborough. cool to see him produce without murphy. I've been kinda concerned he has been playing in ryan's shadow and benefitting from his offensive skills. Looks like he can generate some offense on his own as well.

I was at the game last night. I didn't notice him too much but I wasn't watching for him specifically. He and Max Iafrate made a bad play that led to a short handed goal for the Pete's. The rangers have wicked goaltending that makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes so I'm not entirely sure how to judge their D. They did give up 48 shots to one of the worst teams in the league.

I was at the game last night. I didn't notice him too much but I wasn't watching for him specifically. He and Max Iafrate made a bad play that led to a short handed goal for the Pete's. The rangers have wicked goaltending that makes up for a lot of defensive mistakes so I'm not entirely sure how to judge their D. They did give up 48 shots to one of the worst teams in the league.

They can't be just pinned on the defense though.

It's kinda hard to expect a ton from this team when their top players (& their coach for that matter) are all away at the WJ's (Gibson, Faksa, Murphy)

It is nice to hear your opinion though since you live in an area that makes the games excess-able for you, unlike with alot of us.

They can't be just pinned on the defense though.

It's kinda hard to expect a ton from this team when their top players (& their coach for that matter) are all away at the WJ's (Gibson, Faksa, Murphy)

It is nice to hear your opinion though since you live in an area that makes the games excess-able for you, unlike with alot of us.

Thanks! I do enjoy watching junior hockey. I'll be at the Steelheads-Wolves game tomorrow watching Frankie C.

That's true about the guys away but I think McEneny is getting more opportunity when Murphy is away. And Murphy is not having a good season. The Rangers really are a letdown this year. If they didn't have two of the best goalies in the CHL I'd be very curious to see where they would be.

I will say that they don't lose much when Gibson is away. I think that's my third Rangers game this year and I've seen Frankie Pallazzese all three and he is spectacular. Has even better numbers than Gibson.

Thanks! I do enjoy watching junior hockey. I'll be at the Steelheads-Wolves game tomorrow watching Frankie C.

That's true about the guys away but I think McEneny is getting more opportunity when Murphy is away. And Murphy is not having a good season. The Rangers really are a letdown this year. If they didn't have two of the best goalies in the CHL I'd be very curious to see where they would be.

I will say that they don't lose much when Gibson is away. I think that's my third Rangers game this year and I've seen Frankie Pallazzese all three and he is spectacular. Has even better numbers than Gibson.

Yeah that's the great thing about living in Ontrario in that area, there are so many CHL cities you can go watch, here we only have the Giants since the Bruins moved long ago, and I'm sure no one wants to go to Victoria and back for one hockey game.

That's not good that there goaltending has kinda carried them, they have a good team I would expect them to contend for the OHL title and possibly the mem cup myself.

I do agree Pallazee has been good, saw him in the Rangers game on Sportsnet and he looked great. How has Matt Puempel looked so far this season? Has he been a good pick-up?

Guest Dasein

Now that it's sunk in for me that Spott has been McEneny's coach all along, I only hope his poor coaching doesn't hurt his development.

Spott's alright with offensive talent - see Jeff Skinner and Gabriel Landeskog (also Faksa and Puempel). But defense is definitely suspect. I don't know any big-time defenseman that comes out of Kitchener...

If someone does lemme know LOL

Edited by Dasein

Spott's alright with offensive talent - see Jeff Skinner and Gabriel Landeskog (also Faksa and Puempel). But defense is definitely suspect. I don't know any big-time defenseman that comes out of Kitchener...

Al MacInnis

Paul Coffey

Scott Stevens

Larry Robinson..

:emot-parrot:

Nobody recently though..

• Upvote 2

Yeah that's the great thing about living in Ontrario in that area, there are so many CHL cities you can go watch, here we only have the Giants since the Bruins moved long ago, and I'm sure no one wants to go to Victoria and back for one hockey game.

That's not good that there goaltending has kinda carried them, they have a good team I would expect them to contend for the OHL title and possibly the mem cup myself.

I do agree Pallazee has been good, saw him in the Rangers game on Sportsnet and he looked great. How has Matt Puempel looked so far this season? Has he been a good pick-up?

That's true. It's awesome here for watching hockey. We have season tickets through work for a few different teams in the O and can drive to 8 rinks in less than two hours (6 in under an hour). And two AHL rinks in under an hour. Not to mention Detroit is only 3 hours and Buffalo 90 minutes so all kinds of NHL and college hockey available too! It really is hockey paradise in Southern Ontario.

I haven't seen Peumpel since he moved from the Pete's. He's been injured for a long time now. He had a wicked start and now this year is turning out like last year. Someone on Friday was saying he tried to come back but it didn't work out.

That's true. It's awesome here for watching hockey. We have season tickets through work for a few different teams in the O and can drive to 8 rinks in less than two hours (6 in under an hour). And two AHL rinks in under an hour. Not to mention Detroit is only 3 hours and Buffalo 90 minutes so all kinds of NHL and college hockey available too! It really is hockey paradise in Southern Ontario.

I haven't seen Peumpel since he moved from the Pete's. He's been injured for a long time now. He had a wicked start and now this year is turning out like last year. Someone on Friday was saying he tried to come back but it didn't work out.

Yeah that's what I imagine it would be like, and the OHL is easily the best league out of the 3 IMO, that would be a hockey paradise.

I noticed Puempel was doing quite well too, hopefully they can get him back in full flight, he is a huge player for them.

explains his decision taking murphy over frankie.

Al MacInnis

Paul Coffey

Scott Stevens

Larry Robinson..

:emot-parrot:

Nobody recently though..

Damn you beat me to it!

But you guys are right... no one recently. The last true NHL D man was Steve Eminger and his final year there was 2003.

Maybe it only happens once every decade and we will be in luck.