Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

How do the contracts work if the season is wiped out?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

I'm just curious, since Shane Doan is picking Phoenix or Vancouver tomorrow, how would the contract work if this season is wiped out? For an example lets say he signs for 5 million for 4 years, would the contract start whenever the next season started or would it start as of this year?
Sig too big dude.

#2 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

See: 2004-05 NHL lockout

Posted Image

#3 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I don't remember how those contracts worked? did it eat up one year of the salary?
Sig too big dude.

#4 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

It would start this year.

#5 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

POPULAR

I don't remember how those contracts worked? did it eat up one year of the salary?

It would eat up 1 year of salary except any guaranteed payouts (i.e. Signing bonus).

#6 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I believe the contracts stay as signed, but the players don't receive their salary if they don't play.

This mostly hurts the players who just signed huge front-loaded contracts like Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, Luongo, etc.

I think a guy like Kovalchuk could lose like 10 million dollars if the entire season is locked out. Makes me think he will definitely play in the KHL this year for like 10-15 million.

#7 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

I believe the contracts stay as signed, but the players don't receive their salary if they don't play.

This mostly hurts the players who just signed huge front-loaded contracts like Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, Luongo, etc.

I think a guy like Kovalchuk could lose like 10 million dollars if the entire season is locked out. Makes me think he will definitely play in the KHL this year for like 10-15 million.

Parise and Suter would each lose $2M of their $12M salaries this year ($10M was already paid out as a signing bonus)
Kovalchuk would lose all $11M he's due this year
Luongo would lose all $6.7M he's due this year

#8 tybarber

tybarber

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

I did just recently read article about who gets paid, and if the article is correct, players that were injured will still get paid until cleared to play. I.e. Gaborik and Kesler should still get salary up until the point that they are cleared to play by a doctor. However, for everyone else I believe that this would count a year against their contract but they wouldn't get any cash except for guaranteed bonuses.

#9 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

I did just recently read article about who gets paid, and if the article is correct, players that were injured will still get paid until cleared to play. I.e. Gaborik and Kesler should still get salary up until the point that they are cleared to play by a doctor. However, for everyone else I believe that this would count a year against their contract but they wouldn't get any cash except for guaranteed bonuses.

Insurance

#10 ronadian

ronadian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

Capgeek has Kovalchuk @ 6 Million this year.
According to this article, the most he can make in the KHL is 3.9 Mill

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405125

#11 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Atleast NHL players don't spend like guys in the NBA or NFL. I think they are a little more frugal. You don't see them roll in a different vehicle every day of the week.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#12 Garrett-6

Garrett-6

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

NHL players can only make 60% of the money they make on an NHL contract in the KHL

Edited by Garrett-6, 14 September 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Gino Odjick

Gino Odjick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

The players that are wise with their money will be fine. But at least this puts pressure on them to work out a deal! All that cash!

#14 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Capgeek has Kovalchuk @ 6 Million this year.
According to this article, the most he can make in the KHL is 3.9 Mill

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405125

Wow, I think Kovalchuk's agent is a genius. They purposely kept his salary low this year due to the impending lockout. Very smart. I wonder if any other deals are structured like this?

He only got paid 6 million last year, 6 million this year, and then it jumps up to around 11 million for the next 5+ years.

#15 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yes ^

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#16 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Atleast NHL players don't spend like guys in the NBA or NFL. I think they are a little more frugal. You don't see them roll in a different vehicle every day of the week.

On average, NHL players don't make anywhere near what the NBA or NFL players make.

The players that will be hit hardest by the lockout are the lower paid 4th liners. Especially the older guys that will miss a year of hockey and be a year older.

#17 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

On average, NHL players don't make anywhere near what the NBA or NFL players make.

The players that will be hit hardest by the lockout are the lower paid 4th liners. Especially the older guys that will miss a year of hockey and be a year older.

Wrong, while the NBA average salary is much higher than the NHL(highest in NA pro sports at over 5m), believe it or not the NFL average salary is actually less than the NHL's.

#18 SeaVanCanGal

SeaVanCanGal

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I see where the NFL would generate less income for their players, however with more media coverage than hockey players, NFL players have amazing signing bonuses and what not. Of course with the MLB, NBA, and NFL touting their players to "live big", and the NHL teaching their players to spend wisely, (I know this for a fact, my son's hockey club brings in a money and marketing management coach to teach the kids how to save and spend without the risk of losing it all.) the NHL players for the most part are much better off to live life after hockey. At least to the point that when they retire, they are living in comfort and not doing cheesy television commercials because they've spent everything they earned while they were pro.
Yes, Opus would be proud.........He's probably watching the games with Bill the Cat and Steve Dallas, somewhere in Bloom County, he probably has his cup of tea and he is wearing the Canucks third jersey because its "politically correct". After games, the three of them sit around and debate why the needless violence in sports is necessary with Steve Dallas always being the voice of reason on such matters. Bill the Cat is still sitting around licking his a*se and coughing up hairballs, looking forward to drinking milk out of the great silver chalice. Ahh life is good in Bloom County..........Carry on for Vancouver, Opus, carry on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.