The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Burrows re-signs with Canucks - 4 years, $4.5m per, Full NTC

Strombone1

Don't get me wrong - I love Burrows. His work ethic has made him one of my favourite players on the team.

But I still think 4.5 is pretty high for a player who's stats are clearly inflated by playing with the Sedins. I would have been happier for 4 for sure, and I honestly thought that would be around what he'd sign for.

Seeing Doan sign for not even a million more a year makes me wonder what kind of deal we really got. Burrows is rugged and tough, but not particularly strong and not exactly a hard-hitting presence on the ice like Doan would be.

I don't get how some people here think Burrows is overpaid. Do they realize how spoiled we, as Canucks fans are? Please look at some of the contracts around the league and tell me that Burrows is overpaid. If Leino makes $4 million then Burrows could easily make $5 million+ on the open market.

As for "Burrow's states are inflated by the Sedins". I'd first like to point out that the Sedins had their breakout years and became elite players AFTER Burrows joined their line. Before that they were only good first liners. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm sure that you could put Burrows on a line with two skill players (a playmaker and a sniper) and he will get very similar stats because he has the ability to hound down the puck like a dog and is usually successful in giving the puck to the players that do the goal scoring.

As for defensive play, he is our top penalty killer along with Kesler and could be shifted down with Kesler to shut down offensive teams. I think it would be fair to say that putting Burrows with the Sedins puts AV at ease because he knows that Burrows can handle the defensive role if that line is trapped in the defensive zone.

Not to mention his clutch goal scoring.....

If people are questioning this contract, ask yourself a few questions:

Is 4.5 million a year worth keeping the only linemate that has had consistent success with the Sedins and who also helps them be better players and have more room to do their thing?

Is it worth the above guy who is also a key penalty killer with speed to burn and a threat to score short handed to keep other teams honest?

Is it worth the above guy who scores clutch and/or overtime goals?

Yep, that's what I thought.

Burrows is the closest thing this team has to a guy who is playing because he loves the game and he works his ass off for everything he gets. 29 teams would love this type of player even at 4.5 million per season for 4 years.

To commemorate Burrows' signing, here are some words of tribute:

Ode to Alex

(by abdemarco)

Among the trees

In fair B.C.

Stands tall the Douglas Fir;

But taller still,

And a bigger thrill,

Is the player known as "Burr."

They call him names,

Fans of Oilers (or Flames),

And call Fourteen a cur.

But it's plain to see

(At least to me)

That they're just jealous of Burr.

A pest he is,

A chirping whiz.

His accent oft does blur

The things he says,

Les idées françaises,

That spring from our man Burr.

But he can score!

A 'trick -- or more?

That won't always occur,

But with Sedins,

Those set-up machines,

There's always chances for Burr.

So on the Coast,

Let's cheer and boast,

Chant and wave for Monsieur!

The Number One Star -

Alexandre-Ménard --

Well --

Maybe we can leave it at "Burr."

I might be the only one who's not a huge fan of this deal. Yes, Burrows is an important player on the team and yes, he's scored some of the biggest goals in franchise history, but he's getting old just like the rest of this core and this contract really handicaps the Canucks future.

He's 31 right now and this contract will take him to 36 (lose a year with the lockout) when he'll most likely retire or re-sign for a year or two. Now considering he scored 35 goals 2 seasons ago when he was 29, that is most likely his prime. I just don't see Burrows reaching that 30+ goal mark again, especially with the Sedins getting older too.

Worst of all is the thought of him playing when he's 35 and 36 in his final two seasons, most likely on a 3rd or 4th line with a very limited role playing around 15 minutes a game but still taking up a huge cap hit of 4.5M. No one in a bottom-6 role should have a cap hit that high, and it's almost impossible for him to still be producing 25+ goals per season that late in his career, especially with the likes of Jensen and Kassian ready to take his spot. The NTC just handicaps the Canucks even more.

I would have liked a 2 year extension and see how he goes, or a 4 year 3.5M deal.

Archived