The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shane Doan re-signs with Coyotes - 4 years, $5.3m per w/ a $2m bonus

Strombone1

I'm pleased...........it would have been a bad move on our part, for a lot of money. Plus, I still think he used us but I suppose he's entitled to do what serves him best. I think offers should be "time limited" to cut all the shenanigans out.

I know a lot of people thought he would leave Coyotes. I know a lot of people thought he would sign with a team that has a better chance at winning the cup, but to be honest I am quite happy to see him stay. Don't get me wrong I love the guy. I would have been happy for us to get him even for up to $6M. What I love about his signing is that it shows that the game still has genuine classy loyal players. With money being thrown around at players like it the GM's grow it in their backyards it's nice to see a guy stay loyal and remain with the only franchise he has ever been with no matter what the cirumstance - in this case a team that has management issues still and still needing a bit of work to be considered a cup contender. Truly hope he wins the cup one day with the Coyotes....after everything he has given to the franchise it is time for them to reward him with that at the very least.

I agree with you up to the point where you want to see a Cup in Phoenix. Sorry, but at that point, I look at loyalty in a different context, and consider the fact that the implications of Bettman-izing the NHL meant that a team moved from a Canadian market where sellouts were the norm and hockey is a way of life, in favour of the US dollar and broadcast revenue. The loyalty of the existing diehard fanbase meant nada. The era of the diversion build-a-new-uber-million$-arena-blackmail or we move elsewhere was in it's heyday. Respect Doan and his loyalty, but that's where this rose coloured story ends, and I highly doubt the decision to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or move them will be motivated by anything like Doan's own loyalty.

Is your loyalty issue really with Doan? I applaud the discussion; but its highly likely Doan simply wants his family to stay where his kids have grown up?

Why Bettmen has such a fixation with poor U.S. markets, on the other hand, is a legit discussion!

I agree with you up to the point where you want to see a Cup in Phoenix. Sorry, but at that point, I look at loyalty in a different context, and consider the fact that the implications of Bettman-izing the NHL meant that a team moved from a Canadian market where sellouts were the norm and hockey is a way of life, in favour of the US dollar and broadcast revenue. The loyalty of the existing diehard fanbase meant nada. The era of the diversion build-a-new-uber-million$-arena-blackmail or we move elsewhere was in it's heyday. Respect Doan and his loyalty, but that's where this rose coloured story ends, and I highly doubt the decision to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or move them will be motivated by anything like Doan's own loyalty.

no - I think you misunderstood or I was unclear - I have no issue at all with Doan's loyalty - I simply can't applaud that to the point of wishing a Cup for him in Phoenix - because of the discussion you consider legitimate. I don't support Bettman's fixation on desert markets, particularly when he took my Jets from a perfectly Canadian market to that odd-ball location.

Boudrias, I get the Bettman business model - I also get the implications that it empowered US media relative to disempowering the Canadian customer/consumer. Business business, I know - that doesn't change my interests as a Canadian 'consumer' (the result was selling out to glowing pucks for CS!). In addition to looking at the books of those 30 teams, you might also look at the ratings in peripheral non-hockey markets, and ask what kind of advertising revenue NBC is reaping due to NHL presences in sleeper markets like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. The fact they moved Atlanta north might indicate that NBC wasn't terribly concerned, nor did the NHL think that move would jeopardize their relationship - no doubt, the NBC contract is primarily driven by the interests of the monster markets in the US (their coverage seems to exclusively focus on the elite teams does it not?). I'd also be interested, if the math were/could be done, to know if disregarding the gate driven revenue in Canada (albeit squeezed by the weak dollar at the time) was a move that paid off, or if the NHL lost money moving to indifferent markets and playing in front of handfuls of people (and what were the ticket prices?). Perhaps the either/or model - ie media vs gate revenue was unbalanced - as opposed to media and gate driven interests. In the end, the NHL was not only making very risky moves, but they were taking the Canadian market for granted. So when the words loyalty and Phoenix come into play, the response seems natural - how exactly does the NHL reward loyalty?

I understand that Bettman later mitigated the losses by creating equalization that effectively gave life-support to Edmonton and Calgary, and a salary cap, that combined with a resurgent dollar, made the Canadian teams competitive again, but I think that he had taken it too far at that point and had to step back - abandoning all but 3 Canadian markets would have been an asinine decision in the end.

Toronto may have benefitted, but no matter what, they are incapable of being competitive. :lol: They may have seen the exodus as an opportunity to capture more fans outside Onterrible to the market at the center of the world.... (jk - I'm sure the CBC, etc, was fearing the shift as well).

I'll let it all go when their is another franchise in Canada to compensate for the loss of QC. ::D

Boudrias, I get the Bettman business model - I also get the implications that it empowered US media relative to disempowering the Canadian customer/consumer. Business business, I know - that doesn't change my interests as a Canadian 'consumer' (the result was selling out to glowing pucks for CS!). In addition to looking at the books of those 30 teams, you might also look at the ratings in peripheral non-hockey markets, and ask what kind of advertising revenue NBC is reaping due to NHL presences in sleeper markets like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. The fact they moved Atlanta north might indicate that NBC wasn't terribly concerned, nor did the NHL think that move would jeopardize their relationship - no doubt, the NBC contract is primarily driven by the interests of the monster markets in the US (their coverage seems to exclusively focus on the elite teams does it not?). I'd also be interested, if the math were/could be done, to know if disregarding the gate driven revenue in Canada (albeit squeezed by the weak dollar at the time) was a move that paid off, or if the NHL lost money moving to indifferent markets and playing in front of handfuls of people (and what were the ticket prices?). Perhaps the either/or model - ie media vs gate revenue was unbalanced - as opposed to media and gate driven interests. In the end, the NHL was not only making very risky moves, but they were taking the Canadian market for granted. So when the words loyalty and Phoenix come into play, the response seems natural - how exactly does the NHL reward loyalty?

I understand that Bettman later mitigated the losses by creating equalization that effectively gave life-support to Edmonton and Calgary, and a salary cap, that combined with a resurgent dollar, made the Canadian teams competitive again, but I think that he had taken it too far at that point and had to step back - abandoning all but 3 Canadian markets would have been an asinine decision in the end.

Toronto may have benefitted, but no matter what, they are incapable of being competitive. :lol: They may have seen the exodus as an opportunity to capture more fans outside Onterrible to the market at the center of the world.... (jk - I'm sure the CBC, etc, was fearing the shift as well).

I'll let it all go when their is another franchise in Canada to compensate for the loss of QC. ::D

Way to cherry pick one sentence and not use my whole post.

I said he is well within his rights to sign wherever, but that garbage about phoenix ownership was a waste of time if he was going to sign regardless of what his camp was saying. He should have never bothered to meet with any teams, so yes, I do consider it jerking us around.

Right, I understood my post actually, and my response still stands. He had to check out other offers in case phoenix didn't work out for him. You interpret this as 'jerking you around' even tho he always publicly stated his first priority was Phoenix. Therefore the drama you are creating is coming form you, not Doan. No cherry picking.

Archived