Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Shane Doan re-signs with Coyotes - 4 years, $5.3m per w/ a $2m bonus

Signing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
188 replies to this topic

#151 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

It's hilarious how a lot of you actually thought he was going to leave :lol:

It hilarious how many prefer to see the Canucks lose at something and be proven right rather then hope to be wrong.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#152 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Burrows is a better player and a better cap hit. Not that that was the choice being made... But kind of...

Doan: Kind of relieved, but wondering if he would have been good enough for the first 2 years to compensate sucking the last 2.... If we can get a young player to step up this year ... I mean in feb... Hard season to break into...

#153 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I can't believe I'am saying this but I kind of respect the fact that he choose to accept a measly $5 million dollars per year to live in a beautiful valley desert as compared to a coastal paradise because his [fill in the blank] meant more to him than the extra $8 mil and a shot at hockey's holy grail ... wait ... confu ... :frantic:

I'd take coastal paradise over a desert... It's brown, boring, dusty, dirty, bright, and HOT!! And this is coming from someone who is currently living in the desert... >_<

Edited by Shachihoko, 14 September 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#154 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,127 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

It hilarious how many prefer to see the Canucks lose at something and be proven right rather then hope to be wrong.

"Lose"?

We were never supposed to "Win".
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#155 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Personally, i'm blaming all those so-called 'insiders' and other bsing bloggers for trolling us once again, only for it all to be worthless.

Y'know, you can blame us for following it, but the thing is a lot of us are writing it as well. It's a perfect shticane storm to create intersht traffic for you know what.

Shhh, don't let them know we're onto them.

Although I do think there probably was some smoke to the Doan fire, but I'm sure these sights put Canadian teams into practically every rumour to increase internet traffic too.

Edited by Wilbur, 14 September 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#156 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

Posted Image

So close..yet so far..

Posted Image

#157 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

I am not ticked he didn't sign. He can sign where he wants, but jerking us around is irritating.

He didn't jerk anyone around. You are creating your own drama.

#158 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,358 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Doan signs in Phoenix CDC reaction: WE DIDN'T WANT THAT OLD MAN OMG MY BUTT HURTS

Doan signs in Vancouver CDC reaction: OMG I EJACULATED GILLIS 4 LIFE

iM9vOuM.jpg

#159 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

I know a lot of people thought he would leave Coyotes. I know a lot of people thought he would sign with a team that has a better chance at winning the cup, but to be honest I am quite happy to see him stay. Don't get me wrong I love the guy. I would have been happy for us to get him even for up to $6M. What I love about his signing is that it shows that the game still has genuine classy loyal players. With money being thrown around at players like it the GM's grow it in their backyards it's nice to see a guy stay loyal and remain with the only franchise he has ever been with no matter what the cirumstance - in this case a team that has management issues still and still needing a bit of work to be considered a cup contender. Truly hope he wins the cup one day with the Coyotes....after everything he has given to the franchise it is time for them to reward him with that at the very least.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#160 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

I know a lot of people thought he would leave Coyotes. I know a lot of people thought he would sign with a team that has a better chance at winning the cup, but to be honest I am quite happy to see him stay. Don't get me wrong I love the guy. I would have been happy for us to get him even for up to $6M. What I love about his signing is that it shows that the game still has genuine classy loyal players. With money being thrown around at players like it the GM's grow it in their backyards it's nice to see a guy stay loyal and remain with the only franchise he has ever been with no matter what the cirumstance - in this case a team that has management issues still and still needing a bit of work to be considered a cup contender. Truly hope he wins the cup one day with the Coyotes....after everything he has given to the franchise it is time for them to reward him with that at the very least.

Very well put!

#161 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm pleased...........it would have been a bad move on our part, for a lot of money. Plus, I still think he used us but I suppose he's entitled to do what serves him best. I think offers should be "time limited" to cut all the shenanigans out.

Edited by Bodee, 15 September 2012 - 01:59 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#162 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Someone sounds a little bitter, do you want a hug? ^_^

Edited by .Naslund, 15 September 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

#163 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm pleased...........it would have been a bad move on our part, for a lot of money. Plus, I still think he used us but I suppose he's entitled to do what serves him best. I think offers should be "time limited" to cut all the shenanigans out.

Yeah, he was so sneaky, saying all along that his preference was to stay in Phoenix. Then taking less money than the rumoured Buffalo offer. How diabolical of him. You do realize Vancouver could have rescinded their offer any time right? They didn't HAVE to wait for Doan's decision, they chose to.

#164 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

I agree with you up to the point where you want to see a Cup in Phoenix. Sorry, but at that point, I look at loyalty in a different context, and consider the fact that the implications of Bettman-izing the NHL meant that a team moved from a Canadian market where sellouts were the norm and hockey is a way of life, in favour of the US dollar and broadcast revenue. The loyalty of the existing diehard fanbase meant nada. The era of the diversion build-a-new-uber-million$-arena-blackmail or we move elsewhere was in it's heyday. Respect Doan and his loyalty, but that's where this rose coloured story ends, and I highly doubt the decision to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or move them will be motivated by anything like Doan's own loyalty.

#165 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

I agree with you up to the point where you want to see a Cup in Phoenix. Sorry, but at that point, I look at loyalty in a different context, and consider the fact that the implications of Bettman-izing the NHL meant that a team moved from a Canadian market where sellouts were the norm and hockey is a way of life, in favour of the US dollar and broadcast revenue. The loyalty of the existing diehard fanbase meant nada. The era of the diversion build-a-new-uber-million$-arena-blackmail or we move elsewhere was in it's heyday. Respect Doan and his loyalty, but that's where this rose coloured story ends, and I highly doubt the decision to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or move them will be motivated by anything like Doan's own loyalty.

I think all he meant was that he wants Doan to win a Cup.
Posted Image

#166 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

I think all he meant was that he wants Doan to win a Cup.

uh, yeah, got it - and the "with the Coyotes" part.

I think all I meant was his loyalty to them doesn't quite tip the scales to wanting to see a Cup in the desert or a vindication of Bettman moving the Jets there.

Edited by oldnews, 15 September 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#167 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Is your loyalty issue really with Doan? I applaud the discussion; but its highly likely Doan simply wants his family to stay where his kids have grown up?

Why Bettmen has such a fixation with poor U.S. markets, on the other hand, is a legit discussion!

#168 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

He didn't jerk anyone around. You are creating your own drama.

Way to cherry pick one sentence and not use my whole post.

I said he is well within his rights to sign wherever, but that garbage about phoenix ownership was a waste of time if he was going to sign regardless of what his camp was saying. He should have never bothered to meet with any teams, so yes, I do consider it jerking us around.

Edited by TimberWolf, 15 September 2012 - 05:28 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

#169 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Someone sounds a little bitter, do you want a hug? ^_^

I'm not bitter about Doan not signing, I can see maybe how my posts might seem that way, but I never had my hopes up in the first place, figured it was about 5% chance of landing him.

I just am not amused by fans actually revelling in this. Unless you never wanted Doan here in the first place what is making you so happy?

Edited by TimberWolf, 15 September 2012 - 05:27 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

#170 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

oh well.... time to move on
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#171 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Is your loyalty issue really with Doan? I applaud the discussion; but its highly likely Doan simply wants his family to stay where his kids have grown up?

Why Bettmen has such a fixation with poor U.S. markets, on the other hand, is a legit discussion!

no - I think you misunderstood or I was unclear - I have no issue at all with Doan's loyalty - I simply can't applaud that to the point of wishing a Cup for him in Phoenix - because of the discussion you consider legitimate. I don't support Bettman's fixation on desert markets, particularly when he took my Jets from a perfectly Canadian market to that odd-ball location.

#172 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Shane really turned this into a protracted circle jerk. I'm glad he never signed here.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#173 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

uh, yeah, got it - and the "with the Coyotes" part.

I think all I meant was his loyalty to them doesn't quite tip the scales to wanting to see a Cup in the desert or a vindication of Bettman moving the Jets there.

Ah I see, so for you, you don't care about the Coyotes winning because of Bettman. I don't really care if the Yotes win a Cup for Doan either, I'm not a fan of the Coyotes or anything. Just try to be concise next time ;)

I'm not bitter about Doan not signing, I can see maybe how my posts might seem that way, but I never had my hopes up in the first place, figured it was about 5% chance of landing him.

I just am not amused by fans actually revelling in this. Unless you never wanted Doan here in the first place what is making you so happy?

Right off the bat, I've never really been a fan of Doan. At first I was like "Cool it'd be pretty good to get Doan." Then when I heard he wanted about 6 million per for 4 years, I wanted nothing to do with him. I guess I didn't want him here.

It's just funny because so many people were already inserting him into lineups, talking about which number he'd wear, 50+ page thread, and the great passionate comebacks to those of us who believed he wouldn't sign here "[blank] on twitter said Doan is going to choose the Canucks blah blah blah" So yeah I think it's kind of funny. I'm not reveling in anyone's misery though.
Posted Image

#174 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

no - I think you misunderstood or I was unclear - I have no issue at all with Doan's loyalty - I simply can't applaud that to the point of wishing a Cup for him in Phoenix - because of the discussion you consider legitimate. I don't support Bettman's fixation on desert markets, particularly when he took my Jets from a perfectly Canadian market to that odd-ball location.

Old News;
The only way your Jets worked in Winnipeg was through a 'gate driven' NHL business model. The NHL's business plan is selling hockey fo media driven revenue. ie the NBC contract for $2 billion. Your Jets might have survived if the Can $ had turned earlier and the 2004 CBA had been signed. I suspect that Bettman cringes when he looks at the PHX balance sheet but the NYR and TO Laffers are smiling. I guess the question to ask NBC is how much are they prepared to pay if the southern markets are abandoned? I would love to look at the books of all 30 teams it would be more than interesting.

#175 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

Boudrias, I get the Bettman business model - I also get the implications that it empowered US media relative to disempowering the Canadian customer/consumer. Business business, I know - that doesn't change my interests as a Canadian 'consumer' (the result was selling out to glowing pucks for CS!). In addition to looking at the books of those 30 teams, you might also look at the ratings in peripheral non-hockey markets, and ask what kind of advertising revenue NBC is reaping due to NHL presences in sleeper markets like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. The fact they moved Atlanta north might indicate that NBC wasn't terribly concerned, nor did the NHL think that move would jeopardize their relationship - no doubt, the NBC contract is primarily driven by the interests of the monster markets in the US (their coverage seems to exclusively focus on the elite teams does it not?). I'd also be interested, if the math were/could be done, to know if disregarding the gate driven revenue in Canada (albeit squeezed by the weak dollar at the time) was a move that paid off, or if the NHL lost money moving to indifferent markets and playing in front of handfuls of people (and what were the ticket prices?). Perhaps the either/or model - ie media vs gate revenue was unbalanced - as opposed to media and gate driven interests. In the end, the NHL was not only making very risky moves, but they were taking the Canadian market for granted. So when the words loyalty and Phoenix come into play, the response seems natural - how exactly does the NHL reward loyalty?

I understand that Bettman later mitigated the losses by creating equalization that effectively gave life-support to Edmonton and Calgary, and a salary cap, that combined with a resurgent dollar, made the Canadian teams competitive again, but I think that he had taken it too far at that point and had to step back - abandoning all but 3 Canadian markets would have been an asinine decision in the end.

Toronto may have benefitted, but no matter what, they are incapable of being competitive. :lol: They may have seen the exodus as an opportunity to capture more fans outside Onterrible to the market at the center of the world.... (jk - I'm sure the CBC, etc, was fearing the shift as well).
I'll let it all go when their is another franchise in Canada to compensate for the loss of QC. ::D

Edited by oldnews, 16 September 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#176 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Boudrias, I get the Bettman business model - I also get the implications that it empowered US media relative to disempowering the Canadian customer/consumer. Business business, I know - that doesn't change my interests as a Canadian 'consumer' (the result was selling out to glowing pucks for CS!). In addition to looking at the books of those 30 teams, you might also look at the ratings in peripheral non-hockey markets, and ask what kind of advertising revenue NBC is reaping due to NHL presences in sleeper markets like Phoenix, Columbus, etc. The fact they moved Atlanta north might indicate that NBC wasn't terribly concerned, nor did the NHL think that move would jeopardize their relationship - no doubt, the NBC contract is primarily driven by the interests of the monster markets in the US (their coverage seems to exclusively focus on the elite teams does it not?). I'd also be interested, if the math were/could be done, to know if disregarding the gate driven revenue in Canada (albeit squeezed by the weak dollar at the time) was a move that paid off, or if the NHL lost money moving to indifferent markets and playing in front of handfuls of people (and what were the ticket prices?). Perhaps the either/or model - ie media vs gate revenue was unbalanced - as opposed to media and gate driven interests. In the end, the NHL was not only making very risky moves, but they were taking the Canadian market for granted. So when the words loyalty and Phoenix come into play, the response seems natural - how exactly does the NHL reward loyalty?

I understand that Bettman later mitigated the losses by creating equalization that effectively gave life-support to Edmonton and Calgary, and a salary cap, that combined with a resurgent dollar, made the Canadian teams competitive again, but I think that he had taken it too far at that point and had to step back - abandoning all but 3 Canadian markets would have been an asinine decision in the end.

Toronto may have benefitted, but no matter what, they are incapable of being competitive. :lol: They may have seen the exodus as an opportunity to capture more fans outside Onterrible to the market at the center of the world.... (jk - I'm sure the CBC, etc, was fearing the shift as well).
I'll let it all go when their is another franchise in Canada to compensate for the loss of QC. ::D

It would seem we are curious bed partners in this opinion. I'm also reared on the Jets having grown up in the Peg.

I also hold a chip on discussion regarding Don Cherry style fixation on North American vs European style players.

Anyone who was in the Peg remembers that the few years prior to leaving, the provincial govt. was subsidizing losses for the Jets. And Selanne, their biggest superstar, took a big Burrows style home town discount to help the Jets remain viable. But a year later Kieth Tkatchuk was the prototypical N American style player. He held out for $5 mill a season (or some #, $'s foggy) and was going to stuff the team. But management traded Selanne and gave greedy Kieth his deal. And all the tax paying public blew a lid; because they were suddenly subsidizing Kieth. Support became a political backlash, funding was pulled and with it any last chances of saving the team.

So I also always cheered for Selanne and guys like Iginla (not their teams), hated big Kieth and look at the real value of a player and his loyalties. I was indifferent to the Canucks when I first moved to Vancouver. But I became a fan when Bure turned the same dork that was Tkatchuk. I cheered when Burke told him to stuff it, left him to hold out and traded him. We were building a team the right way. I have been a fan ever since, and guys like Burrows make it easy to remain a fan.

As for the NHL; they should do the right thing and reward true fans in hockey markets. Southern Ontario could support two more teams, and I would love to believe a team could be supported in QC.

#177 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Way to cherry pick one sentence and not use my whole post.

I said he is well within his rights to sign wherever, but that garbage about phoenix ownership was a waste of time if he was going to sign regardless of what his camp was saying. He should have never bothered to meet with any teams, so yes, I do consider it jerking us around.

Right, I understood my post actually, and my response still stands. He had to check out other offers in case phoenix didn't work out for him. You interpret this as 'jerking you around' even tho he always publicly stated his first priority was Phoenix. Therefore the drama you are creating is coming form you, not Doan. No cherry picking.

#178 DBag

DBag

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Right, I understood my post actually, and my response still stands. He had to check out other offers in case phoenix didn't work out for him. You interpret this as 'jerking you around' even tho he always publicly stated his first priority was Phoenix. Therefore the drama you are creating is coming form you, not Doan. No cherry picking.

I can't help but feel a little jerked around by doan. while i admire his loyalty, he said he wouldn't sign with the coyotes unless the ownership situation was resolved. With the ownership issue unresolved, i for one thought the canucks had a great chance. we all know his heart was in phoenix but i guess i feel a little jerked around cause of that reason alone. he said he wouldn't sign in phoenix with the ownership issue unresolved and he ends up signing in phoenix. sure the canucks could have pulled their offer off the table at any point, but why would they if they knew they had a great chance at doan and because doan said he wouldn't sign there without the ownership issue resolved.

#179 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Could we still get Doan if the phx team folds? Be a win win for everyone... He stays loyal to his coyotes right to the end and then gets to play fit his 2nd favorite team

#180 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

OMG OMG WE LOST OUT ON WEBER, SCHULTZ, OVECHKIN AND YAKUPOV AND NOW DOAN!!! FIRE THE CANUCKS MANAGEMENT. WTF ARE AV AND GILLIS DOING. IDIOTS. OMG :picard: :picard: :picard:
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.