The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So we didn't get Doan...what's next?

one-x

Well now that Doan is off the table we could wait on trading Lou depending on how long the season is. Shortened seasons can be a toss up. If it ends up only being 45 games and the trading dealine is 3 months into the season we could add to the line-up then if it rewards us better. Less games until the deadline would mean less friction since it would take everyone a bit to get into the swing anyway. The drama would be minimized compared to what writers could come up with in 5 months.

Going into the 13-14 season, $55.4M of the cap is already accounted for with 13 players signed. Of course that includes Lou, but even with his cap hit gone, that still leaves just under $50.1M of the cap accounted for with only 12 players signed. Edler has to be resigned, and you know he isn't going to sign for less than $4.6-5M. Even if Edler signs for 4.6, that will increase the cap hit to at least 54.7M or more. All but $0.7M of Lou's cap would then be accounted for.

That brings it back up to 13 players. 10 to go, including a back-up goalie. Not included in that 54.7M cap are:

Tanev (RFA $900K)

Alberts (UFA $1,225M)

Volpatti (UFA $600K)

Ebbett (UFA $600K)

Weise (RFA $615K)

Lapierre (UFA $1M)

Higgins (UFA $1,9M)

Raymond (UFA $2,275M)

Malholtra (UFA $2,5M)

Plus, the cap is going to shrink. Just where do you find the money to sign Weber plus resign or replace the other 9 players? We're already up against it even if the cap were to stay where it is. 

Never mind missing out on Doan or adding Weber. That doesn't even account for whatever salary gets taken on in trade for Lou.

You have a point in trading Schneider because he certainly has a high trade value... but honestly the Canucks just signed him to a 3 year deal. I don't think they are going to trade him. Also, the Canucks want to get younger and trading an amazing goalie like Schneider could ruin the chances of becoming younger in the goaltending department. Eddie Lack still has a lot to improve on (rebounds). Therefore, it is in the best interest to trade Luongo since he has a huge salary cap and wouldn't mind a trade back to his first NHL team (Florida Panthers).

What's Next?

Re-Sign Edler

Re-Sign Lapierre

Re-Sign Higgins

Trade Luongo

Possibly sign Arnott 1 year- 1 million

Play season (12-13 or 13-14)

Try to finish top of the league

Go to playoffs

Try to make it to SCF

Play their a*^es off

Hopefully win Cup

Party

Draft

FA Signings

Start new season

Obviously the canucks haven't really made much of a splash in the offseason in terms of getting any new players or "improving" the team (although signing Burrows is a great start). My question is this: do you think MG has any tricks left up his sleeve? Or is this basically the team for the next season (whenever that may be). Also, are there any moves you think he should make?

If you ask me, I think that the Luongo deal is bound to happen, perhaps getting Versteeg from Florida? Other than that, I don't see what else MG could possibly do.

Edit: Oh and of course Jason Garrison was a big one (stupidly forgotten).

I was hoping for an extension of either Lapierre or Higgins more than I was hoping for an extension of Edler.

I personally think that these two acquisitions got us to the finals. Both are still young enough to play real well for several years to come, yet experienced enough to be considered NHL regulars/veterans.

I think that Signing Lapierre to a 4 years contract worth 4-6M, and signing higgins for 3 years worth 6-7.5M is ideal in the short term.

Archived