The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Teacher Who Gave Out Zeros Fired

DonLever

He was fired for not following Edmonton's School Board Policy of giving behavioural codes like MPA for incomplete work, rather than handing out zeros.

So he was fired for insubordiation - not following the bosses instruction. It is like you disregarding instructions from your boss. It is a justifed cause for dismissal.

He was fired for not following Edmonton's School Board Policy of giving behavioural codes like MPA for incomplete work, rather than handing out zeros.

So he was fired for insubordiation - not following the bosses instruction. It is like you disregarding instructions from your boss. It is a justifed cause for dismissal.

I have to agree with Lever. This teacher was fired for not following the rules in place and insubordination. The policy might be absurd but it is still the policy so he should not be surprised to be fired. It is not unlike those El Monte lifeguards who were fired after their video popped up online.

Guest BuckFoston

Imagine these self entitled little princelings trying to join a real workforce on a few years. When I was in school, I had the fear of God instilled in me that if I didn't turn in an assignment or a paper I was as good as dead. Who are these kids, they have no respect for their parents, their teacher, or themselves. All they care about now are their 300 dollar headphones and texting during class. Piss ants.

Accountability is supposed to be a main life skill learned and reinforced through school. Teachers have much less opportunity to support that learning now. I understand that being positive and trying to support children in a positive way is a step forward in many ways in the field of teaching. But every once in awhile a good dose of harsh accountability - like a 0 on an assignment - is healthy and supportive in its own way as well.

Charles Sykes wrote the 11 rules of life for young people.

This is rule number 8:

Your school may have done away with winners and losers,

but life has not. In some schools they have abolished

failing grades and they'll give you as many times as

you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the

slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Archived