Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Edmonton Teacher Who Gave Out Zeros Fired

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

BC teachers are free to give zeros to students says Vancouver Sun Article.

http://www.vancouver...6617/story.html

Its up to the teacher say BCTF president Susan Lambert.

In BC teachers may be able to give out zeros but there is a mandate in regard to late work. Teachers must accept work from students, regardless of dealines or reasons, and students cannot be assessed late marks or any other penalty for doing so. Students are assessed an "incomplete" mark until the missing assignments are handed in. Education in BC is currently trending towards catering to lowest common denominator and a 100% graduation rate. Apparently accountability is not very high on the list of priorities.

Posted Image

#32 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

In BC teachers may be able to give out zeros but there is a mandate in regard to late work. Teachers must accept work from students, regardless of dealines or reasons, and students cannot be assessed late marks or any other penalty for doing so. Students are assessed an "incomplete" mark until the missing assignments are handed in. Education in BC is currently trending towards catering to lowest common denominator and a 100% graduation rate. Apparently accountability is not very high on the list of priorities.

WOW! Kids are going to be screwed in the real world with mandates like this. :picard:

2qnqykg.jpg

#33 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

I live near Edmonton and graduated in June. The ones who took advantage of this policy are either back in high school right now, still unemployed, or working menial entry level jobs. This teacher being fired is usually a topic on some radio stations, where everyone that calls in disagrees with the policy that teachers are forced to abide by. Basically it creates the illusion that these students can succeed in life with no effort. I think it is just to get kids out of school where they can't be put in a position to apply for post secondary, but to get a job that requires a high school diploma.
I disagree with the policy, but its just how it is I guess..

Edited by JimLahey, 18 September 2012 - 12:07 AM.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#34 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Failing to comply with a direct order is a reason to be fired. I just hope he received a nice severance cheque from the school district.

#35 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Remember the good old days when teachers handed out zeros, parents hit their kids, kids respected their elders and we played outside and had fun?

I miss those days.

Edited by The Hornet, 18 September 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Posted Image

#36 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Kids are in for a real eye opener when they hit adulthood.

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

WOW! Kids are going to be screwed in the real world with mandates like this. :picard:

I wouldn't say screwed - they'll learn the hard way.

Unfortunately, there is the hard way (which could all be avoided)

#38 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Really! Interesting..
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#39 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Remember the good old days when teachers handed out zeros, parents hit their kids, kids respected their elders and we played outside and had fun?

I miss those days.

oh the memories...

2qnqykg.jpg

#40 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

Really! Interesting..

I was worried about this. Don't go getting any big ideas punk.
Posted Image

#41 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

I was worried about this. Don't go getting any big ideas punk.

No worries. I teach post secondary so don't know things at BCTF level.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#42 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Back in my day...

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 19 September 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#43 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

UPDATE:

Dorval lands a new teaching job at local private school

A local teacher, recently fired from Edmonton Public Schools after violating the "no-zero" policy at a local high school, has a new job.

Lynden Dorval will be teaching physics at Tempo School, a private school for kindergarten to grade 12, located in the Riverbend area.

Dorval said the school has a solid reputation for academic achievement.

"They give zeroes." Dorval tells CTV News. "They made it very clear up front that they do give zeroes at that school. It's a very good school -- very high academics ... very high achieving students."

The headmaster of the school said teachers are given the responsibility to mark students as they see fit, with no school-wide policy governing marking student assignments.

“Our grading policy, our evaluation policy is by and large set by teachers, and it varies from teach to teacher,” Headmaster Peter Mitchell said.

Parents of students at the school are applauding the school’s choice.

“We value teachers that are supportive of education and high academic standards,” Anila Joy, parent of three students at Tempo School said.

“I think he did what he thought was right,” Phyllis Cohen, a grandmother of four Tempo students said. “I totally agree.”

Now, after Dorval became a household name for his fight – the spotlight is now giving Tempo some publicity.

“I’ve had e-mails from people I’ve never met in my inbox this morning,” Mitchell said.

Dorval's new job will start on the day after his termination from the public school district takes effect in mid-October.

“I’m going to be very happy to at least do some teaching, to have some normalcy to my life,” Dorval said. “I don’t regret it.”

In the meantime, he still plans to appeal the Edmonton Public School Board's decision to let him go.

http://edmonton.ctvn...school-1.962293

Posted Image

#44 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I miss those days.

First it was pensions I was worried about, now I fear that when I have kids, parents won't be able to smack them around for lip anymore.

#45 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

I missed a lab (and therefore the quiz) last week and got a zero.

I think I'm going to bring this up to my prof.

Newbs!

Dral is without question 100% mafia; trust me I'm a whale.

Fruits?

Lord Peaches' gut is telling him that the drunken fool, aka Dral, is 100% mafia.

MVP?

Dral is 100% mafia or I will masteb_ _ _ _ a cow and like it

GOATis?

Vig kill dral he never talks like this when he's not mafia.

#46 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I missed a lab (and therefore the quiz) last week and got a zero.

I think I'm going to bring this up to my prof.

be prepared to get laughed at

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.