The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Teacher Who Gave Out Zeros Fired

DonLever

In BC teachers may be able to give out zeros but there is a mandate in regard to late work. Teachers must accept work from students, regardless of dealines or reasons, and students cannot be assessed late marks or any other penalty for doing so. Students are assessed an "incomplete" mark until the missing assignments are handed in. Education in BC is currently trending towards catering to lowest common denominator and a 100% graduation rate. Apparently accountability is not very high on the list of priorities.

I live near Edmonton and graduated in June. The ones who took advantage of this policy are either back in high school right now, still unemployed, or working menial entry level jobs. This teacher being fired is usually a topic on some radio stations, where everyone that calls in disagrees with the policy that teachers are forced to abide by. Basically it creates the illusion that these students can succeed in life with no effort. I think it is just to get kids out of school where they can't be put in a position to apply for post secondary, but to get a job that requires a high school diploma.

I disagree with the policy, but its just how it is I guess..

In BC teachers may be able to give out zeros but there is a mandate in regard to late work. Teachers must accept work from students, regardless of dealines or reasons, and students cannot be assessed late marks or any other penalty for doing so. Students are assessed an "incomplete" mark until the missing assignments are handed in. Education in BC is currently trending towards catering to lowest common denominator and a 100% graduation rate. Apparently accountability is not very high on the list of priorities.

Archived