The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks had trade in place for Burrows in Feb. 2009

samirjaver

The Tampa rumour was Burrows and Bieksa for tampas 1st which was Hedman. Burke let it out MG denied it.

This is different. Burr had recently started playing with Sedins. He was scoring a lot going into UFA. Before the trade deadline MG told Burr if he didnt take $2 mill per year he would be traded. Burr signed 4 years and became the best contract in the league afterwards.

Should be noted at the time it was close to fair value. Burr was not the player he is now. He just started playing with Sedins and broke out.

Just remember about the context. IIRC, during Feb 09, the Canucks were losing games left and right, like a 10 game losing (or without win) streak.

The line up was:

Daniel - Henrik - Bernier

Demitra - Sundin - Wellwood

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk

Pyatt

The RPM line haven't arrived and the Sedins+Burrows combo haven't come about yet either.

There were rumours earlier that AV might have had an issue with Burrows for coming to camp out of shape (or was that the year before?). If you look at the lineup, the only one who was expendable with any value was Burrows. You're not gonna trade the Sedins or Kesler, Raymond and Hansen were the youngbloods, Sundin and Demitra signed as UFA (never a good idea to trade them).... so Burrows was seen as the best move for a possible shakeup.

Turned out that Burrows was the catalyst for turning the season around.

• 2 weeks later...

but what? I really don't get your point with posting this....it's old news.....who cares what shoulda, woulda, coulda, happened in 2009, Burrows has signed on for another 4 years! now,in 2012..... that is what is news, very good news :towel:

I'm a big fan of #14 and hope he's a Canuck for his entire career, but there's no guarantees he's a Canuck for the duration of his new contract. Now that he's signed long-term to what is arguably a very reasonable salary for what he brings to the team, I see him as one of the most tradeable guys on the roster unfortunately. I'm not saying I want him traded (quite the opposite actually), but look at it from a management standpoint, Sedin's, Kesler, Booth, Raymond, all untradeable so to speak due to NTC or sheer uselessness. This makes Burrows prime trade bait unfortunately - he's unprotected due to not having a NTC - of course this all goes out the window if he in fact does have a NTC but according to capgeek he doesn't. I am really surprised Burrows didn't push for a NTC considering where he is in his career, this being the only team he's ever played for, and his admitted love for the team/city - but who knows what went on during the negotiations - Burrows is finally gettin' PAID and good for him!

Archived