Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

India to be a FIFA World Cup contender in the future?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: India to be a FIFA World Cup contender in the future? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Can India make the World Cup by 2022?

1. Yes (10 votes [34.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. No (19 votes [65.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

http://www.fifa.com/...newsid=1696734/
http://www.fifa.com/...newsid=1696683/

India has a chance of hosting the FIFA U17 World Cup and developing its youth to become World Cup contenders, do you think India can do it?
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#2 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

No.

I'll edit in an explanation in the morning. I'm too tired to right now.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 15 September 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Theres 1.2 billion people over there, they can't come up with 11 guys to make a team?
You know what the problem is? You have no idea how hard it is to kick a ball straight with curly toed shoes on.
Posted Image

#4 i4i™

i4i™

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Theres 1.2 billion people over there, they can't come up with 11 guys to make a team?
You know what the problem is? You have no idea how hard it is to kick a ball straight with curly toed shoes on.

Hmm... That sounds familiar... Russell Peters. :P

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#5 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

No chance. Don't need to explain why.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#6 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Indias feild hockey team cant do anything, dont expect them to do anything in soccer either.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#7 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

No they can't. Cricket... Yes!

Team India would probably arrive late to games and would be to lazy to run after the ball, they would just let the other teams run around.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

I live in India, I can tell you there's no chance.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#9 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

I live in India, I can tell you there's no chance.

Every time you post, I get kind of excited because I always think your Rashida Jones.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

The Indian National Team? North Korea fields a better squad than India. I doubt this team will even find any success in the AFC.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#11 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

The Indian National Team? North Korea fields a better squad than India. I doubt this team will even find any success in the AFC.

It's not about the current team it's about the growth of youth in India
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#12 LuonGO Canucks Go

LuonGO Canucks Go

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

It is hard thing to do. let’s say Asia Zone ( including Australia now) is given 5 Spots for World Cup, You have South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, North Korea, China top bets to qualify, i may have missed one or two main contenders, Do u see these teams declining in their talent? Even if India improves it is hard to get equal to these countries. Last month India had it is annual Invitational Sort of Nations cup. In final it was India and Cameroon. Cameroon had sent its team without top 8 players and even that team lost to India on spot Kicks. So India has to improve by leaps and bounds if it wants to do anything.

#13 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

India has the same problem as Canada. Soccer is not on the minds of most sports fans. They love hockey and cricket.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#14 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

India has the same problem as Canada. Soccer is not on the minds of most sports fans. They love hockey and cricket.

Even India's hockey program is in shambles these days. Once a world power, they are now ranked 11 in the world, only 3 spots higher than our Canadian lads.

In cricket, India is ranked #5 in the ICC.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#15 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Every time you post, I get kind of excited because I always think your Rashida Jones.

This is the second/third time I've read that today. This is weird. Lol.

Edited by g_bassi13, 16 September 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#16 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

This is the second/third time I've read that today. This is weird. Lol.

Maybe it's because I'm usually on mobile. Still, Rashida Jones is awesome!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Just as my family moved from Russia a few generations ago, they came here for a better life. If Russia was so great they would have stayed there. The same goes for India. YOU'RE Canadian. Support THIS country first.

Best quote for this subject I could fine "the moment I got off the plane in India I realized how Canadian I was".

I am by no means trying to slam any culture, my main point is I would like to people who were born here, support this country first.

#18 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Just as my family moved from Russia a few generations ago, they came here for a better life. If Russia was so great they would have stayed there. The same goes for India. YOU'RE Canadian. Support THIS country first.

Best quote for this subject I could fine "the moment I got off the plane in India I realized how Canadian I was".

I am by no means trying to slam any culture, my main point is I would like to people who were born here, support this country first.

So what if someone's proud of where their heritage lies? Who are you to tell them who to support?
Posted Image

#19 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

It's not about the current team it's about the growth of youth in India

Japan, South Korea and Australia need to play better for the AFC to gain more spots in the World Cup. Ironically, North Korea took the fourth spot, and their football program has somehow produced a decent team.

In 10 years, I imagine things won't change too much:

Japan
South Korea
Australia
North Korea
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
India.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#20 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Will India qualify for a World Cup before Canada does? How sad would that be?

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#21 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Most Canadians support Canada first no matter where they come from or their family comes from originally. But almost every soccer fan I know also supports their ethnic country(s) of origin as well. I personally support 1. Canada 2. Ireland 3. England

I've got zero problem with anyone showing their support for another country. When it comes push to shove though I would expect most would stand up for Canada.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#22 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Japan, South Korea and Australia need to play better for the AFC to gain more spots in the World Cup. Ironically, North Korea took the fourth spot, and their football program has somehow produced a decent team.

In 10 years, I imagine things won't change too much:

Japan
South Korea
Australia
North Korea
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
India.

Im hoping Australia can move up on the list, but all our talent is ageing. Cahill is 32, Schwarzer is 39, Kewell is 34 and i can't see too many promising young players besides Kruse.
Posted Image

#23 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

I honestly doubt it.

The development programs aren't there, and the interest isn't there. Even with the necessary programs, it would take decades to develop any sort of talent, and in that time the other soccer powers in Asia would have improved too.

Sorry to say, I doubt it'll ever happen.

RIP LB RR PD

#24 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Read:

Soccernomics

Great read.

3 driving things that lead to success in soccer (or sport in general)

Population, experience (how well connected they are to western European game of the Dutch, Italy, France, Germany, Spain (in leu of the Dutch), and maybe modern English coaches plus games played), and $$$$$$$$

India (and many Asian teams for that matter)

Has population, but lacks experience and money.

However, as the wealth of the middle class continues to grow, all India would need is childern from these wealthy middle class families to take up the game, and hire coaches from Western Europe. Done.

China is already started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.