Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Edler will not sign by 11:59 p.m.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

"For Canuck fans asking, and many are, there will not be an Alex Edler extension prior to midnight."@TSNBobMcKenzie

#2 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Maybe he'll sign at 12:00AM...PST :bigblush:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#3 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

there's not going to be a season so no rush

#4 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

12:01 i call it
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#5 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

I really wanna know what is holding it up, edler doesnt strike me as the kinda guy who wants to get the most money he possibly can but maybe im wrong....if im wrong then we got a big problem on our hands

6 years at 5.5m per...whats wrong with that?!?!?

Edited by billabong, 15 September 2012 - 09:15 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm curious about how the Canucks value Edler. There's 29 other teams that are lining up and some even willing to give insane offers for the young defense man. While, I think Gillis and company are still pondering those offers. Detroit and Philly are notables looking for their number 1 defense man. Since he's a Canuck, the team question about his inconsistencies, but at the same time hockey as a whole, know that even with Edler's inconsistencies that he is still one of the brightest young defense man in the league today.

There's already three defense man that are already locked up - Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa. Ballard, also has a big contract, but whether he is movable, we don't know. Now, we're all assuming Edler is going to get a big payday, so you have to wonder if the Canucks would rather go for someone else, maybe a player that in "their" eyes that is more consistent or perhaps, a few younger players and a cheaper top four that may be enough for them.

Detroit is desperate. Would not be surprised the slightest bit if Detroit goes all in, if Brendan Smith and Johan Franzen are part of a package to lure Edler. How could Vancouver not consider it?

and don't get this post out of context. I don't want Edler traded, and if he were indeed traded, I think I'd consider jumping wagons.

Edited by Rey, 15 September 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#7 ~ V ~

~ V ~

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

6 years at 5.5m per...whats wrong with that?!?!?

Edler is inconsistent and doesn't deserve 5.5 or more. Yea he is our best blue line point producer, but he isn't a star dman that deserves that much. Dmen like Duncan Keith, Kronwall, Myers, Carlsson, Subban, and others, are much more consistent than Edler, and giving him their type of money (Talking about Keith essentially as he gets just above 5.5) doesn't make sense. He hasn't yet been able to shine above the rest like how the players listed above have, and I personally think he's overvalued on our team, though he is a solid dman, just not worth 5.5

This pretty much sums it up:

I'm curious about how the Canucks value Edler. There's 29 other teams that are lining up and some even willing to give insane offers for the young defense man. While, I think Gillis and company are still pondering those offers. Detroit and Philly are notables looking for their number 1 defense man. Since he's a Canuck, the team question about his inconsistencies, but at the same time hockey as a whole, know that even with Edler's inconsistencies that he is still one of the brightest young defense man in the league today.

Edited by ~ V ~, 15 September 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Go to work, Get married, Have some kids, Pay your taxes, Pay your bills, Watch your TV, Follow fashion, Act normal,

OBEY THE LAW and Repeat after me: I AM FREE.

#8 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

no rush..... whenever he does sign i would do no more than 5 yrs $25 M
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

4.6 per year or bust :bigblush:

homeland_zpscbb5fad2.jpg

||||| 1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| 

#10 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

Edler has Erhoff disease. Getting easy points on the PP with the Sedins makes him think hes worth 6 million bucks a year. The other possibility is he doesnt want to play here anymore.
Posted Image

#11 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Edler is inconsistent and doesn't deserve 5.5 or more. Yea he is our best blue line point producer, but he isn't a star dman that deserves that much. Dmen like Duncan Keith, Kronwall, Myers, Carlsson, Subban, and others, are much more consistent than Edler, and giving him their type of money (Talking about Keith essentially as he gets just above 5.5) doesn't make sense. He hasn't yet been able to shine above the rest like how the players listed above have, and I personally think he's overvalued on our team, though he is a solid dman, just not worth 5.5

Much more consistent? You have to consistently watch them on a nightly basis, which I doubt you do, to even make that statement. Subban being a perfect example of this: Over the last two seasons since PK has only been around that long .. he is not more physical than Edler, isn't as much of a shot blocker as Edler, hasn't tallied as many points as Edler and is a massive giveaway machine in comparison. So, he's better how, exactly? Because he shows more flash? Yeah, that's worked out so well for PK at times.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 15 September 2012 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Darkstar

Darkstar

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Definitely a possibility of him walking and ending up in Detroit.

Formerly known as TheEhrhoffEffect

#13 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

I would sign Edler for 6 years at 34.5 million.

Edler will be the teams star defensemen if he isn't all ready. He will be the leader of the defensemen like Hamhuis and Bieksa are now, but even more so.

Lock him up long-term, he deserves to be the highest paid D-man on our team.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

To Florida:

Edler
Luongo
Van 2nd 2013

To Van:

Gudbransson
Bjugstad
Florida 1st 2013
Mattias

Thoughts?

#15 ~ V ~

~ V ~

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Edler has Erhoff disease. Getting easy points on the PP with the Sedins makes him think hes worth 6 million bucks a year. The other possibility is he doesnt want to play here anymore.

Exactly what I think of it as well.

Go to work, Get married, Have some kids, Pay your taxes, Pay your bills, Watch your TV, Follow fashion, Act normal,

OBEY THE LAW and Repeat after me: I AM FREE.

#16 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

To Florida:

Edler
Luongo
Van 2nd 2013

To Van:

Gudbransson
Bjugstad
Florida 1st 2013
Mattias

Thoughts?

Sorry but no chance.

Edler likely gets us Gudbranson.

But if Florida wouldn't give up Bjugstad for Lu, why would they give up Bjugstad, a 1st, and Matthias for Lu and a 2nd?

#17 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

Sorry but no chance.

Edler likely gets us Gudbranson.

But if Florida wouldn't give up Bjugstad for Lu, why would they give up Bjugstad, a 1st, and Matthias for Lu and a 2nd?

Throw in Raymond too

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#18 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Much more consistent? You have to consistently watch them on a nightly basis, which I doubt you do, to even make that statement. Subban being a perfect example of this: Over the last two seasons since PK has only been around that long .. he is not more physical than Edler, isn't as much of a shot blocker as Edler, hasn't tallied as many points as Edler and is a massive giveaway machine in comparison. So, he's better how, exactly? Because he shows more flash? Yeah, that's worked out so well for PK at times.

This.

There really isn't many consistent defense mans in the league anymore. People just don't understand it. They hear from the media that "Player X" is good, and all of a sudden join the crowd without knowing a thing. It's unfortunate because I honestly don't think most people know what Edler brings to the table, until he's gone. Which is quite sad.

For people, who say that Edler think he's worth 6 Million bucks? Well, face the facts, some team will give him that money. Right from the top of my head, think Matt Carle. 6 Year at 5.5 Average. Edler is twice the defense man Carle is.

#19 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

Edler,Lu,Raymondfor Versteeg,Matthias,1st,Ellerby5th
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#20 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

1) myers and subban are far more eratic then edler....did u watch tsn last year!?!?! every day there was a segment on subban and his play

2) keith is an all star d-man and edler will never match up against him

3) if wisniewski can get 5.5m then edler sure as hell can...if edler hit the open, you cant sit there honestly say teams wont throw 6.5m+ per at him

he is worth 5.5-6m, he knows he could get more on the open market but gillis wants him at 4.6m and thats the dilemna they have right now
Posted Image

#21 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Keith is making 8 million per as he has a couple of BS years tacked onto the end of his Luongo like contract. Add to that that he signed his contract a few years ago when the cap was a fair bit lower.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#22 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think edler is the dark horse to be dealt

#23 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Which is one of the reasons why Montreal got Galchenyuk and we got the Presidents Trophy

#24 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Deal him. We can get a lot back. Perhaps a Bobby Ryan in a 1 for 1 swap?

Worst case scenario we let him walk, which would suck, but it wouldn't be the worst thing if he's asking for an arm and a leg. Plus we have prospects up and coming who are itching for a chance to prove themselves.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#25 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

Edler

Bertuzzi
Helm

Luongo
Raymond
1st
Malhotra

Gudbranson
Matthias

Sign Raycroft

Sedin Sedin Bertuzzi
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins/Lapierre Helm Hansen
Higgins Matthias Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Gudbranson
Ballard Tanev

Cory
Raycroft

We go for it and him and the adult Sedins take over the show.

Edited by Merci, 18 September 2012 - 01:31 AM.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#26 sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Every defensemen you listed (save Kronwall) is either 1. more inconsistent than Edler (yes I include Keith in this), or 2.) really young / had one good year. How can you say Subban or Karlsson are more consistent when they've only been around a couple of years?

Edler is super underrated. Like the song says, you don't know what you've got til' it's gone.
Posted Image

#27 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Keep Edler.
Sexy trade ideas, yes, but he is entering his prime, could become 60 point defenseman and could develop his D and become a shutdown guy. We don't know what his ceiling is.
Defense wins championships

#28 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

"Just heard Edler was smoking blunts with Gillis & going over the numbers"...@MugsyMalone
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.