The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] KHL - Malkin and Gonchar

Common sense

@plysenkov - Metallurg right now signed contracts with Malkin and Gonchar.

https://twitter.com/...220104205582336

Small stuff for now, but I'm watching as the exodus begins.

A reminder for what this means for the KHL and locked-out players:

That means that if clubs are looking to sign non-Russian NHL players, they must have played in either 150 NHL games, on national teams, in the KHL previously or won a Stanley Cup or individual trophy.

The rules will go into effect the day the NHL announces the lockout and be enforced until the situation is resolved. Owners maintain that they'll lock out the NHLPA on Sept. 15.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-09-11/nhl-labor-news-lockout-2012-nhl-players-khl-alex-ovechkin-sidney-crosby-russia

The way to end this lockout is for the players to sign contracts effective 30th September in other leagues and not have "out" clauses back to the NHL.

If Sept 30th passed, then the NHL loses all those players for the year. I suspect that a deal gets done pretty darn quick to avoid that. Imagine no Swedes or Russians in the league plus all the other folks that can sign as foreign players in Europe.

It won't happen of course, but don't be surprised to see a player led mini-tour around the major markets maybe a "friendly" 5 team USA/Canada/Sweden/Russia/World tournament.

Playing in the KHL is quite alluring. Crazy salaries, no taxes, less hitting. For guys like Malkin and Gonchar who have already won a cup, why even come back to the NHL?

Didn't Jagr get 10 million per year when he played there? I can assume Malkin will get around 13-15 million. That is almost double what he makes here, and completely tax free.

Playing in the KHL is quite alluring. Crazy salaries, no taxes, less hitting. For guys like Malkin and Gonchar who have already won a cup, why even come back to the NHL?

Didn't Jagr get 10 million per year when he played there? I can assume Malkin will get around 13-15 million. That is almost double what he makes here, and completely tax free.

You thought I was joking about being hauled off in a blanket instead of stretcher?

http://www.bigleaguescrew.com/nhl/russian-roulette-in-the-russian-hockey-league

In my opinion, the risk of injury is much higher in the KHL. Also, judging by a friend who was born and raised there, she says Russia is just a crappy place to work, live and would never go back. If your a big name player who already has millions and a long term contract, I just don't get why you would take a chance. To each their own.

Archived