The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Cleanest Hitter in the NHL

Phil_314

Since awhile back there was a thread about dirty hits on Canucks that angered you, I was wondering conversely which players you considered to be the cleanest hitters (by clean I mean players who have a history of not aiming for an opponent's head, not clipping guys with loose elbows, not slew-footing, not drilling a guy on the numbers from behind, etc... guess that disqualifies most Bruins players :P)

While people used to dislike some of Shanaban's rulings at times, I do agree with his basis for ruling certain hits as being strictly clean hard checks, as shown here:

For the most part I think Volpatti is one of the cleaner hitters, though sometimes he does get caught out of line but his hits are mostly shoulder on shoulder, like such:

I can't think of too many at the moment (it's late :P), but who else would you rank as some of the cleaner but still fearsome hitters in the (unlocked) NHL?

Definately Kronwall. Consistently big hits and perfect timing. As much as I hated his back-hit on Kesler, there's nothing in the rulebook against leading with your back (but there should be). It was technically legal.

That being said, the back is by far the hardest part of your body. If you can't lead with your elbow, you shouldn't be allowed to lead with your back. The only reason it's not illegal is because it's such a rare hit.

Definately Kronwall. Consistently big hits and perfect timing. As much as I hated his back-hit on Kesler, there's nothing in the rulebook against leading with your back (but there should be). It was technically legal.

That being said, the back is by far the hardest part of your body. If you can't lead with your elbow, you shouldn't be allowed to lead with your back. The only reason it's not illegal is because it's such a rare hit.

Other than the incident with Koivu (which Koivu started anyway), I've always enjoyed good ol' Matty putting people down on the ice

Granted, these are just hits from recent years with Tampa, I don't really want to go through youtube to find the gems he had with Vancouver, also I'm just going on the assumption that most of us here have seen Mattias' hits when he was still here. The last two hits here just goes to show that even though he's not here anymore, he's still a Canuck at heart. Bwahahhaha

Archived