Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bodee

Interesting philosophies............and codes which might resound with todays Canucks

10 posts in this topic

Forgive me if you have seen this but I hadn't and found it interesting. Especially the way teams who didn't stand up for each other were looked on as "fair game"

I know these scenes are now outdated but should we.......are we starting to change our team to be more combative in the near future with Gaunce, Kassian, Mallet, Archibald etc?

Long video but very nostalgic and informative.

It's an interesting philosophy, but one that's no longer really the way of the new NHL. Some toughness is handy of course, but basing our entire team on toughness isn't necessary.

Standing up for our teammates is another matter though.

It oozes nostalgia, but like ajhockey said, gone are the days of goonery (I paraphrase of course.)

We've added some size, which will hopefully translate into some toughness. But we've got to keep that skill element of the game intact. That's what drives this boat in Vancouver.

That's so random u posted that.. I just watched it yesterday lol

I'd love to see us get that pack mentality in the future. We're gonna have some big boys in the coming years and I'd like to see a tough take no s**t coach brought in when the time is right.

Obviously the broad street bullies were difinitely overkill but I love the idea of having an entire team that can stand up for themselves and team mates.

As much as it pains me to say it.. Aside from the cheap shots, I love the way the bruins play. Every single player down to Marc Savard coming fresh off a concussion is willing to drop the mitts and fight for their team. When u got 25 guys willing to go to war for the guy next to him it forms a strong brotherhood and a feeling that nothing can touch you. You know every guy on your team is willing to sacrifice and take punishment to win.

That's so random u posted that.. I just watched it yesterday lol

I'd love to see us get that pack mentality in the future. We're gonna have some big boys in the coming years and I'd like to see a tough take no s**t coach brought in when the time is right.

Obviously the broad street bullies were difinitely overkill but I love the idea of having an entire team that can stand up for themselves and team mates.

As much as it pains me to say it.. Aside from the cheap shots, I love the way the bruins play. Every single player down to Marc Savard coming fresh off a concussion is willing to drop the mitts and fight for their team. When u got 25 guys willing to go to war for the guy next to him it forms a strong brotherhood and a feeling that nothing can touch you. You know every guy on your team is willing to sacrifice and take punishment to win.

pack mentality

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary

English

Noun

pack mentality (uncountable)

1. The tendency for groups of individuals to act together without planned direction.

this does not seem like a recipe for a successful hockey team .

I'm going to agree with Bodee, at least to a point.

One of my complaints about the current version of the Canucks (and of the past few seasons) was the lack of a policeman. I know roster space is important, but my opinion is that for certain games at least, there is room for a George Parros type player in the lineup.

I can think of a few games last season (Ottawa and LA come to mind) where the opposition's game plan from the outset was to go after our skill guys. In both of the games mentioned, we had no pushback. In fact, we had one of our so-called tough guys (Dale Weise) lose a fight to Nick Foligno, of all people.

I for one, would like to see a true enforcer dress for games against teams like LA and Chicago and ensure that guys like Brown and Keith "pay the price" for going after the twins.

I'm going to agree with Bodee, at least to a point.

One of my complaints about the current version of the Canucks (and of the past few seasons) was the lack of a policeman. I know roster space is important, but my opinion is that for certain games at least, there is room for a George Parros type player in the lineup.

I can think of a few games last season (Ottawa and LA come to mind) where the opposition's game plan from the outset was to go after our skill guys. In both of the games mentioned, we had no pushback. In fact, we had one of our so-called tough guys (Dale Weise) lose a fight to Nick Foligno, of all people.

I for one, would like to see a true enforcer dress for games against teams like LA and Chicago and ensure that guys like Brown and Keith "pay the price" for going after the twins.