29 replies to this topic

#1 sedinsassassins

sedinsassassins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone know if the Canucks are going to practice during the lockout? They practiced at UBC for the past week or 2? Also, I wonder if any or which Canucks will be assigned to the Chicago Wolves?
Go Canucks Go

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, Ebbett have been assigned to Chicago... I doubt that they practise as a team during the lockout. Probably more of an extended summer for them. Also some players might sign in Europe somewhere.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

You can assume that top talent will sign elsewhere, that could include Schneider, Luongo, Edler, Sedins, and Kesler. For everyone else, they slot into a spot where most NHLer's are right now, that being they are skilled players but not great enough to get attention overseas. With the deductions of those to the AHL and those to destinations in Europe the practice squad may only consists of 15 players. I fully expect the Canucks to stay in game shape regardless.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

^^ Sedins and Kesler most likely to take time off to heal/rest

#5 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Me and friends of mine doin practice with kesler , raymond , burrows , booth at UBC

Edited by 10Bure14Burrows, 16 September 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Forever Canuck !

#6 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Me and friends of mine doin practice with kesler , raymond , burrows , booth at UBC

i got your autograph

#7 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ryan Kesler will probably be signing with the Chicago Wolves around February when he's fully 100% healed. The Sedins won't sign in Sweden because the teams want them for a full year. They'll probably sign in the KHL if they want to play now or they'll wait until March and sign in Sweden when they can spend the rest of the year there.
Posted Image

#8 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Ryan Kesler will probably be signing with the Chicago Wolves around February when he's fully 100% healed. The Sedins won't sign in Sweden because the teams want them for a full year. They'll probably sign in the KHL if they want to play now or they'll wait until March and sign in Sweden when they can spend the rest of the year there.
Posted Image

#9 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Newbie question...how come Kesler could sign with the Wolves?...Is it cos he's currently injured?

#10 Linden4everacanuck

Linden4everacanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Kesler wont play because he is still injured and if he was to play he wouldnt get his salary as while he is injured he still collects his salary.

#11 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Sedins won't be going anywhere, both been taking a beating for years any they need the extra time! Kessler is injured and won't be back until January at the earliest, and he's another that could use all the time he can get! Kassian and ebbett and tanev most likely going to use this time to they're advantage
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#12 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Kesler can't go down to the Wolves as he would have to clear waivers.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#13 tybarber

tybarber

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

1.) Are there even waivers during a lockout? I don't think teams can claim a player.

2.) And if waivers were in effect and if he were to be assigned before October 1st he wouldn't have to clear waivers, right?

But I don't think he could do any of that because of the injury... But its all way too technical for me to understand anyway. He'll be making his salary while he's still injured, so I don't think he's too worried about it.

As for the Sedin's I thought I read some article a while back posted on CDC about them saying if there were a lockout they would just stay in Vancouver because their kids are in school and just work out together while the whole sitch gets resolved.

#14 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

I believe players still have to clear waivers to go to the AHL? Which is why all the guys on ELC's with two way contracts (who are not subject to waivers) like Kassian were sent down in advance of the lockout. Them and guys who nobody believed would be claimed (Ebbett, Desbiens).

Guys like Kesler, I believe (???) could be claimed by another team if he signed in the AHL...

Newbie question...how come Kesler could sign with the Wolves?...Is it cos he's currently injured?

#15 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

You can assume that top talent will sign elsewhere, that could include Schneider, Luongo, Edler, Sedins, and Kesler. For everyone else, they slot into a spot where most NHLer's are right now, that being they are skilled players but not great enough to get attention overseas. With the deductions of those to the AHL and those to destinations in Europe the practice squad may only consists of 15 players. I fully expect the Canucks to stay in game shape regardless.

Loungo? Ten bucks says your wrong, are you in?

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,097 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

The Sedins have already said they won't sign overseas as they'll be here with their kids in school. Kesler can't sign with the Wolves as he has a contract with the Canucks, so the AHL won't risk circumventing a lockout. Besides, why would Kesler sign for a low 6 figure deal?

He can't, injury or not. He has a contract with the Canucks and that would be respected by any AHL team, not just our affiliate.

1.) Are there even waivers during a lockout? I don't think teams can claim a player.

2.) And if waivers were in effect and if he were to be assigned before October 1st he wouldn't have to clear waivers, right?

But I don't think he could do any of that because of the injury... But its all way too technical for me to understand anyway. He'll be making his salary while he's still injured, so I don't think he's too worried about it.

As for the Sedin's I thought I read some article a while back posted on CDC about them saying if there were a lockout they would just stay in Vancouver because their kids are in school and just work out together while the whole sitch gets resolved.

1) There were waivers before the lockout, now there's just the lockout. Players that weren't assigned to their junior teams or their NHL team's AHL/ECHL affiliate can't play in North America during the lockout. If they want to play, they'll have to go overseas.

2) Even when there isn't a lockout, players who have to pass waivers to be sent down would have to do so at any time during the year. There is no "you're safe before October 1st" clause when it comes to waivers at any time.

The best way to think of the lockout is no changes that would affect NHL rosters at the time it was put into effect can be made. NHL players can't be traded or negotiate new contracts, and they also can't be sent down or anything like that. For players in junior, those teams can trade them to another junior team, but that doesn't affect their NHL rights. NHL-contracted players playing in the AHL or ECHL can be loaned to another team, but they must have been already sent down prior to the lockout.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#17 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

i got your autograph

Off course mr doughty
Forever Canuck !

#18 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Off course mr doughty

Adjusting navigational systems to compensate, Captain.

#19 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Well if you read Tony Gallagers stupid rant in the Province last week, the players might sit around trying to get 'out of shape' in retaliation for the lockout.

#20 Garrett-6

Garrett-6

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

there not alloud to practise as a team, like they can skate and everything but there not alloud to have an official team practise
Posted Image

#21 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

I wonder if they are allowed to go back to school?

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#22 Redemption2012

Redemption2012

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Didn't the canucks get in trouble for practicing in the 2004 lockout
Go Canucks Go!

#23 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Most players will probably find work somewhere else. Especially Hansen and Raymond, going to KHL and rip it up.
Posted Image

#24 nucksnavsfan

nucksnavsfan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

According to Kristen Reid on Twitter
players are practicing out at UBC and are wearing their Canucks jerseys inside out but Bieksa said that they will be getting NHLPA jerseys to wear soon
Bieksa, Schneider , Lappiere and Sedins have said that they have no plans to go play in Europe ( for now )
Kristen also said that the players are paying for use of the rink themselves.
On the Team 1040 earlier they said that the Oilers management went to the practice rink and took the players jerseys, socks , etc. with the Oilers logos so they couldn't use them during the Lockout, the Canucks have not done this at this point and likely won't if the players will be wearing the NHLPA stuff .
Kesler is a non-issue at this point since he was scheduled to not return until likely December anyways.
Hansen is the only Canuck so far to likely play in Europe sounds like he's headed to Denmark.
Any players that are going to play for the Wolves were sent down end of last week.
Apparently Hockey Canada is in talks regarding a Canada Russia series of games possibly during the lockout, at least that would be something.
The fact that the Canucks went out so early in the Play-offs makes this even harder on us fans since we already have had no hockey for quite awhile, ugh.
Posted Image Go Canucks Go Posted Image

I should change my name now that Sakic has retired but I'm too lazy ..... he was the only reason for the avs part .... goodbye and good luck Burnaby Joe !

#25 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Well if you read Tony Gallagers stupid rant in the Province last week, the players might sit around trying to get 'out of shape' in retaliation for the lockout.

Gallagher is a boob.

/=S=/

#26 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

The Sedins have already said they won't sign overseas as they'll be here with their kids in school. Kesler can't sign with the Wolves as he has a contract with the Canucks, so the AHL won't risk circumventing a lockout. Besides, why would Kesler sign for a low 6 figure deal?

He can't, injury or not. He has a contract with the Canucks and that would be respected by any AHL team, not just our affiliate.

1) There were waivers before the lockout, now there's just the lockout. Players that weren't assigned to their junior teams or their NHL team's AHL/ECHL affiliate can't play in North America during the lockout. If they want to play, they'll have to go overseas.

2) Even when there isn't a lockout, players who have to pass waivers to be sent down would have to do so at any time during the year. There is no "you're safe before October 1st" clause when it comes to waivers at any time.

The best way to think of the lockout is no changes that would affect NHL rosters at the time it was put into effect can be made. NHL players can't be traded or negotiate new contracts, and they also can't be sent down or anything like that. For players in junior, those teams can trade them to another junior team, but that doesn't affect their NHL rights. NHL-contracted players playing in the AHL or ECHL can be loaned to another team, but they must have been already sent down prior to the lockout.

Correct But Kes is on the injury list so I believe he's allowed a conditioning stink down there without going through waivers.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#27 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

lmao!!!

Oh Gallager, you joke

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#28 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'll try to explain this in depth to the best of my knowledge.

All players on two way contracts have AHL and NHL salarys built into their contracts, these two numbers are generally different with young players . Example. Frank Corrado's AHL salary is $65,000 and his NHL salary is $585,000.

With Kesler on LTIR his $5M salary isn't on the teams salary cap, and he still gets paid his $5M. If he was dropped down to the minors (Dumb idea) He would continue making his $5M. However, each NHL team can only have 5 veterans (players with more then 260 NHL games). So he would be a part of this statistic.

Since he is on LTIR, he would have to clear waivers on the way down to the AHL; and if he's cleared on the way down. He would also have to clear waivers on the way up (even with the lockout). Clearing waivers means every other team in the NHL has the option to 'claim' that player off of the 'waiver wire', thus assuming his contract. If multiple teams claim a player off waivers, the teams with lowest regular season points gets the claim. (There are some exceptions where NHL teams can assign a player to the minors as many times as they want without having to clear waivers.)

So to answer your question, all Canucks are signed with both Wolves and Canucks, and any player can be moved down... there just may be some implications.

Edited by Neufy161, 19 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#29 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Since he would be coming off LTIR couldn't he be sent down for a conditioning assignment like Salo was in 2010-2011?

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 19 September 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#30 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Kesler is NOT playing on the Wolves. Get over it.

Let's look forward to Shroeder, Kassian and Connauton getting some chemistry together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.