The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retro Gaming - Which old (10+ years) games do you play?

:D

I dunno about you guys, but when you played those classic games did any of you feel a sense of uniqueness?

What I mean is, games now for example Modern warfare I just play campaign once and say whatever and toss the game aside.

Back then, even though the games are far below today's standard I would just constantly play it to finish everything possible, to explore anything possible... Don't know it just had a different feeling to it.

I dunno about you guys, but when you played those classic games did any of you feel a sense of uniqueness?

What I mean is, games now for example Modern warfare I just play campaign once and say whatever and toss the game aside

Back then, even though the games are far below today's standard I would just constantly play it to finish everything possible, to explore anything possible... Don't know it just had a different feeling to it.

Guest Gumballthechewy

What I mean is, games now for example Modern warfare I just play campaign once and say whatever and toss the game aside.

I feel there are still plenty of unique games released nowadays, as well those that offer hundreds of hours of gameplay, along with those that offer replay-ability... although perhaps few to none that offer it all in the same package.

You can play a game like Skyrim for an eternity. A game like Fallout to approach the story (stories) through various different lenses. A game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution for multiple approaches to it's gameplay. So on and so forth (it starts to get subjective).

There's a lot of games still coming out that I feel are as good as or better than games I played as a kid.

Although there does also appear to be a rise in the amount of generic throwaway crap, in the form of your Modern Warfare's Mass Effect 3, and other such useless games. It's not exactly as if there's no crap in retro gaming, because there's a hell of a lot of it. But with those games it was more of a lack of money and talent to work with. Nowadays companies with all the resources they could possibly need, are instead ensuring that supposed AAA games are completely dumbed down in order to give them a mass appeal, rather than focus on quality. I call that a worrying trend.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Although there does also appear to be a rise in the amount of generic throwaway crap, in the form of your Modern Warfare's Mass Effect 3, and other such useless games.

Was trying Earthworm Jim, but I just got pissed and shut it off, lol. I don't know how I managed to play that one as a kid. Good game, but frustrating and difficult.

Also played X-Men 2: Clone Wars, but it's actually my first time trying it. I had never played the game before. Solid game as well, but it also manages to be difficult. It's like there are times where you're just walking straight into damage.

Guest Gumballthechewy

The first Deus Ex was such an awesome game. I was replaying it last winter and I was still finding out new things about it!

The original Half-Life was also really fun, it fact it's still one of my favorite games today and it seemed to take forever to beat!

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge plus with the Deezire mod installed was a blast!

And of course Diablo II, that's actually where I got my username from. When it first came out me and my buddy used to play it through dialup, I was a necromancer he was a barbarian, he named his Happyman, I named mine Gumballthechewy and a legend was born.

Oh I almost forgot! System Shock 2! That game was so creepy and awesome! I gotta try getting that one to work on Win7...

Played Streets of Rage 2 and Final Fight 3. Was able to finish finish Streets of Rage 2 on the one continue (I play this game often), but I wasn't able to complete Final Fight 3. Really crapty bossfights in that game, lol. But it's otherwise a lot of fun.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Last winter I downlo- er... found my old NES and played the original Legend of Zelda game.

I started playing on Saturday night around 6pm and finished the second playthrough by Sunday at around 11pm.

Ahh, fond memories from my bachelor days.

Then again I still do crap like that, ha ha! :P

Archived