The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do The Canucks Benefit From The Lockout?

cIutch

Simple Question

I Personally think they do. They have far less games to play (maybe) , time for kesler to heal , some rookies who may need that whole season can play in the AHL and stay sharp . Besides chemistry I don't see how a temporary lockout can hurt the canucks , if anything it lets there vets rest and there younger players (kassian , schroeder , tanev) play big minutes for the wolves

i know this can be said about many teams but for the canucks a team thats been on that verge of a cup with two back to back presidents trophys , i see it meaning alittle more

discuss

I think the Canucks do not benefit from the lockout unless it costs them the entire season. In that case, we have a chance to move up in the draft, just like in 05 when we were slotted 10th. Even if we get low-balled and receive a late first rd pick, it's a snake draft so if we got the 30th pick, we'd also recieve the 31st pick as well and with this being such a deep, and talented draft, wherever we draft will surely benefit us.

It's a win-win if this year's draft is a snake draft.

Depends.

If it's for the whole season then a big no, our core isn't getting any younger.

If it is until Christmas, then yes. Our prospects will have hopefully improved due to playing more minutes during that time, and since our core is pretty much the same as last year there shouldn't be a long period where they have to adjust to a different style of game.

That being said, I would rather have a full season than a shortened one with a small benefit to the team.

the only type of team that benefits from a lockout is a team like the oilers... they have a YOUNG core that has a year to mature and grow while not having to worry about the rigors of the regular season... they arent playing against guys like weber and chara night in and night out - and their is a good chance they will all be a little more filled out by next season.

the canucks on the other hand? we have an aging core (mainly daniel henrik and bieksa) and they are really in their prime right NOW - not next season... what will the sedins learn playing in the swedish league? they really don't have anything to learn.

the canucks cup window is closing, and the lockout doesn't even come close to benefiting us, UNLESS the season starts late and we get around 50ish games played... then the only benefit is a healthy kesler, less games to lose key guys to injury, and a fresher team come playoffs - but every other team gets those last 2 advantages as well

no good can come from this. Our older players loose a year while in their prime. Our younger players loose a year of development against nhl calibre talent. Our prospects will not feel much. Its another season ( if fully cancelled ) we dont get the cup. No Good

Archived