The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do The Canucks Benefit From The Lockout?

cIutch

A partial lockout is the best thing that could happen for the Canucks. We now have relatively old core players who are constantly banged up and whose biggest issue is combatting fatigue. Cut a couple of months of our season and we'll hit our peak just as playoffs start, not in February.

A full lockout however is the worst thing that could happen. We lose a year of our core player's prime and our window is immediately shortened. These Canucks have about 3 or 4 years left in their window before they start struggling to make the playoffs against their young, competitive conference rivals and cutting 1 year off that will hurt.

Lockouts, bottom line, are a lack of a collective bargaining (ed) agreement. A key problem is that the union is also made up of card carrying millionaires who play in Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina...

Trust me the owners in those locations (who loose their $200 MILLION investment in retraction) and their players are all lining up to get money from the Snyder's and Aquilini's of the world. The fact that 40% of the unions players, and 40% of owners with voting rights at meetings, play in these locations mean this conversation is critical to a solution; not the problem. We are in waaaaaay too deep to call it a problem!

But it's a dooozy of a conversation!

:rolleyes:

But do I feel sorry for the owners, Aquilini or others? Not a chance; they split up all the $200 million dollar franchise fee's and network TV revenue!

The result of the lockout will mean less player salaries which will basically cover the Aquilini equalization payments that go to the teams which are causing this lockout in the first place.

As far as Kes and time to recover - yes. And I also do think there was a bit of a burnout factor that comes with short off seasons after they'd depleted everything in the tank. So, to some degree, yes (as they should be chomping at the bit and fully rejuvenated). But they're also slow out of the gates at times and the dust settles so it could have the reverse effect.

Time will tell. Unfortunately.

no good can come from this. Our older players loose a year while in their prime. Our younger players loose a year of development against nhl calibre talent. Our prospects will not feel much. Its another season ( if fully cancelled ) we dont get the cup. No Good

dosent hurt?,....we have no idea how long this lock out will be with bettman in charge of things it could very well be all season ... everyone is gonna age and thats not good for us ...becuase we are by no means a young team the sedins get older, luongo gets older which is gonna make him even harder to trade ...no i dont think we benefit from this at all

Agreed.............I can't believe this is happening again and so soon. Can an Independent Arbitration Tribunal not be set up to look at the resolving of these issues before the season starts.

I love my hockey and I like to watch the AHL and my local team Fife Flyers ..............but it is nothing like watching NHL hockey......I'm sick fed up!!!

As for will it benefit us ..............No it won't. Kes is injured, the rest of them should be well rested. Let's get Manny and Raymond on the ice, let's see how Schroeder does, let's see how Garrison knits into the defensive set up, let's see what the weight difference has made to Kass's stamina............we need to see where we are, what we have, and what we need to get.

you do realize that they still can do this even if its a 48 game season right?

and i dont get the "kess is injured " stuff . thats exactly why it benefits us , gives his alot of time to heal , i truly dont understand your post

most of the people saying it it doesn't help the canucks are assuming this is going to last the whole season

do you people really think this is going to go past christmas?

Archived