The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should a Mentally Disabled Person/Child be Prosecuted to the Fullest Extent of the Law?

Avicii

Just a little debate i had with a friend the other day and would love to hear your guys' opinions.

Should a Mentally Disabled Person be sentenced to jail for killing a man, or should he simply be put into rehab or a psychiatric firm?

What about a child of 14 years old? Should he be helped in a mental hospital and given a second chance, or be prosecuted and be put in jail if he kills a man?

Jeez, this topic is almost as sensitive as abortion.

I believe a mentally handicapped person should NOT be prosecuted. I understand they are people, just like everyone else, and should be treated as such...but the fact of the matter is, they are not as capable mentally as a "regular person" would be. I have a cousin who is mentally handicapped and I know many of the minor choices in life that he makes aren't always of his own decision, but of the view of his disability.

For example, because he is handicapped he does not understand social limitations. One day while standing in line, at one of the Kamloops Blazers games, someone tried to get by him. This person did not excuse themselves or wait for a gap, the individual pushed my cousin to get him out of the way, and continued to walk. My cousin became agitated and glared at the man. This individual, clearly a hostile person by nature, began to heckle my cousin, calling him a "retard" and "dumbass", which upset my cousin who proceeded to sock him in the face. Immediately after throwing the punch, my cousin began to cry. He knew it was wrong, but he did not have the mental capability to stop himself from doing it. Just one example, and a minor one at that.

Then comes the problem of diagnosing a "mental disability". A man with down syndrome and a man with schizophrenia can not be placed on the same pedestal, because one is far more of a disability than the other.

It's a tough one.

Most kids 12 and up already knows what's right and what's wrong. If not, they belong to the "mentally diminished" category.

I believe that those who are mentally ill should be required to take medications. I know it's not PC to say it, since people should have the choice to not take medicine, but seriously, who actually benefits from having mentally unstable people wandering around?

From the point of law, it all depends on mens rea and actus rea.

Mens Rea = intent

Actus Rea = actually doing the crime

^ Both must be found to be prosecuted.

So in the case of a mentally disabled person.. did they MEAN to do it ? Or was it the better half of their disability

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it goes. Of course there are other factors too.

100% depends on the circumstances.

If they knew what they were doing, and carried it out then yes.

If their disability prevents them from fully comprehending what they are doing, then no.

As far as kids go, I knew not to kill people when I was 10 years old. The fact a 16 year old can kill someone and get away with it is pretty ridiculous.

From the point of law, it all depends on mens rea and actus rea.

Mens Rea = intent

Actus Rea = actually doing the crime

^ Both must be found to be prosecuted.

So in the case of a mentally disabled person.. did they MEAN to do it ? Or was it the better half of their disability

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it goes. Of course there are other factors too.

100% depends on the circumstances.

If they knew what they were doing, and carried it out then yes.

If their disability prevents them from fully comprehending what they are doing, then no.

As far as kids go, I knew not to kill people when I was 10 years old. The fact a 16 year old can kill someone and get away with it is pretty ridiculous.

Archived