The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How much per game do they lose?

Max-a-Million

The lockout isn't permanent. It will end eventually (I'm hoping for sooner, rather than later).

I would say in some cases it's an ego thing, and in others it's a sense of giving back to the community. But there are far easier ways to make money than owning an NHL franchise, so they certainly aren't doing it for the money.

Plus, imagine if you were the owner that finally succeeded in bringing the Stanley Cup to Vancouver. Imagine the status that would come along with that.

Yeah, sure, sports teams are expensive teams are fun toys for owners. But a lot of these teams, including the Canucks, are making crazy money. I should say, they profit hugely--they don't actually make any of that money, they just own and employ the assets and people who do.

My point is, our money passes through their hands. Just because they make a capital investment doesn't mean they are entitled to x amount of it.

Even that's not right. Just because the owner owns both the building and the team doesn't mean the team playing in it is necessarily profitable. While the arena may turn a profit hosting concerts, car shows, trade shows, monster trucks, figure skating, whatever, none of those things have anything to do with the team itself.

What if that owner also owned an NBA franchise. Should hockey revenue count towards the NBA salary cap just because they are in the same building? Of course not. The hockey franchise needs to be viable based on hockey related revenue. Not concerts or anything else.

Your math is flawed.

HRR = Hockey Related Revenue. Revenue does not equal profit. Revenue is just the amount of money that comes in and does not take expenses into account.

As for the last bit about owners and their greedy hands; if they were so greedy, they wouldn't have purchased a hockey team. Do you really think that Aquilini is in it for the money?

Your math is flawed.

HRR = Hockey Related Revenue. Revenue does not equal profit. Revenue is just the amount of money that comes in and does not take expenses into account.

As for the last bit about owners and their greedy hands; if they were so greedy, they wouldn't have purchased a hockey team. Do you really think that Aquilini is in it for the money?

Archived